(Poll) The Coaching Search that Wasn't: A Brief Review of Foolery

Mind Character

Is there a Record that Gets Freddie Fired after 1 year?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (In Reality) Is there a Record that Actually Gets Freddie Fired after 1 year?

• Yes; 5-11 and Truckstop Jimmy time is Nigh
    • Yes; 6-10
    • Yes; 7-9 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • Yes; 8-8 with the wrong losses and poor performances
  2. 2. Is there a Record that Would Make You Personally Believe that We Have to Fire Freddie?

• Yes; 5-11
    • Yes; 6-10
    • Yes; 7-9 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • Yes; 8-8 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • No; we've been through firing 1st year head coaches before and look what that got us ;we should stay the course

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

High risk play?  It’s an underhand toss to a dude a couple feet away.

How much safer can you make it?

Literally the only safer option is handing it to someone, and they managed to turn it over twice doing that too.

It’s pouring, you’re playing the best defense of all time and you can’t execute ANYTHING. 

Dumb play call

Just now, pnies20 said:

It’s pouring, you’re playing the best defense of all time and you can’t execute ANYTHING. 

Dumb play call

And when he plays it safe people kill him for not being creative enough.

It’s not high risk or wild or crazy, a lineman just got blown tf up and made an absurd play that only happens to the Browns.

• Like 1

I'm definitely on the outside looking in on this situation, but I've always believed your team was a 10 win team with all of the talent. I've always wondered why Freddie Kitchens? I understand his chemistry with Baker last season, but this is the Browns first real shot at being legitimately good. Why didn't they hire a proven head coach who could take the team to the next level?

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

I'm definitely on the outside looking in on this situation, but I've always believed your team was a 10 win team with all of the talent. I've always wondered why Freddie Kitchens? I understand his chemistry with Baker last season, but this is the Browns first real shot at being legitimately good. Why didn't they hire a proven head coach who could take the team to the next level?

Because of how well the offense played under Freddie last year and I don't think Dorsey wanted to interfere with that. Plus, who else was there that would have definitely been a better option? Arians maybe? Then again he's pretty old and may only coach for a few more years. McCarthy would have made some sense. Any other hire would have been just as risky as Kitchens, IMO.

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Because of how well the offense played under Freddie last year and I don't think Dorsey wanted to interfere with that. Plus, who else was there that would have definitely been a better option? Arians maybe? Then again he's pretty old and may only coach for a few more years. McCarthy would have made some sense. Any other hire would have been just as risky as Kitchens, IMO.

That's a fair point. I'm just very surprised at how dysfunctional the team looks right now. I live in south-central PA and am really hoping to see the Browns win the north rather than the Ravens. I know too many Ravens fans...

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Because of a serious mis-evaluation of the stakes at had during the hiring, as well as being illusioned by an 8-game sample size and chemistry with Baker into believing those qualities would translate to a quality Head Coach.

Of course, time and time again NFL teams never learn that:

1.) Success as a OC/DC does not translate always translate to success as a HC as the two positions requires differing skills, AND

2.) That success as an OC/DC often does not translate to success as a HC/OC or HC/DC

We also made the mistake of hiring a guy because of the relationship with our young franchise QB but that was short-sighted as well because you don't hire a guy because of one player even if that player is the most important player in the organization especially when that player is heading into their 2nd year. 

We needed an elite program leader in order to try to compete with the elite program leader led programs in the league. No matter what Freddie's success as an OC was he was never that. It was a decision that made sense at the time for many, but to a lot of us we knew it was problematic from the start.

Edited by Mind Character

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

That's a fair point. I'm just very surprised at how dysfunctional the team looks right now. I live in south-central PA and am really hoping to see the Browns win the north rather than the Ravens. I know too many Ravens fans...

Where at in South Central PA? I ask cause I used to live right outside of Harrisburg for a number of years... unfortunately.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Ah, okay. Not too far from where I was in Mechanicsburg.

Not at all. I've been up that way many times. It seems like the Harrisburg area is a bit of an even mix between Eagles, Steelers, and Ravens. Near the PA/MD border. It's Ravens, Steelers, a little Eagles, and a little Redskins.

• Like 1

This is a fair question to ask: What have you seen from Freddie Kitchens that leads you to believe he deserves to be a HC?

We are on pace to break a NFL record for penalties committed. This roster is better than last years roster and are worse in every offensive category than we were by this point last year.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This is a fair question to ask: What have you seen from Freddie Kitchens that leads you to believe he deserves to be a HC?

We are on pace to break a NFL record for penalties committed. This roster is better than last years roster and are worse in every offensive category than we were by this point last year.

On offense?

I don't know, you gain OBJ and you lose Njoku and Zeitler.  I'm not too high on WR as a position that really adds too much to a team's success.  I think it's kind of a wash.

But to answer your question not really anything.  I don't really know why people were sweeping skepticism about that hire under the rug.

Edited by Rod Johnson

One thing about hiring Kitchens, and it's proving to be true, is that he takes a hell of a lot of heat off Dorsey.  We got a guy who doesn't have the pedigree to have much input on the personnel decisions, probably something Dorsey wanted after Reid ousted him.  Arians, McCarthy, even maybe Gregggggg would probably assert themselves over the roster a lot more.  I think, unfortunately, that could have been a big reason for Freddie.

@Mind Character kinda already said all that but honestly I didn't even read the OP til just now lmao

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

One thing about hiring Kitchens, and it's proving to be true, is that he takes a hell of a lot of heat off Dorsey.  We got a guy who doesn't have the pedigree to have much input on the personnel decisions, probably something Dorsey wanted after Reid ousted him.  Arians, McCarthy, even maybe Gregggggg would probably assert themselves over the roster a lot more.  I think, unfortunately, that could have been a big reason for Freddie.

Yes and no.

He’s Dorsey’s hire at the end of the day and if he shts the bed that inevitably reflects on Dorsey.