Willie Snead Gets 1-year Extension

baltimoreRebel

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

*Not anyone. No one was celebrating Hayden Hurst, especially those of us wanting them to get Lamar.

I can't recall anyone who mentioned Hurst as a possible target. Whatever discussion happened afterwards about Hurst, it was quickly shut down because we discussed Lamar when he was picked.

I can understand the move. I like Snead and he has showed chemistry with Lamar earlier. He can both block and pass and is our most vested receiver in the group. I do believe he and Hurst can co-exist in this offense, and he has some feistiness that we need from the position. Neither Brown, Boykin, Roberts, Andrews, Hurst has much dog in them. Snead has it a little bit and Boyle has two because he is not athletic enough to make people miss in open space, so he have to punish them instead.

If this is setting up a trade that involves moving Hurst for Kerrigan, that would definitely be a little surprising to me. Not because Hurst is that great but because (jokes aside) he's still a young and more importantly cost-controlled asset whereas Kerrigan is 31 and is probably equally likely to get cut in the offseason even if he is traded here compared to seeing out the last year of his deal. The rumor about us trying to make Hurst a makeweight in a Ramsey trade makes sense given Ramsey is a young/cornerstone player but it'd be more surprising to see us give Hurst up for what's essentially a rental. 

Ngakoue is the obvious target we'd have in mind as the kind of guy we'd be trying to package Hurst with draft picks to get, but it seems unlikely the Jags are going to move him given they're in the playoff hunt now and probably have more leeway to pay him now that they also don't have to extend Ramsey. 

• Like 1

I like this extension. Makes sense to keep Snead around. He’s a good slot option (Particularly at price) and consistency year to year in the WR corps is a good thing for Llama’s development. Even though we didn’t end up making a deal, the cap space opened Rolls into next year anyway, so it’s not a waste from that perspective. Also allows some continued flexibility in case of further injury and we need to sign street FA or claim someone off waivers. 

4 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I like this extension. Makes sense to keep Snead around. He’s a good slot option (Particularly at price) and consistency year to year in the WR corps is a good thing for Llama’s development. Even though we didn’t end up making a deal, the cap space opened Rolls into next year anyway, so it’s not a waste from that perspective. Also allows some continued flexibility in case of further injury and we need to sign street FA or claim someone off waivers. 

But....we already have a slot WR in Mark Andrews who offers everything Snead does but is vastly cheaper for the next couple of years.

Andrews isn't a slot receiver. He's a slot tight end. There is a difference, and it shows in who he shares his allotment of snaps with. Having Snead around for another year is not a bad thing. If nothing else at least he's capable and at least mostly dependable. Going years and years without much of that around at that position should make us all grateful that the Ravens are finally getting some real depth there.

As long as Brown and Boykin develop like they seem to be doing the receiver group is looking nice with Snead included. Then there's the tight end group that also inspires some confidence. I don't think there's much need to be in a panic about the skill positions anymore. Hope they stay healthy and keep the offensive line strong now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

As long as Brown and Boykin develop like they seem to be doing the receiver group is looking nice with Snead included. Then there's the tight end group that also inspires some confidence. I don't think there's much need to be in a panic about the skill positions anymore. Hope they stay healthy and keep the offensive line strong now. 

I wonder if Jaleel Scott still figures in their plans?