The Trade Deadline is Almost Upon Us

Robb_K

Will The Vikings be able to grab Trent Williams away from The Redskins at an unbelievable bargain price just because they've made absolutely no progress negotiating with him, and realise he'll never play for them again, and just want to get SOMETHING for him? 

Is there any other team that wants him more than The Vikings do? 

Could The Vikings fit him under The Salary Cap for the last 7 or 8 games?

The Vikings basically have zero cap space.

The biggest weakness of the team right now is pass blocking on the interior, but there’s no way they try to replace anyone by trade. OL cohesion is important, and their 5 starters have really gelled over the last month, working well together in the run and screen game.

Reiff in particular has been excellent recently. Adding Trent Williams who hasn’t played or practiced this year and has a rocky injury history might not even be an upgrade at this point.

The cornerbacks haven’t been great but their struggles have been a little overblown. Can’t see them trading Rhodes or anyone else away.

The bigger weakness on defense is the interior pass rush but I doubt they‘ll look to add anyone to what’s already a crowded DL depth chart. More likely they just give more chances to depth players. Odenigbo has been used regularly as a nickel DT the last couple of games. Might see them try Holmes or even Watts next to him, as Weatherly has been underwhelming inside, and Mata’afa sadly hasn’t been able to produce at all.

• Like 3

Yeah, no cap space to do anything. I would've loved to got Williams from NYJ I believe he is better in a 4-3 than 3-4. Atkins is a perfect target if had space. Interior pressure is something this team severely missing. QB's are avoiding Hunter/Griffen by stepping into the pocket to pass or run. Also would allow the CBs to be more aggressive 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

Not interested in trading a first for Trent Williams, because that is what it will cost given that the vikes will likely be picking in the 20s.

Now if Brandon Scherff could be had for a second round pick, I’d think long and hard about it. 

CB and DT depth could be improved but I doubt there is anyone who would help. Leonard Williams would have been interesting to add. Maybe Atkins in the Bengals move him.

Edited by vikingsrule

Couple that "no cap space" along with no significant history of trading in-season in the first place means that this is the team they likely have going forward.  Getting Holton Hill and potentially Josh Doctson back can already be considered equivalent to trades since neither one has played this season.  The only likely scenario would be trading back for Nick Easton again (which was the last in-season trade they made) since he seems to have already fallen off the radar in New Orleans.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

yeah given we have no cap space i haven't even considered it a realistic option for us to trade for anyone. which means we'll be sitting with this load of picks come draft time:

1st round - 1 pick

2nd round - 1 pick

3rd round - 2 picks (comp pick for richardson)

4th round - 1 pick

5th round - 0 picks (trade for kaare vedvik)

6th round - 1 pick

7th round - 5 picks (comp picks for trevor siemian, tom compton and andrew sendejo; trading away danny isidora)

so we already have 11 picks for this upcoming draft and given spielman's tendencies we'll probably end up with 10 7th round picks. should be fun!

Edited by whitehops

Just do something about Rhodes and Elflein.

If they can’t, which they probably can’t because we have no cap room, then like the poster above me noted, it can’t hurt trying out one of the depth players.  At least at these positions. 

I also think Josh Doctson could be a great pick up late in the year.  That’s just a hunch though. As for OL, maybe Brett Jones will get a shot? Maybe we trade for someone. 

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

We don't have anybody that we should look to trade away, right?

Rudolph is the only one that comes to mind if the Vikes wanted additional draft capital for 2020. But since Morgan isn’t returning this year, depth would be thin so not likely to happen.

Cant really think of anyone.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

We don't have anybody that we should look to trade away, right?

Not anyone that would have value around the league. The guys that I would consider trading away are the same guys that I would consider cutting for roster space.

• Like 1