The Trade Deadline is Almost Upon Us

Robb_K

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Nothing is going to be done about either player.  Elflein, because he's been very good at run-blocking, and Xavier, because there's no one better.  

To start, I didn’t really expect us to do much   It was more hope in my words than actual foresight. 

There’s no one better? Currently, any CB on our roster would be better. Zimmer is a good coach but he is also being a bit stubborn I would say.  

And as for Elflein...   no comment.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I would consider Rhodes and/or Rudolph for appropriate picks.

If you feel good about Hughes having a bigger role in the starting lineup, it’s worth considering. However, not having a decent #4 could hurt us, Hill won’t be ready for awhile. For a team pushing for a playoff spot, it’s probably more advantageous just to hang onto Rhodes. Rudolph on the other hand, I have a hard time believing that Conklin couldn’t play his role and have just as much of an impact. Depth is my concern there however.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

You must have forgotten about Kris Boyd...and Holton Hill hasn't played since the preseason.  That's an awful statement.  

I wouldn't call the statement awful. I can see reasons to think either of those guys would be better. Both offer hope for improving as they learn. Sometimes the hope that comes with an unknown is better than something that is known to not be good enough.

All that said, personally I would be sticking with Rhodes. I just disagree with this characterization of the statement. It is easy to understand what that statement is about especially having watched Rhodes through the last season and a half.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

You must have forgotten about Kris Boyd...and Holton Hill hasn't played since the preseason.  That's an awful statement.  

Awful?   Because it doesn’t align with your opinion?

Im not worried about Hill’s temporary absence.  He should be a step up from what Rhodes has been.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

If you feel good about Hughes having a bigger role in the starting lineup, it’s worth considering. However, not having a decent #4 could hurt us, Hill won’t be ready for awhile. For a team pushing for a playoff spot, it’s probably more advantageous just to hang onto Rhodes. Rudolph on the other hand, I have a hard time believing that Conklin couldn’t play his role and have just as much of an impact. Depth is my concern there however.

The Kearse incident probably makes the trade a no-go, now that I think about it.  I agree on Rudolph, but think it might not be to hard to get a third TE (don't know who would be out there though). 

11 hours ago, Krauser said:

The Vikings basically have zero cap space.

The biggest weakness of the team right now is pass blocking on the interior, but there’s no way they try to replace anyone by trade. OL cohesion is important, and their 5 starters have really gelled over the last month, working well together in the run and screen game.

Reiff in particular has been excellent recently. Adding Trent Williams who hasn’t played or practiced this year and has a rocky injury history might not even be an upgrade at this point.

The cornerbacks haven’t been great but their struggles have been a little overblown. Can’t see them trading Rhodes or anyone else away.

The bigger weakness on defense is the interior pass rush but I doubt they‘ll look to add anyone to what’s already a crowded DL depth chart. More likely they just give more chances to depth players. Odenigbo has been used regularly as a nickel DT the last couple of games. Might see them try Holmes or even Watts next to him, as Weatherly has been underwhelming inside, and Mata’afa sadly hasn’t been able to produce at all.

I agree with a lot of what you said but I cannot agree with the fact you think interior pass rush is the biggest weakness on the roster.  Sure if they got sacks and pressure up the middle the DBs would not have to cover for as long so that could take care of the problem.  But Rhodes and Waynes have gotten beat constantly this season and they make little to no plays on the football and few interceptions or even deflections.  They get beat a lot and that has been a huge problem for this defense not being able to get off the field at times if the pass rush does not get home.  The pass rush is helped by the fine edge rush they get so interior play is not as key as bad CB play I feel.  

Sure trading Rhodes will not happen but the fact is Waynes and Rhodes have sucked this year, especially Rhodes compared to what he once was.  Maybe Hill coming back will help but even when Hughes has gotten some run at CB out on the field or boundary side he has not held up either especially in contest jump ball situations.  We need a CB who can actually make a play on the football and fight for the ball or be quick enough to get ahead of the receiver. 

Would love Javon Kinlaw in the 1st round no doubt if a top line CB is not there and that is very possible to have happen.  Still CB has been the biggest weakness on the roster I feel this year especially since Waynes will most likely be gone next year and the backups have not been great either unless Hill is amazing or something, Alexander and Hughes have not shown the ability to play anything outside of slot corner honestly, and even that they are just ok at it so far.