Draft Approach

mwalker

4 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

The Steelers are all in the next few seasons..they aren’t going to start selling off starters for mid rd picks...that needs to happen in a few years but not now.

They aren’t blowing up the defense that could be even deadlier with a healthy Tuitt and another year of Edmunds development.

Theyre going to resign 1 of Bud/Hargraves...figure out LG and try to add another weapon on offense with a healthy Big Ben with an extension or 2, a few obvious cuts and restructures...The End.

And with this we're a SB contender. I'd rather not pull the plug on a contender. I don't understand why some fans are so keen on tearing everything down and starting from scratch. I know it's exciting to get high draft picks but shouldn't the Browns be a cautionary tale for us? 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jebrick said:

Build a great team and worry about the QB later.

If possible, control the line of scrimmage on both sides, and everything else will either fall into place or at least have potential to be good enough.  How many times have teams got their franchise QB/RB only to have them fail or get hurt because the OL was lacking.   Look at Bell now vs when he was with steelers, a prime example

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've got to say, @Ward4HOF, I disagree with just about everything you laid out there. I really hope none of that happens. 

How is Finney "untouchable" and JuJu isn't?

Basically, my point is, Finney has proven to be solid at two positions of need, while Foster and our 'Pro Bowl' Center, Pouncey, are past their prime, so if we can rid ourselves of their Cap Hits, while ensuring we keep our best, and inexpensive OL on the team. Feiler and Finney have proven to be better than Pouncey, and Foster is too old to pay a premium.

I'm obviously not explaining myself properly, and maybe I should have placed Juju in the 'absolute' category, as opposed to the 'nearly' category, but my point is simply that we need to make smart financial decisions this off-season, as well as starting to prepare for life after Ben, and we can't do this by always being pushed up against the max Cap, and with Washington's breakout season, and Diontae looking like a future stud, I'm just meaning to say we are flush at some positions, like WR and RB, but when it comes to OL, we can't afford to keep throwing money at guys who are past their prime.

And in the case of Bud, we can't afford to overpay him based upon one season, like we've done in the past with the likes of Colon, or Cortez...nor tie up a major portion of our Cap into 2 players at the same position (Edge)

I'm just throwing out some options, I guess, to ensure we do not continue to fester in the world of 'dead cap' hits, restructures that almost force our hand to keep declining talents, or franchise tags...we are no longer in Ben's prime, and hoping we can get to the SB next season if we hold on to all our high-priced talent; I'm just saying we need to be smart about how we navigate this soon-to-be period of post-Ben, and not leaving ourselves any money is not the right option, I guess...

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

If possible, control the line of scrimmage on both sides, and everything else will either fall into place or at least have potential to be good enough.  How many times have teams got their franchise QB/RB only to have them fail or get hurt because the OL was lacking.   Look at Bell now vs when he was with steelers, a prime example

This is a critical piece to what I am trying to say--we ahve a top 10 WR...wait, no, that was last season...we have 3 'decent' WRs, but no Ben, and look, no one is breaking out.  RBs??  Same thing, which is why, IMO keeping Hargrave and Finney are key to our success over this transition.

What has Dupree done, before this past season, to believe he is a key piece into moving forward...compare that to Hargrave...who has been more consistent.  Who is going to cost more, and which one is more easily replaced this next draft, and lastly, which position has higher potential back-ups already on the roster.  My point?  Pay Hargrave, let Dupree walk, and select from one of the deepest Edge-rush draft classes in the past decade, which, BTW, will lead us to another maybe 3rd, but likely 4th Rd compensatory pick next draft.

Let's think 'smart' for a change, instead of holding on to a 'maybe', like Dupree...we've been burned by these FA-Pay-Day seasons before...

Solidify our DL (Tuitt-Hargrave-Heyward) and OL (Villanueva-DD-Finney-Feiler)--let's keep the lower-priced, over-achieving talent over the over-priced, underachieving talents.

And finally, let's draft what the draft gives us, rather than trying to fill holes with what's left over in a weak class of DBs...(Burns, Edmunds, and a host of others over the past decade)

This draft is deep in QBs, OT, Edge Rushers, WRs, and RBs, for certain. It looks like a good 10-12 CBs could be picked in the first 50 picks, bur after that, IMO, it doesn't look great, so we miss out on CBs again. So, again, let's take what the draft gives us, rather than 'reach' for talent to fill a hole. So maybe Haden does need to be 'kept', and not traded, as I originally mentioned, to get us through this next season. But DL doesn't look great this draft, so getting rid of Hargrave would be a big mistake, IMO.

My overall point in this thread is has been to basically align our Free Agency with the draft class, and be smart in how we navigate this off-season...over-paying Dupree, when we can likely find a suitable replacement in the top 100 picks of the draft. And while we have a class of QBs that appear to be deep, let's grab one now, rather than 'reach' for one in a yer or two when, regardless of how good the QB class will be, we'll HAVE to take one, out of desperation. 

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Basically, my point is, Finney has proven to be solid at two positions of need, while Foster and our 'Pro Bowl' Center, Pouncey, are past their prime, so if we can rid ourselves of their Cap Hits, while ensuring we keep our best, and inexpensive OL on the team. Feiler and Finney have proven to be better than Pouncey, and Foster is too old to pay a premium.

I'm obviously not explaining myself properly, and maybe I should have placed Juju in the 'absolute' category, as opposed to the 'nearly' category, but my point is simply that we need to make smart financial decisions this off-season, as well as starting to prepare for life after Ben, and we can't do this by always being pushed up against the max Cap, and with Washington's breakout season, and Diontae looking like a future stud, I'm just meaning to say we are flush at some positions, like WR and RB, but when it comes to OL, we can't afford to keep throwing money at guys who are past their prime.

And in the case of Bud, we can't afford to overpay him based upon one season, like we've done in the past with the likes of Colon, or Cortez...nor tie up a major portion of our Cap into 2 players at the same position (Edge)

I'm just throwing out some options, I guess, to ensure we do not continue to fester in the world of 'dead cap' hits, restructures that almost force our hand to keep declining talents, or franchise tags...we are no longer in Ben's prime, and hoping we can get to the SB next season if we hold on to all our high-priced talent; I'm just saying we need to be smart about how we navigate this soon-to-be period of post-Ben, and not leaving ourselves any money is not the right option, I guess...

But remember, life post Ben means life post Ben's contract. That's about a $30M a year savings. I think we will be able to afford to keep all our weapons. Johnson, Washington, and JuJu will be fairly affordable for awhile. I doubt JuJu demands top $ unless he blows up next year, and if he does that's fantastic and we should pay him. 

I do agree with you about the line. Finney is better than Foster and Pouncey. I just don't think we can keep him. I don't really think he's a superstar, so I wouldn't keep him at all costs. I like our O-line depth. I'd maybe start Banner at RT next year and Feiler at LG. In a perfect world we would ditch Foster and Pouncey and save a boatload, but I don't think they will win Ben coming back. Cutting Foster only saves about $4M whereas Pouncey saves $8, but I think gutting the leadership of the team like that, all at once, ultimately hurts us. 

EDIT- Also, I wanted to add. Don't sleep on Derwin Grey on our PS. Dude is a monster and looked pretty solid at times during camp and the preseason. I think he will compete for a spot on the interior. Actually, the more I type, the more I want to cut Pouncey and Foster. Ben would have to be cool with it. I just worry that Feiler, Finney, and Banner being on the line hurts our pass protection. Our run game would benefit but I'd hate to see those guys trying to protect rickety Ben.

Edited by MOSteelers56

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

What has Dupree done, before this past season, to believe he is a key piece into moving forward...compare that to Hargrave...who has been more consistent.  Who is going to cost more, and which one is more easily replaced this next draft, and lastly, which position has higher potential back-ups already on the roster.  My point?  Pay Hargrave, let Dupree walk, and select from one of the deepest Edge-rush draft classes in the past decade, which, BTW, will lead us to another maybe 3rd, but likely 4th Rd compensatory pick next draft.

He didn't do anything and was more of a back up  than a starter, and a reason many are critical of this 'contract year'  moving forward.  IF, and that is a major IF, Dupree was to play as good as this year or perhaps improve, then it wouldn't bother me as much . Thats a major IF though, because only 1 good year (most of the time, still disappears in some games) is a reason to reconsider. This is another reason I don't like them playing Chickillo , because they could observe how Ola and Skipper are vs legit nfl pro's right now instead of waiting until next year once dupree is gone.

Hargrave has been more consistent but no idea what will happen especially with Tuitt returning next year.  

22 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

But remember, life post Ben means life post Ben's contract. That's about a $30M a year savings. I think we will be able to afford to keep all our weapons. Johnson, Washington, and JuJu will be fairly affordable for awhile. I doubt JuJu demands top $ unless he blows up next year, and if he does that's fantastic and we should pay him. 

I do agree with you about the line. Finney is better than Foster and Pouncey. I just don't think we can keep him. I don't really think he's a superstar, so I wouldn't keep him at all costs. I like our O-line depth. I'd maybe start Banner at RT next year and Feiler at LG. In a perfect world we would ditch Foster and Pouncey and save a boatload, but I don't think they will win Ben coming back. Cutting Foster only saves about $4M whereas Pouncey saves $8, but I think gutting the leadership of the team like that, all at once, ultimately hurts us. 

EDIT- Also, I wanted to add. Don't sleep on Derwin Grey on our PS. Dude is a monster and looked pretty solid at times during camp and the preseason. I think he will compete for a spot on the interior. Actually, the more I type, the more I want to cut Pouncey and Foster. Ben would have to be cool with it. I just worry that Feiler, Finney, and Banner being on the line hurts our pass protection. Our run game would benefit but I'd hate to see those guys trying to protect rickety Ben.

Good point about the leadership 'hit' on the OL with Foster/Pouncey...Maybe we keep Foster another season...let him finish his contract, and try to 'trick' another GM into trading a pick for Pouncey. 

I'd also seriously consider attempting to trade Washington, while he is on a career 'high'.  Why?  We have the similar-style, potentially better WR in Deon Cain.  We keep Juju, Diontae, and Cain as our top 3, while maximizing value on Washington, who now is, a bona-fide NFL receiver who is just 23 YO (4 months older than Cain). I honestly feel Cain can be a 'Boom' asset for us as not only our deep threat, but our Red Zone threat, next season, with the proper tutelage, whereas I feel Washington is likely maxed out.  And with Diontae as our 'AB-light', and Juju as our all-around 'stud' and possession WR, Cain would round out those talents nicely.  And to hedge our bets, we grab a similar 'type' WR from this deep class, to 'push' Cain, or 'beat' him, whatever, then I think we have that similar type of situation we had with AB, Wallace, and Sanders.

If we can secure one extra pick, and one 'pick swap', turning a 4th into a 2nd or 3rd, we'd be right back in business...Ideally, I'd really like to see 2 x 2nds, a 3rd, and 2 x 4ths...or something to that effect, if at all possible, and I believe we have the talents on the Roster to make that happen. Add in a couple of late round insurance picks, maybe one of those we fill with safe, known NFL commodity who might have fallen due to an injury that keeps him out of 2020 season...IDK, again, spitting out some ideas.

But as I pointed out in an earlier post, let's grab guys from the deep draft-pool positions of QB, WR, RB, OT, and Edge...and possibly CB, if the trend of underclassmen CBs declaring continues... 

So, let's say we get lucky with a couple of trades, and end up with a 2nd,  2 x 3rds, and 2 x 4ths, with a 6th and 7th

Edge in the 2nd...like Josh Uche.  In the 3rd, a versatile OL/OT type like Throckmorton, plus a CB like Lavert Hill or Troy Pride Jr...and maybe in the 4th, a RB like Eno Benjamin, and a QB, such as Kellen Mond, Sam Ehlinger, or Jamie Newman, then whatever is left over as BPA in the 6th and 7th??  Hard to accurately gauge who will move up or down, after Combine and Pro Days...

Thoughts??

If they retain dupree then I do not see an EDGE being drafted. 

The Steelers desperately need a TE but this is a really weak class.  I could easily see them taking a TE in the 2nd but only if it is the 1st TE off the board.  IOL could be another need for this draft..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I bet the Lions cut him. He's done nothing and Hockenson has potential. James was never worth what they paid him.

Another former Steeler would be McClendon...he’s a FA...33 but would be a fine stopgap.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously depending on how the picks go, Mid to late Rd  to UDFA guys I'd like to have a shot at...

Mims WR Baylor

Quartney Davis WR Texas A&M

J. Jennings WR Tennessee

Wilcox TE South Florida

Cooley TE Ole Miss

Bredeson OG Michigan

Kindley OG Georgia

Elliott DT Mizzou

Hamilton DT OSU

Benito Jones DT Ole Miss

Tipa Galea'i Edge Utah St.

Trevon Hill Edge Miami