Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

They definitely at the very least sorely underestimated how his lack of arm strength would translate. He's largely a  finished product at this point I would think, so I don't see much room for hope.  Dolegala is very raw. Not surprising that they aren't putting him in when two much more developed QBs have struggled.

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

They definitely at the very least sorely underestimated how his lack of arm strength would translate. He's largely a  finished product at this point I would think, so I don't see much room for hope.  Dolegala is very raw. Not surprising that they aren't putting him in when two much more developed QBs have struggled.

It'd still be fun to see him run around back there throwing ropes into coverage. 

I wonder if they'll keep him over Finley next year. Like you said, hard to imagine him getting much better. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

It'd still be fun to see him run around back there throwing ropes into coverage. 

I wonder if they'll keep him over Finley next year. Like you said, hard to imagine him getting much better. 

It would probably be awful.  Maybe Jeff Blake like if we're lucky.  

There's a lot to sort at qb prior to next season.  If they draft one and keep a vet, one of those guys has to go.

50 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

It would probably be awful.  Maybe Jeff Blake like if we're lucky.  

There's a lot to sort at qb prior to next season.  If they draft one and keep a vet, one of those guys has to go.

That's why I'd like to see Dolegala too. Can't see keeping more than 1 of those two, so let's see what Dolegala has to know which one to keep. 

The season is lost anyway. Lets have some fun.  

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

maybe trade back into the first for Tua and let him sit till hes healthy

I don't think that will be an option because I still think Tua will go top 15-20. There are a litany of teams that need a QB and maybe a half dozen or so that would be happy to redshirt Tua for the year. It will be tough to trade up from 33 or 34 without giving up a first in 2021.

Edited by SmittyBacall

16 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

What makes you say that? By all accounts he's a tier below. Plus, Burrow has everything the Bengals love in a prospect; the production, played in the SEC, the accolades (likely Heisman) etc. 

So just to be clear, I prefer Burrow due to him being talented and having a pretty high floor.  I think he is almost guaranteed to be good at the next level. However, Herbert has production over multiple seasons as opposed to Joe's one and was the presumptive number one pick last year from a lot of people.  His arm is also much stronger than Burrow's.  I don't discount that his ceiling being pretty much as high as as anyone's might get the attention of decision makers.  

As far as trading back in for Tua, or someone else at QB, it's early to see who is available, but if we take Young, I will be disappointed if we do not address offensive line or linebacker  with our next picks.  

Edited by Beck Bristow

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't think that will be an option because I still think Tua will go top 15-20. There are a litany of teams that need a QB and maybe a half dozen or so that would be happy to redshirt Tua for the year. It will be tough to trade up from 33 or 34 without giving up a first in 2021.

I still think tua stands a good chance of being the second QB off the board. He's going to be able to throw before the draft, and from what they said will be cleared to play before the season starts. Hell, the Bengals might still take him at #1.