The Good, the Bad, the Ugly vs. Tennessee

RaidersAreOne

The Good:

• Giorgio FREAKING Tavecchio. One of the best debuts ever.
  • Lynch looks like the old school Beastmode. The run where he ran over Casey >>>
  • Crabtree was on fire and made some tough catches with awesome YAC
  • Carr was poised and
  • O-line. Minimal penalties, good protection and opened up holes
  • The DEFENCE!?!?! We held a solid Tennessee O in check for most of the game.
  • Fantastic run D
  • Jared Cook is a good TE and has opened up our entire O
  • Patterson is an elite STer
  • Mack

The bad:

• Alexender in passpro. Happy Newhouse was put in
  • Holds vs. Mack were out of control
  • Irvin on back to back plays where he caused a penalty

The ugly:

• Cooper's drops. He dropped 4-5 catchable balls today. He looked great when he actually held on and got YAC, but he needs to fix those hands asap.
  • Mark Davis's haircut

I thought Vanderdoes was excellent. He broke through their oline several times and got close to Mariota, forcing him to throw early and it was him who got a hand on him to force him back towards the sack. 

KJo was really good too. Good coverage on that one play and man, he puts guys down - just floors them.

Coaching is improved. Especially Offense, not as predictable and more aggressive. I LIKE IT!!!

Defense looked scary at first but turned in a good game overall. We need our rookie DB's to contribute.

Special teams looking really good.

Carr looking good overall with coach able moments to hit elite. Got sacked/hit and looks like the injury won't linger in his mind.

Lynch looking GREAT and used properly. Smurfs contribute and could use more time but hard to pull Lynch.

Cooper is a STUD that hopefully got all his drops out this first game. It'll just motivate him to improve and he will. Crabs looking great and Cook is definitely what we've been missing.

Oline did good/great tough D today and some pressure now will give coaches something to work on. Alexander got schooled a bit.

Defense is bend and bend and bend don't break. LOL

As long as teams have to slowly drive down the field, we should be good. I'd love an addition or three on Defense but this late in the season it's rare to get quality. Maybe after the tanking teams have tanked, they might trade away what talent they've got. Jets, Browns, SF were looking at you...

PS I liked Romo, putting him with his friend made him sound relaxed and like hanging out with you at your house talking football. 

34 minutes ago, G said:

I'd love an addition or three on Defense but this late in the season it's rare to get quality. Maybe after the tanking teams have tanked, they might trade away what talent they've got. Jets, Browns, SF were looking at you...

By the time it gets to tank time, the young guys should have the snaps under their belt to be playing well if today was a barometer. I think we should just roll with the youth and build these young guys into good players and a solid unit while they are on their rookie deals. No need to add high priced vets. We already have Mack, Irvin, Nelson and Smith.

@RaidersAreOne summed it up pretty well.  I'm more forgiving of Coop but it seems I'm alone there so I'll shut up

46 minutes ago, G said:

Coaching is improved. Especially Offense, not as predictable and more aggressive. I LIKE IT!!!

Defense is bend and bend and bend don't break. LOL

PS I liked Romo, putting him with his friend made him sound relaxed and like hanging out with you at your house talking football. 

Hell yeah the coaching was better.  Downing called a good game.  Nothing really to nitpick about.  Other than maybe calling a screen again with they pinned their ears back.  And Alexander getting reps.  But that's nitpicking

On defense it was definitely bend but don't break . Keep the ball in front of you.  They basically dared Mariota to beat them deep and he didn't.  Pretty good defense today and I wonder what Pagano's influence is.

Really enjoyed Romo too.  He'd diagnose things immediately

I liked how aggressive they were on offense. A lot of empty sets got to let Carr make the plays.

Cooper could have had a monster day but his hands and still hit and miss, but did a good job getting two first downs when needed.

Defense line was so good today with containing the run. Didn't expect that.

Would like to see more blitzes to help out the pass rush especially on 3rd down. 

J.Cook and Paterson already showing why Reggie went out and signed them.

Raiders got a big win week 1 that could set them up to possibly go 3-0 in a couple of weeks.

I agree with S&b88 Romo was good and was refreshing. 

One thing Oakland did very well was get the lead and just control the clock. Less time the defense is on the field the less they can get exposed. 

Shalom Luani on the first play of the game.   That was huge.  

I'm pretty sure Jalen Richard had a pretty important play on 3rd down in the 4th quarter.  It was a sweep run to the outside to get us a very important first down.  

Really enjoyed the discussion going on during the game about our OC against their DC.  New school beat old school today.

Good

:Special teams. From Luani 's heads up recovery on the first play of the game, to Giorgio's legendary debut, to Patterson making plays in the return game and on punt coverage. Great game by this unit.

:Carr was Carr. Played a really clean game, didnt force anything, did a nice job distributing to all of our multiple weapons, and made nice audibles in the run game. That throw to Roberst was sweet. 

:WR Core as a whole. This unit looks beastly. Everyone of them made plays today. Seth Roberts owns the Titans soul

:Run Defense. Man was this a pleasant surprise against a top 3 running team last year. The young dlineman and LBers showed up.

:BeastMode. Just amazing to watch him run. Every handoff is exciting whether its a one yard run where he miraculously goes through two guys or whether its him truck sticking one of the better DTs in the league in Casey. Having a RB who can close out games for us is huge.

:Jared Cook. It feels good finally having a TE who needs to be accounted for and can actually non manufactured plays on his own. Dude has great hands and speed I know Carr is going to love utilizing him all year.

BAD

Third Down Defense. It improved a bit in the second half but were still shaky here.

That 3 play fail of a sequence by Cooper in the redzone. He needs to be better. That was so frustrating to watch because you know he has the talent to make those plays. I like it that we are actually targeting him down there, though. Maybe hell get better as the year goes on.

Irvin German Suplexing Murray and getting the personal foul. 

UGLY

The Refs missing the blatant holds on Mack throughout the game.

Refs not calling roughing the kicker on that one punt

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

What was scary is that we didn't use Cooper vertically, he dropped a ton of balls, and he still ended with 5-62 and a touchdown. This was a "bad" game for him.

We didnt really attack down field this game. The Titans were being exotic and sending all kinds of blitzes so I guess our gameplan was to get the ball out quick and get yac.

And yeah, Coop is such a frustrating stud of a player to watch lol. Im glad hes finally being targeted in the RZ though

16 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

We didnt really attack down field this game. The Titans were being exotic and sending all kinds of blitzes so I guess our gameplan was to get the ball out quick and get yac.

And yeah, Coop is such a frustrating stud of a player to watch lol. Im glad hes finally being targeted in the RZ though

That may not be a permanent thing though after what happened today. They won't forget about him but Carr definitely has the image of inconsistency in his head there.

Archived