2019 Offseason (eating crow)

dll2000

The truth is that Pace has made such a disastrous situation for himself that he should probably sort it out, because I am not sure if real options will take it.

-2nd overall bust at QB
-Limited picks
-Limited cap spaces

I am fascinated to see how he fixes this before he is fired.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The truth is that Pace has made such a disastrous situation for himself that he should probably sort it out, because I am not sure if real options will take it.

-2nd overall bust at QB
-Limited picks
-Limited cap spaces

I am fascinated to see how he fixes this before he is fired.

If he fixes it, he won't be fired.

• Like 2

Outsider perspective..

Your GM traded up for a QB who had 1 year starting experience in college and was all potential. In order to make that move, you have to get a coach/OC to develop that talent. Enter Nagy who to this point hasn't been up to the task of developing the young QB. 

Then Pace went all in acquiring Mack, leveraging any future and protection against Trubisky busting. He also leveraged a lot of cap on signing players like Burton who is to this point a FA bust. And his other signings have underperformed along the Oline. 

Now he finds himself with a QB treading water. A HC who looks over his head more and more as the weeks go by. And limited cap space to really fix anything. 

The hope now is he can catch lightning in a bottle at QB. No cast off FA signings are going to move the needle. And what can you draft without a first round pick.

Hate to say this... but reminds me of former Bears teams. New coach, 1 off season dominated by defense, then regress make to the median the years that follow under bad coaching and QB combinations. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have 0 faith in his ability to fix it.

Well then you at least have to have faith in Nagy to.  That's why he was hired after all.

Again if he cannot fix it going into next season then they are both gone regardless.  Not much else to really say about it.

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Outsider perspective..

Your GM traded up for a QB who had 1 year starting experience in college and was all potential. In order to make that move, you have to get a coach/OC to develop that talent. Enter Nagy who to this point hasn't been up to the task of developing the young QB. 

Or maybe Trubisky just sucks that much.

Then Pace went all in acquiring Mack, leveraging any future and protection against Trubisky busting. He also leveraged a lot of cap on signing players like Burton who is to this point a FA bust. And his other signings have underperformed along the Oline. 

Or maybe Pace and co. realized at that point that they needed a difference maker defensively because Trubisky was horrible.

Now he finds himself with a QB treading water. A HC who looks over his head more and more as the weeks go by. And limited cap space to really fix anything. 

I don't get this. Nagy has called plays all year where the receivers are open. Trubisky is just that bad and either misses them or doesn't see them. What else can Nagy do? Get them 8 yards of separation instead of 6?

The hope now is he can catch lightning in a bottle at QB. No cast off FA signings are going to move the needle. And what can you draft without a first round pick.

Hate to say this... but reminds me of former Bears teams. New coach, 1 off season dominated by defense, then regress make to the median the years that follow under bad coaching and QB combinations. 

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If he fixes it, he won't be fired.

What's a practical plan for fixing it given the lack of draft picks and cap space?

Seems the only really answer is to catch lightning in a bottle with a QB signing. Either getting a surprise from a vet finding stride in Nagy's system or a Minshew like nobody saw it coming rookie surprise.

They will have some attrition potentially with pending FAs and limited cap to resign them (Trevathan, HaHa). Mack steps up to a whopping 26 mil cap number I read. 

Going to have his work cut out for him.

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Or maybe Pace and co. realized at that point that they needed a difference maker defensively because Trubisky was horrible.

I don't think they made the Mack trade because they realized that Mitch was horrible but rather because the defense desperately needed a pass rusher and you had a rookie QB on a pretty team friendly deal for the next 3 years.  I'd rather Mack than whoever we would have gotten in the 1st round last year and this coming draft since he is an All Pro and there is no guarantee any 1st round pick pans out.

In hindsight the Mack trade probably bought Pace a bit more time as GM. It was a sound move at the time but won't end up mattering if they don't figure out the QB spot soon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What's a practical plan for fixing it given the lack of draft picks and cap space?

Seems the only really answer is to catch lightning in a bottle with a QB signing. Either getting a surprise from a vet finding stride in Nagy's system or a Minshew like nobody saw it coming rookie surprise.

They will have some attrition potentially with pending FAs and limited cap to resign them (Trevathan, HaHa). Mack steps up to a whopping 26 mil cap number I read. 

Going to have his work cut out for him.

What about the unused cap roll over from this year and the cap going up next year?  I believe I already calculated it in another thread but with the expected releases of Kyle Long and Mike Davis next off season Bears should be working with somewhere around $40M in cap space.  That's not too bad at all and gives Pace flexibility to make the needed moves.

Or maybe Trubisky just sucks that much.

Then probably shouldn't have leveraged their future on him knowing he was a raw, 1 year starter with traits. 

They learned that last offseason, traded for Mack because of it. Didn't add a capable backup this season and hyped Trubisky all offseason? Doubtful. 

I don't get this. Nagy has called plays all year where the receivers are open. Trubisky is just that bad and either misses them or doesn't see them. What else can Nagy do? Get them 8 yards of separation instead of 6?

Maybe run the ball more. Get Trubisky in space more. Stop all the gimmicky little motion plays that fool nobody?

Regardless, that's more him as an OC. Him as an HC is more suspect. You don't succeed for a 41 yard FG. That's bad game management and example for your team. Then double down on how you'd do it a thousand times over. And apparently not discuss where your kicker would prefer to kick it from. That's bad head coaching. Arrogant and not overly smart. 

I'm genuinely interested to see if he looses the locker room going forward. 

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

What about the unused cap roll over from this year and the cap going up next year?  I believe I already calculated it in another thread but with the expected releases of Kyle Long and Mike Davis next off season Bears should be working with somewhere around $40M in cap space.  That's not too bad at all and gives Pace flexibility to make the needed moves.

Does that include Macks 26 mil figure next year? 

If they have 40 mil workable, that's great. Still no easy answers at QB even if you have the cap though.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Regardless, that's more him as an OC. Him as an HC is more suspect. You don't succeed for a 41 yard FG. That's bad game management and example for your team. Then double down on how you'd do it a thousand times over. And apparently not discuss where your kicker would prefer to kick it from. That's bad head coaching. Arrogant and not overly smart. 

That's more on the special teams coach Chris Tabor IMO.  I'd like to think Nagy consulted with him prior to telling them where to kneel for the kick.  Tabor should know better to put his kicker in the best position to succeed based on his strengths.  How do we also not know that maybe Mitch messed up on the kneel placement?  

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Well no ****. In hindsight they obviously wouldn't have leveraged the future to make that deal. I'm saying when they dealt for Mack, perhaps it's because they realized they needed more ammunition.

What else did you want them to say going into the year, 8 months after a heartbreaking playoff loss and into the 100th season? "Trubisky sucks?" By the time they get to the meaningful **** in practices, it's August. Who did you expect them to acquire in August?

Get Trubisky in space? He escaped from the pocket and dropped the ball for no reason on Sunday. He never sets his feet in the pocket, so I'm not sure more throws on the run is helpful. Nagy also isn't doing a lot of gimmicky stuff anymore, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. He did run on the ball on Sunday, and Trubisky still turned the ball over twice and missed plenty of open receivers. The kicker missed a 41 yard kick. Maybe he did discuss it with Tabor and Tabor said he would be fine from anywhere? It was idiotic to take a knee, but he missed a 41 yard FG and a 25 yard FG. That's on Nagy? You're better than this. The quarterback is horrible. It's a ripple effect throughout. If the QB didn't miss two touchdown passes, two FG misses mean nothing.

Edited by beardown3231

Just now, big_palooka said:

Does that include Macks 26 mil figure next year? 

If they have 40 mil workable, that's great. Still no easy answers at QB even if you have the cap though.

Yes I believe so.  I used the manage roster tool on spotrac but I'm not sure if they already factored in the ~$18M in space right now that would get carried over to next years cap. If they did and we cut Long and Davis, as expected, then they'll have approximately $24M available and if not and we add the $18M then that's where they get $42M from, but I could be wrong.  Someone needs to double check this as I'm not a cap expert.