I love what Minkah has added to this team

mwalker

On 2019-10-30 at 6:43 AM, Ward4HOF said:

:Thumbs Up:  👍

:Thumbs Up:  👍

It was a risk, but I do not feel it was as big of one as your feel it was, but hey, hindsight is 20/20, I know.  Believe it or don't, but I honestly felt it was a reasonable gamble from the get go; it was widely known that the Dolphins asked him to play out of 'position' for most of the season, so far, so I wasn't worried about his potential...I was more worried that Butler/Tomlin would misuse him, as well.

True, but again...the gamble was easily worth it.  He's displayed 'top 10' talent, quite a bit, last season, with the Dolphins.

And yes, I'm afraid we are stuck with Edmunds.  I thought he was slowly progressing, but it appears that he's likely as good as he'll ever be, and were he a day 3 pick, I have no doubts that his job would be in jeopardy.

for s SS, I rarely see him hitting RB's and being the typical tone setter a Strong safety can be. I do see him miss tackles too often though, so maybe this is a good thing. He will be here for another 2 years, mark it down, get used to it.

Fitzpatrick is a stud.  I had him rated very highly in that draft.  Edmunds, on the other hand, I had as a 4th or 5th rounder.   I was livid when they drafted him.  He looks the part, but he sure isn't.  His brother leaves a lot to be desired too.  He had decent stats due to dumb luck, but you could see he had zero leg drive on some runs and his vision and COD were sorely lacking as well.  He just looked clumsy.  But that's what you get when your top 3 backs go down and you're rolling with PS scrubs.  

I didn't like the Fitzpatrick trade, and time will tell what the opportunity cost of the trade was.  I didn't hate the trade either, but I did think it was rather dumb to give up a 1 and a 3, for him and some lesser picks (I forget the exact details of the trade right off hand).  If that pick would've been a top 5 pick, and we would've lost out on a Nick Bosa or a stud QB, horrible trade.  If it's mid-round, then it's a good trade.  Now if Rudolph doesn't look like the guy, it is possible that Jacob Eason from Washington could slide and be within striking distance with that early-mid 2nd rounder and the 3rd comp, along with a very early 4 (if we got the Dolphin's 1 instead of the Titan's).  Still have normal 4, no 5s, but have 6 & 7.  

2-Steelers = Isaiah Simmons, LB/S (trade 2, 3 and 4 to move up into 1 if he slides to there and you're rolling with Rudolph/Ben at QB)
3-comp -traded for Simmons
4-fins? - traded for Simmons
4-Steelers = RB
6-Steelers = DL
7-Steelers = DL

To the guy who thinks Laviska Shenault is a late rounder, think again.  Walterfootball has him going to the Fins at #12 with our pick.  That dude is a STUD when healthy.  I watch every Colorado game I can.  He's a beast with the ball in his hands.  Then again, Jacob Eason is going #9 in that mock, as the #3 QB taken.  Isaiah Simmons is going #20 in that mock, as a S.  I wonder about him as a nickel backer, or a box safety on run downs......or a full time Linebacker in the Shazier mold.  He's probably my favorite player in the draft off the top of my head.  Eason is my favorite QB.  If Walter is on to anything, there are going to be some stud WRs going in late 1.  Tee Higgins at 31, Justin Jefferson at 28, etc.  AJ Terrell, CB, would be a great pick in 2 IMO.  Haden isn't getting any younger.  

Don't think Simmons will be around at 20.
He's got such special size and speed, I think he's gone much sooner.
Too high to go up and get him (in my opinion). I like him too, but he'll
only shoot up boards as a modern NFL ILB after a productive year and
a killer combine. And he'll have a killer combine. It's also not a great
year for ILBs. 

There will likely be a very good corner there, at our pick in 2.
Probably a  pretty good DT too. 

I'd be interested in people's opinion on the mid round receivers, because when
I look, I see a lot of possession types. I like J.Reagor and L.Shinault (agree with you,
he's a playmaker) but when we get into the mid rounds, I'm very iffy.

6 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

This is the best Steelers defense in a long time 

that isn't saying much though, as the defence has been bad for the better past of the last 5 years IIRC. Agree they have improved drastically, they appear legit now anyways.  The TO count is getting up there, where as in years past the TO count was low

8 hours ago, August4th said:

I hope colbert finds a way to make this defense even better next yr(bud pending free agency will be tricky) and Ben comes back and be at-least 80% of his old-self, I can this team being built for a SB run in 2020.

Ben is the issue though, because he wasn't good last year (according to pay scale) and looked bad this year.  He won't have AB either, which was his outlet often in games, scramble or play breakdowns. 

The defence though , is possible to keep  but it will require some restructures or possibly some trades and releases.  As it is, if Dupree is for real, you have him, Watt and Minkah, but Minkah still has a few years left. It would be good if they could roll with Duck or Mason  (eventually, probably not next year, Ben will be starting next year) and get an elite defence once again finally.  Especially consider if Bush, Watt, Dupree and Minkah keep getting better, add the return of Tuitt and steady great play from Heyward and this defence would be legit. It appears legit now, but should get better. I am actually (finally after so many years) seeing this defence as a team that can compete with legit playoff teams.

This would be about 9 years ago as the last time the D was quality. Maybe 2011 was still good but I can't say 35 sacks and 15 TO's are good at all.   2010 defence had 48 sacks and 35 TO's, went to the SB and was much better than the 2011 squad. Having CB's that can actually catch now also will help.  I can see 60 sacks and 40+ TO's for the 2019 defence if everyone mostly stays healthy from here on. It's still not without weaknesses but it's  better than the last 8 years. Finally, I can look forward to watching games even when the defence takes the field. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I wonder if Bud will not end up being a sign/franchise and trade

I would think that this is where this season will lead. My biggest concern would be the time frame. If we Franchise Bud and suck up the funds needed for Hargrave/Hilton -- there is a chance we lose all 3 by the time we find a deal for Bud. 

I really dont know the time frames (and am too lazy to google right now), but if that's the case i would be a little wary. 

50 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

I am no expert at this, but why are we still up against the salary cap?

We did not pay Leveon he is gone, are we still paying AB anything after this year ends, if so why?

Does anyone know where we stand cap wise?

Biggest reasons are gonna be because of who is gonna get paid.

JuJu is gonna be due, TJ Watt is gonna be due. Speculation is they'll extend AB because he is only gonna be making $5M in 2020. 

As it stands without doing any of that apparently we are gonna be $1M over the cap. Then to get costs down itd require the cutting of guys like Chickillo.

It was all pretty much explained on a recent episode of the terrible podcast where he described how we could clear $14/M but that itd get eaten up by new contracts.

1 hour ago, Lambert44 said:

I am no expert at this, but why are we still up against the salary cap?

We did not pay Leveon he is gone, are we still paying AB anything after this year ends, if so why?

Does anyone know where we stand cap wise?

Doesn't Ben make $30+ Million next year? That there is a big chunk.