Week 9 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, N4L said:

I don't see Saleh leaving this offseason. I think he respects kyle too much to leave so soon. He is still very young. 

Lets just have Jed give him a pay bump. Idk what he makes now, but lets give him 2.5-3m or something like that to stay. That's low end HC money. That goes for all of our offensive staff. Just give them a nice pay raise and tell them how valued they are. 

I don't know why having respect for Kyle would have him pass up an opportunity that may never arrive again. 

11 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't think PFF has an axe to grind. They get plenty of praise from them. They're just grading based on their metrics. The 49ers have a great defense, and probably have several players in the top five of their respective positions. The All-Pro list was essentially listed the two 2 per position. Would have cool to have some more recognition, but that's fine. :) 

Yeah, I don’t think they do either. Not saying that’s intentional or anything. Just the bigger chip this team has on their shoulder the better. Getting some serious recognition now, #2 in most power rankings after this weekend and a lot of people saying how good they are. I just want the team to still play like underdogs each week and I think any type of lack of recognition/snub is helpful. Even if it is just Sherman making stuff up about people not shaking his hand. 

16 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Sherman is a great player, and leader. Just wish he wouldn't feel obligated to make up narratives to look like a victim. I understand it's maybe something for the team's benefit, but in the end it's just phony, and not necessary. 

He clearly tries to use anything as motivation. Was real fired up about what Pettis told him about the Panthers game plan when there was actually 0% chance that Allen would tell Pettis what their game plan was lol. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know why having respect for Kyle would have him pass up an opportunity that may never arrive again. 

I think its part loyalty, part knowing he is in a good spot, part getting a pay bump, and part knowing that he is doing great as a DC but that he sees how good of a coach Kyle is, and that the jobs carry vastly different responsibilities.

I just see the admiration and awe in his eyes when he talks about kyle. I think the respect for kyle, and seeing how he does what he does, could make saleh realize that he might not be ready, because he doesn't think he is as good of a coach as kyle.

"may never be there again" I don't think Saleh thinks about things this way. He is very philosophical. He knows that if he continues to coach good defense the jobs will be there. He is 40 years old. That is young for a coach.

More of a hunch than anything else, but I don't think he leaves this year. If we lose, I cant see him leaving early. If we win, how could he not feel like he could run it back and win again?  

8 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think its part loyalty, part knowing he is in a good spot, part getting a pay bump, and part knowing that he is doing great as a DC but that he sees how good of a coach Kyle is, and that the jobs carry vastly different responsibilities.

I just see the admiration and awe in his eyes when he talks about kyle. I think the respect for kyle, and seeing how he does what he does, could make saleh realize that he might not be ready, because he doesn't think he is as good of a coach as kyle.

"may never be there again" I don't think Saleh thinks about things this way. He is very philosophical. He knows that if he continues to coach good defense the jobs will be there. He is 40 years old. That is young for a coach.

More of a hunch than anything else, but I don't think he leaves this year. If we lose, I cant see him leaving early. If we win, how could he not feel like he could run it back and win again?  

Who doesn't want a promotion from their job? You don't think he has aspirations of being an head coach? I could buy maybe he wants to wait for the right opportunity, but the admiration for Shanahan means very little. He's not getting HC type of money being a DC in SF. Saleh needs to strikes while the iron is hot. Things change quickly in this league and if we lose AA next season and have some injuries to say Bosa/Buckner and the defense takes a big dip? Well, then he won't be as hot of an candidate and could have missed on some great opportunities. 

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who doesn't want a promotion from their job? You don't think he has aspirations of being an head coach? I could buy maybe he wants to wait for the right opportunity, but the admiration for Shanahan means very little. He's not getting HC type of money being a DC in SF. Saleh needs to strikes while the iron is hot. Things change quickly in this league and if we lose AA next season and have some injuries to say Bosa/Buckner and the defense takes a big dip? Well, then he won't be as hot of an candidate and could have missed on some great opportunities. 

Me. I am doing exactly what I want and where I want: Teaching Geography to 7th grade pre-AP students. No, I do not want 2x the money to be a principal and deal with 3-4x the headache.

Just FYI.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

there are absolutely people out there who do not want promotions at their job because they do not want added responsibilities. 

Why can't he get HC money here? If the team is winning games on the back of the defense, why wouldn't Jed give him a pay bump that doesn't count against the cap. We had one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the league under Harbaugh; Jed has shown he is willing to spend money when it matters, if nothing else. 

Not everyone defines success as ego driven job titles and money. The guy is philosophical and I bet if you asked him what a perfect world looks like, he would say its being an important part of a winning team with a great group of guys. I don't think he needs pats on the back or the added pressure/responsibility to be happy. 

'missed on some great opportunities' I think he would be walking away from a great situation here, and he knows it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, N4L said:

there are absolutely people out there who do not want promotions at their job because they do not want added responsibilities. 

Why can't he get HC money here? If the team is winning games on the back of the defense, why wouldn't Jed give him a pay bump that doesn't count against the cap. We had one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the league under Harbaugh; Jed has shown he is willing to spend money when it matters, if nothing else. 

Not everyone defines success as ego driven job titles and money. The guy is philosophical and I bet if you asked him what a perfect world looks like, he would say its being an important part of a winning team with a great group of guys. I don't think he needs pats on the back or the added pressure/responsibility to be happy. 

'missed on some great opportunities' I think he would be walking away from a great situation here, and he knows it. 

Shanahan "walked away" from a SB caliber team to be a HC at SF which won two football games the season prior. Do you think he regrets taking this job? Sure, some rather stay put at where they are and not go for promotions, but this is a man that has coached coast to coast while giving up a really good paying job over a decade ago. You really think he doesn't want to test his limitations and take a shot at being a HC?

And so do you think he will be getting HC money here? Do you think he will want to stay a DC forever? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Hasn't Josh McDaniels rejected promotions multiple times?

He's waiting for the right opportunity and obviously there are rumors he will take over for BB. But I mentioned a few days ago if you want to say Saleh would turn down jobs if they aren't the right ones? I can buy that. But I cannot buy him turning down HC gigs because of how much he respects to Shanahan. McDaniels has been taking HC interviews damn near every summer. He's not just saying I'm content on being a OC for the rest of my career because I don't want HC responsibilities or how much I respect BB. McDaniels knows he's already failed once and can't fail again as an HC or else it is over for him. Different situations. 

• Like 1

Definitely agree with J here. Saleh might not want to be a HC right this moment. But he's a competitor to the utmost. And ALL competitors want to compete at the highest level and are always looking for new challenges and new heights to attain. Might not be this year but if he has a couple of years of fielding great defenses, he will look for the next challenge. I just don't see him being content as Kyle's defensive sidekick for the foreseeable future just because they've got a good thing going currently. The D. LeBeau's of the NFL coaching circles are few and far between. Most coordinators aspire to run their own show and leave their own mark as HCs at least once in this profession. He'd still be coaching LBs if he didn't...

Edited by 757-NINER