Did the Dolphins want the Steelers to score on 3rd and 20?

SmittyBacall

It's pretty obvious the way Miami has stripped their roster that they are content on tanking the season. But is the coaching staff really calling plays with the intent of losing the game?

The below play is just absurd. I can't remember seeing a call this egregiously bad given the score, down, and distance. It just doesn't make any sense. 

I was under the impression that although the personnel has been stripped by the FO, the coaching staff is still coaching for their jobs or at least future job prospects. I'm not sure if I entirely believe that anymore. Unless the FO has told the coaching staff that they are safe for another season.

What say you?

IMO no.  They made a call to keep the Steelers from entering FG range.  That's my interpretation.  

If i were the one to make that call, i'm making it thinking that worst case scenario, we make the tackle underneath and give up the FG anyway.

It's a bad call, admittedly.  But not for a second do i think they were trying to give up a TD.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, theJ said:

If i were the one to make that call, i'm making it thinking that worst case scenario, we make the tackle underneath and give up the FG anyway.

I agree I think the call was made to push them out of field goal range, but disagree with this part. 

Maybe if you rush 6 and drop 5 into a soft zone, but not blitzing 8 and leaving 3 to cover that much open space. Chances are you get burned for a big play.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I agree I think the call was made to push them out of field goal range, but disagree with this part. 

Maybe if you rush 6 and drop 5 into a soft zone, but not blitzing 8 and leaving 3 to cover that much open space. Chances are you get burned for a big play.

I didn't actually realize they blitzed 8.  But anyway the point stands - they were trying to push them further back, and probably thought the three guys could still make the tackle if the ball actually got out.  Obviously that didn't happen.

The thing is, the situation is a bit unique.  The QB you're playing has been rough all night so far, and looking really shaky against the blitz.  You're expecting a slower developing play, probably a 12-15 yard out or corner post to the sideline.  You're not expecting the 8 yard slant, and i'd bet most people would say that from 45 yards out, the defense is usually able to gang up and make the tackle 25-30 yard downfield.  

So no, i don't think it was a tanking call.  I don't believe that coaches or players ever actively do such things for draft picks.  To shave points or throw games?  Yeah that's happened historically, but i don't think it's happening here either.