(Poll) The Coaching Search that Wasn't: A Brief Review of Foolery

Mind Character

Is there a Record that Gets Freddie Fired after 1 year?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. (In Reality) Is there a Record that Actually Gets Freddie Fired after 1 year?

• Yes; 5-11 and Truckstop Jimmy time is Nigh
    • Yes; 6-10
    • Yes; 7-9 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • Yes; 8-8 with the wrong losses and poor performances
  2. 2. Is there a Record that Would Make You Personally Believe that We Have to Fire Freddie?

• Yes; 5-11
    • Yes; 6-10
    • Yes; 7-9 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • Yes; 8-8 with the wrong losses and poor performances
    • No; we've been through firing 1st year head coaches before and look what that got us ;we should stay the course

On 12/4/2019 at 11:58 AM, Mind Character said:

It's not about looking like a rookie HC as many rookie HCs from day 1 show and prove that they can implement a culture and skills development program at a high-level. They have the "it" factor. Frank Reich, Sean McDermott, Kyle Shannahan, are "it" factor HCs that even through the ups and downs and learning curve mistakes still had "it." Nothing is ever certain it's hard to see Freddie with and of the longterm winning "it" factors either as HC or OC right now. 

I hope like heck I'm wrong.

Exactly they all showed promise from the beginning 

which is what Freddie has failed to demonstrate 

and honestly there were not any great candidates this last coaching cycle. We didn’t miss out on anything you can’t hire a great coach if one isn’t available 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Exactly they all showed promise from the beginning 

which is what Freddie has failed to demonstrate 

and honestly there were not any great candidates this last coaching cycle. We didn’t miss out on anything you can’t hire a great coach if one isn’t available 

I understand what you both are saying here......I disagree with it, but I respect it.

1. I head Kyla Shannahan was being talked about as a bust as a HC, always said he had a great offense, when he went 6-10 and 4-12 in his first two seasons. He is Mike Shannahan's son and that got him some deferment along with the Garrapalo injury. (Freddie has already won more games in his first year at HC than Shannahan did in his first two)

2. Frank Reich....show'ed so much promise he was the 2nd choice for the Indy HC gig, after McDaniels stopped in the middle of the process. Not to mention Frank Reich started with a top 5 NFL QB on his team in the first year (AND he got two ALL-Pro rookies in the draft....how often does that happen...NOT PRO Bowlers....ALL PRO's)

3. McDermont has been solid......but if that is what you call spectacular and has the "IT" factor.....hmmm........Personally he reminds me of a Marty Schotenheimer, Mike Zimmer type....always solid, good D...but not a lot of "IT" factor there for me....

Not saying these are bad coaches......just saying over that last 8 games last year, Freddie show'ed he had the IT factor as an OC. His Offense has not been the same this year, but we have the NFL's leading rusher, and Two Wr's on pace for 1000 yard receiving seasons.....behind an Oline that needs some help. May expectations were set too high...

@MarkPrice25 @BleedTheClock 

That dream of a Head Coach change is lost. 

The best you can hope for at this point are the following:

1.) Replacing Ryan Lindley

2.) Turning over play-calling to Todd Monken

--- 

I happen to think neither of those 2 options is at all likely as Lindley is Freddie's guy, and Freddie is saving giving up play-calling as a last ditch maneuver to save his job down the line if these get worse. He's banking on roster improvement to further covering up deficiencies this off-season and he'll likely get them.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

@MarkPrice25 @BleedTheClock 

That dream of a Head Coach change is lost. 

The best you can hope for at this point are the following:

1.) Replacing Ryan Lindley

2.) Turning over play-calling to Todd Monken

--- 

I happen to think neither of those 2 options is at all likely as Lindley is Freddie's guy, and Freddie is saving giving up play-calling as a last ditch maneuver to save his job down the line if these get worse. He's banking on roster improvement to further covering up deficiencies this off-season and he'll likely get them.

I don't know. I'm not so convinced Freddie's job is secure.

17 minutes ago, brownie man said:

We’ll see but if he wanted to fire Chud after a year and fired Hue because the friction with Haley. Freddie has got to have him steaming 

Well he was cool with Hue after going 1-31 his first two seasons. Freddie already has twice as many wins in 13 games as Hue had in 40 games. Sure it's a better roster but with an equal roster last year (maybe a little better, the offensive line difference is the biggest factor) he won 2 games out of 6 coached.

Freddie may get fired, I won't pretend to know nor do I have any hunches but this team wasn't as good as we expected and I don't think coaching is the biggest issue.

• Like 1

I'm watching this Belichick and Saban Documentary on HBO I'd recommend it. 

It's at the part now where they talk about something I think its is interesting and that I havent' thought much about. 

They're covering how as defensive-minded coaches they impart their knowledge and defensive perspective to their QBs. They break the film down from a defensive perspective instead of an offensive perspective. 

I think that's an interesting way of looking at things. I want to fire Freddie and hire Ron Rivera and I think it could be beneficial if that type of relationship existed where the HC could work with Baker and school him on NFL defensives and how they think.