Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Would recommend watching at the 4:15 mark in the video.  The part of switching from Dalton to Finley that I'm most excited about seeing is the out of structure throws. It's pretty much a given that if a play breaks down with Dalton as the QB, the play is done.  Curious to see if Finley can make plays out of the pocket or in a messy pocket:

I'm most excited to see throws to the boundary that don't go OOB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Would recommend watching at the 4:15 mark in the video.  The part of switching from Dalton to Finley that I'm most excited about seeing is the out of structure throws. It's pretty much a given that if a play breaks down with Dalton as the QB, the play is done.  Curious to see if Finley can make plays out of the pocket or in a messy pocket:

I just watched this.  Are you actually trying to get my hopes up?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Hypothetical Q:

If the Bengals were the team that drafted Gardner Minshew and have the first pick in 2020, do we go QB or Chase Young?

If Finley shows flashes of being a legitimate starter, do we pass on 1st round QB in 2020? Do we double down hoping that we hit on the most important position in football, perhaps trading the lesser for another pick? 

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think that’s the idea. If Finley looks good go Chase Young. 

I think everyone would agree with that.  The thing that's going to cause a divide is, how good does Finley have to look?  Can that be quantified to some degree now, or do we just have to go on gut feel?

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Hypothetical Q:

If the Bengals were the team that drafted Gardner Minshew and have the first pick in 2020, do we go QB or Chase Young?

If Finley shows flashes of being a legitimate starter, do we pass on 1st round QB in 2020? Do we double down hoping that we hit on the most important position in football, perhaps trading the lesser for another pick? 

At this point, Chase is in my opinion the best player in the draft,  so I have  0 issue with drafting him.  Our pass rush has been pretty disappointing all season. 

Biggest concern on Finley is arm strength,  same reason he wasn't a first round pick.  But if he plays well enough to be given a shot next year,  we probably are picking 4th or 5th at the earliest.  There are a lot of bad teams out there right now and we play quite a few these last 8 games. 

48 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

At this point, Chase is in my opinion the best player in the draft,  so I have  0 issue with drafting him.  Our pass rush has been pretty disappointing all season. 

Biggest concern on Finley is arm strength,  same reason he wasn't a first round pick.  But if he plays well enough to be given a shot next year,  we probably are picking 4th or 5th at the earliest.  There are a lot of bad teams out there right now and we play quite a few these last 8 games. 

Part of that reason is because they're always behind.  The teams with good pass rushes are the teams that actual hold leads.  There's a reason for that.

I don't have a problem with Chase either, but it better mean they've addressed QB somehow.  Because i don't care how good Chase is - a lesser QB still has way more impact on the game than a DE.  And while Dalton may not be the problem, a better QB can be the solution.  You could argue this team could have 3-4 wins currently if they were getting top 5 QB performance.

45 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I really hope we don't take ourselves out of the top 3.

I don't either but I'll be rooting like hell for Ryan Finley to be a legit QB.  I liked what I saw in preseason, and hope with him at QB that Zac Taylor's play calling improves.  Need some positive in this train wreck of a season.  Also, figure worse case we can get a stud OT if we do drop to say pick 5...

54 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I really hope we don't take ourselves out of the top 3.

I'm here for the Ws always.  But the failure to execute in all phases has been so obvious,  I doubt we creep up too high. 4-4 is about the best I would hope for based on the way we have played. However,  I would be fine if we ended up in a position to take a stud player at linebacker, DE or offensive line rather than a qb.

• Like 1