Week 9 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Sherman made #3 on PFF's list of their top cornerbacks this year thus far.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-cornerback-rankings-week-8-2019

The offensive line made it up to 6th place, which is a surprise given the injuries. Brunskill and Skule have played well.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-week-8

George Kittle made their midseason All-Pro team. But that was the only 49er. No one else, not even any honorable mentions :( 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2019-midseason-nfl-all-pro-team

Edited by PapaShogun

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To put it in further perspective, on 81 pass rush snaps, he has two QB sacks, two other QB hits and four QB hurries. 

The sample size obviously needs to be bigger, but man that is being very productive in limited snaps and taking advantage of the time he is out there.

I commented after seeing him live a couple weeks ago that he looked much better this year and his first step was incredibly impressive. I know he’s not getting a ton of time and is not the fan favorite on the team, but I feel pretty good about him becoming a very very good starter for us next year. I’m assuming we won’t have Armstead back. And if we do, I can live with a line that has some type of rotation including Buck, Bosa, Ford, Armstead, and Thomas. Puts us in an amazing spot even if we have someone go down for awhile. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Sherman made #3 on PFF's list of their top cornerbacks this year thus far.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-cornerback-rankings-week-8-2019

The offensive line made it up to 6th place, which is a surprise given the injuries. Brunskill and Skule have played well.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-week-8

George Kittle made their midseason All-Pro team. But that was the only 49er. No one else, not even any honorable mentions :( 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2019-midseason-nfl-all-pro-team

Cool, kinda like Sherman keeps saying, keep doubting us. Stick with where you were at at the beginning of the year. If some guys get snubbed this year, only will add to their fire as the year goes on. 

• Like 1

If there was a trap game on our schedule, this Cards game would be it. On paper and comparing records, this should be an easy win, but i have a feeling this game will be closer than most expect. The only thing that worries me is Murray's mobility, but if we can keep him contained and keep our foot on the gas, we should come out with the 'W'.

Very much looking forward to seeing E. Sanders progress and watching picks 1&2 going at it, would love to see another strong showing from Bosa.

rolling on to 8-0!!!

1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

If there was a trap game on our schedule, this Cards game would be it. On paper and comparing records, this should be an easy win, but i have a feeling this game will be closer than most expect. The only thing that worries me is Murray's mobility, but if we can keep him contained and keep our foot on the gas, we should come out with the 'W'.

Very much looking forward to seeing E. Sanders progress and watching picks 1&2 going at it, would love to see another strong showing from Bosa.

rolling on to 8-0!!!

I said the same thing on the podcast leading up to the washington game. This was the one I had circled as a trap. Big game against Carolina, short week, travel, big game coming up against Seattle. 

That being said, while I do think that there are circumstances that do level the playing field just a bit in Arizona's favor, I think the talent difference wins out in the end. They may be hyper competitive and play well, keep things close, but in the end, I think we pull away . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Cool, kinda like Sherman keeps saying, keep doubting us. Stick with where you were at at the beginning of the year. If some guys get snubbed this year, only will add to their fire as the year goes on. 

Don't think PFF has an axe to grind. They get plenty of praise from them. They're just grading based on their metrics. The 49ers have a great defense, and probably have several players in the top five of their respective positions. The All-Pro list was essentially listed the two 2 per position. Would have cool to have some more recognition, but that's fine. :) 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

McDaniel and Saleh are going to get their looks this offseason for sure. 

The hilarious part would be if Saleh got a head coaching gig and wanted McDaniel as his OC. I'd be curious if Kyle would allow it. Before, he blocked people before on the premise of not calling plays, so it wasn't a upgrade. If Saleh gets a job as a HC and wanted to bring along McDaniel as an OC, he would clearly be calling plays and his role would certainly be an upgrade. 

Damn, I love Sherm!!! Just one hell of a leader and he's pretty much taken over the leadership on this team and has basically become the face of it. 

All this talk about this being a trap team, but like Sherman said, elite teams come right back and dominate the following week.

Thursday night games are always a bit tricky, but this team is SPECIAL. 

Just now, Forge said:

The hilarious part would be if Saleh got a head coaching gig and wanted McDaniel as his OC. I'd be curious if Kyle would allow it. Before, he blocked people before on the premise of not calling plays, so it wasn't a upgrade. If Saleh gets a job as a HC and wanted to bring along McDaniel as an OC, he would clearly be calling plays and his role would certainly be an upgrade. 

Definitely would be the dream scenario for a team to have Saleh as the HC and McDaniel as the DC.

I wonder who Saleh tries to take from our staff to make as the DC if he gets the HC gig? Ryans? Or does he just take over the DC reigns on top of being the HC? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Damn, I love Sherm!!! Just one hell of a leader and he's pretty much taken over the leadership on this team and has basically become the face of it. 

All this talk about this being a trap team, but like Sherman said, elite teams come right back and dominate the following week.

Thursday night games are always a bit tricky, but this team is SPECIAL. 

Sherman is a great player, and leader. Just wish he wouldn't feel obligated to make up narratives to look like a victim. I understand it's maybe something for the team's benefit, but in the end it's just phony, and not necessary. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Agreed. When we made that deal, I fought really hard against the premise that he should be playing 70% of the snaps just because we are paying him a lot of money. While I'm a little surprised at 33% (I do think that is slightly health related - I would expect something closer to 50% if fully healthy). We don't pay him to stop the run. We just don't. We pay him to disrupt the passing game. There's no reason to put him out on the field for something he's not good at when we have plenty of people on the team who are good at it. I never understood the sense of that. Make the team on the field worse. Make Ford worse. All because we just happen to be paying him a bunch of money? 

fun fact: Dee Ford is listed on our roster as a LB

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't see Saleh leaving this offseason. I think he respects kyle too much to leave so soon. He is still very young. 

Lets just have Jed give him a pay bump. Idk what he makes now, but lets give him 2.5-3m or something like that to stay. That's low end HC money. That goes for all of our offensive staff. Just give them a nice pay raise and tell them how valued they are.