Ups/Downs Week 1

MOSteelers56

I didn't limit this to 5.

Ups:

Defense looked pretty stout for the most part.

Red Zone offense looks good enough.

Ben looked decent outside a few throws.

AB is a stud

Jesse James looked good in the redzone.

Tj Watt looks like he could be really good.

We won

Downs:

Injuries: Bud and Tuitt need to get back.

Penalties

Receivers not named Antonio

Bell looked bad and so did the run blocking

UP:

1. Antonio Brown - Just another great day at the office.

2. TJ Watt - Welcome to the NFL.

3. Jesse James - Two TDs to start the season.

4. Defensive pass rush -  They attacked all day. Easily Chickillo's best game as a Steeler.

5. Block punt and TD - First time since '98.

DOWN:

1. Penalties - 12 penalties is simply unacceptable. I don't care if it's the first game of the year.

2. Tuitt's injury - Hopefully it's nothing serious yet being a fan I'm fearing the worst.

3. 14 points for the offense - They should have lit the Browns defense up.

4. Le'Veon Bell - He looked ordinary. Hopefully he shook off the rust.

5. WRs other than Brown - Just four catches on the day.

Up

Watt looks for real, maybe give him jersey #99 if he keeps playing like thisxD

AB

D pressure (but qb  allowed a few)

we won

James

down

refs - terrible on the one drive that gave the browns yardage 

bell

offence was rusty and as mentioned above they only got 14 points vs the browns

tuitt's injury 

Not sure what to make, but I think the Browns have a Qb and Williams at DC also helps them.  We need to play better and for the entire game.

Ups:  

TJ Watt - looking pretty good.  Almost outright beat Joe Thomas for 2 sacks.  Later on did actually get 2 sacks and almost had a 3rd, but they were more coverage sacks than the 2 he almost had (actually 3 he almost had).  They were able to use him in space a lot as well, which is what I said on draft day.  He's a complete linebacker, not a pass-rusher only.  More in the Greg Lloyd mold than the Kevin Greene mold basically.  

Antonio Brown - Stud.  

Jesse James - 2 TDs and hung on the goal post once lol.

Special teams - blocked punt/TD.  Enough said.

Eli Rogers - got Brown off PRs and didn't fumble or do anything stupid.  

Downs:

Tuitt hurt.

Ben rusty and a bit off

Bell rusty and a bit off

Bryant rusty and a bit off - all that rust showed and the entire offense was rusty and out of sync.  Ugly.

Way too damn many penalties!  JuJu especially.

Overall, I'd say the Steelers were lucky to be starting the season off against last year's worst team that was starting a rookie QB that isn't that great.  Otherwise they lose.  

1 hour ago, stillersenat said:

I didn't see the game...so which was the issue? Bell or the run blocking?

Honestly, I'd say the O-line. Every time Bell would bust anything there'd be a holding. He never got into a rhythm and the playcalling wasn't great. Bell looked good on a few runs but was a little out of sync with Ben in the passing attack.

A win's a win.  Even if it's ugly and against Cleveland.  Bodes well for Tomlin's seasonal record when he wins the first game if anyone saw that...

Up:

AB  - He's an absolute stud and worth every $ we paid him

Jesse James - Didn't take kindly to Vance "Big Mac" McDonald being brought in.   2 big TDs and a nasty block.

Dirty - Blocked punt may have saved our bacon

TJ Watt - Tremendous debut.  Helping to heal the wounds of the Jarvis era.  2 sacks, could have had 3 + INT

Chickillo - He is a bamf if you catch my drift, TD & 2 sacks

Nix - Damn bully.  ST nastiness.  When everyone else is trying to jump on the blocked punt in the endzone, he turns around ready to hit someone. Gotta love it.

Sean Davis looked pretty good - didn't watch the all 22 but what I saw looked good

VW was a man possessed

Heyward back to form

Tuitt was a beast before getting hurt

Burns & Haden held their own for the most part.  Haden with the sack! & a nice PD

Alualu represented well after Tuitt went down

Shazier fast and physical

Down:

OL - Out of sync, especially in the first half.

Bell - Looked pedestrian especially in the first half.  MIssed a block in the open field.

Vance - Dropped pass & aggressive but sloppy blocking

Martavis

Tuitt's bicep

DL got bullied in short yardage in second half

Haley

3 hours ago, stillersenat said:

I didn't see the game...so which was the issue? Bell or the run blocking?

The blocking was terrible.  You'd swear you were watching the Vikings from last year when they were starting 4th stringers.  Ok, maybe not that bad, but it was a big let down based on how good they've looked in recent years.  It was a very bizarre game.  The Browns surprised them with playing their safeties 25 yards deep and playing tight up front, and the Steelers didn't seem to be able to do much of anything until the 2nd half when Down Town Brown started lighting it up.  Thank god he came to play.  No one else did much of anything except James on easy passes from short yardage for TDs.  The inside TE screen to him on the goal line was a sweet play, both in design and execution.  Ben was a bit off which didn't help matters.  Hopefully getting their feet wet today will knock the rust off and Ben, Bell and Bryant can get things rolling, which would in turn get the OL rolling better by using the pass to set up the run.  (long answer huh? lol)

44 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

A win's a win.  Even if it's ugly and against Cleveland.  Bodes well for Tomlin's seasonal record when he wins the first game if anyone saw that...

Up:

AB  - He's an absolute stud and worth every $ we paid him

Jesse James - Didn't take kindly to Vance "Big Mac" McDonald being brought in

Dirty - Blocked punt may have saved our bacon

TJ Watt - Tremendous debut.  Helping to heal the wounds of the Jarvis era

Chickillo - He is a bamf if you catch my drift, TD & 2 sacks

Nix - Damn bully.  When everyone else is trying to jump on the blocked punt in the endzone, he turns around ready to hit someone. Gotta love it.

Sean Davis looked pretty good - didn't watch the all 22 but what I saw looked good

VW was a man possessed

Heyward back to form

Burns & Haden held their own for the most part.  Haden with the sack!

Down:

OL

Bell

Vance

Martavis

Tuitt's bicep

Haley

Who is Dirty?  Matakevich since he blocked the punt??

Just really sucks that we are probably going to have to watch another week or two like this before everyone clicks. This first team really didnt take too many snaps together in the preseason. Everyone seemed to miss some time somewhere. It will gel, its just painful to be so excited about a team and have them come out and seem like they just met each other for the first time ever yesterday morning. 

Felt like someone from the OLine was always out during camp/preseason as well. I expect those guys, who have played together for quite some time now, to be okay, but it wasnt. I expect that group to get cleaned up quickly, however. 

Just some thoughts:

- Do our safeties have any idea how to tackle? From Ryan Clark, to Mike Mitchell, and now we saw Wilcox...they give themselves more concussions because they have no clue how/where to hit than they do dealing punishment to others.

- I just get disappointed in Eli Rogers. I don't think he is anything more than an average dude - which is fine, but man I think he is in a fantastic spot to make plays. AB, Bryant, and Bell are on the same field as you... he should be killing everybody. The defense probably has no idea he is even on the field covering everybody else, and unfortunately I feel the same way when I am watching games sometimes. (JuJu -- we all knew you were on the field....thanks to penalties). 

- For the life of me, I couldn't understand the game calling on offense. I get being on the road, I get its an aggressive defense, I get we were struggling to gel... but we acted like we were the ones playing the rookie QB. I just don't get it. 

- Was surprised Brown came off the field in some single receiver sets. Looked like JuJu was taking some of those lone looks for blocking most likely (COUGH). Strange to me. I would think its a better setup to pull a safety away with Brown on the field than it is to hope a receiver can block on the edge. Oh, and AB is amazing. He should never leave the field. 

- Is there an over under in Vegas for .5 kick returns for TD for the Steelers? Probably as easy money as there will ever be. 

- TJ has the hustle, the will, and the athleticism. I may have to apologize to him after the season...

- The Browns should ask nicely if Antonio Brown can not play next time -- In his last 6 games against the Browns: 818 yards, 4 TD's, and an 80% catch rate of targets. Yikes. He is going to break the 1,000 yard mark in his career vs the entire AFC North this year (160 to go against Ravens, 22 vs. Bengals), but he is crushhhhhing the Browns. 1,312 and 7 TD's career against the Browns....

- A win is a win in the first few weeks of the NFL, but man it sucks to look bad. Oh well, 1-0. Tighten it up. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

- For the life of me, I couldn't understand the game calling on offense. I get being on the road, I get its an aggressive defense, I get we were struggling to gel... but we acted like we were the ones playing the rookie QB. I just don't get it. 

The defense was giving the Steelers the mid level throws but the Steelers never seemed to adjust.  2 deep safeties and 9 men in the box.  The WR were having trouble getting off the line in press coverage.

I was thinking the same thing. They could have run more slants and crosses and even slipped someone inside underneath.  I will agree that the blocked punt for TD and penalties kept the offense off of the field or out of sync for much of the game. however, wen they did throw, why not do to the Browns what the Patriots do to us? You want to play off the ball ten or fifteen yards, then I will keep throwing underneath until you adjust.

giphy.gif

Archived