Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I wish we would have dealt Dalton. Sucks for him. Now he has to play good teammate when he probably deep inside doesn’t care and just wants out 

I've been asking all week - which team would have actually been interested in trading for Dalton?

I don't think there was one out there. 

17 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I wish we would have dealt Dalton. Sucks for him. Now he has to play good teammate when he probably deep inside doesn’t care and just wants out 

Appeasing Dalton is secondary to what is best for the team. It would have been nice if we let him know earlier, but I think the bye week plays a big factor here. They wanted the extra week of first team reps for Finley. You can't fault them for that. It was just an unfortunate coincidence.

The Bengals paid Andy Dalton $85 million since they drafted him for 0 playoff wins and an 0-8 start this year.  Not all his fault, but he also isn't going to get a bunch of sympathy from me either.  Great human being, adequate football player who can't elevate the talent around him.

45 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Miami, Tampa Bay are probably the top two.

Miami doesnt even have a QB and Jameis is trash.

I could see Tampa to some degree, but not midseason.  Ariens system is much different than anything Dalton has played under.  Not only do i think he'd have a hard time picking it up and actually playing better than Jameis, i'm not sure that his physical tools are suited to the deep go's and outs that are a staple of the system.  He's a bad system fit.  I'd give that about a 5% chance that they would have actually been interested.

As for Miami, that would go against everything they're doing this year.  They're trading away players for picks, not the other way around.  Zero percent chance that would have happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

The Bengals paid Andy Dalton $85 million since they drafted him for 0 playoff wins and an 0-8 start this year.  Not all his fault, but he also isn't going to get a bunch of sympathy from me either.  Great human being, adequate football player who can't elevate the talent around him.

I said something similar to a friend yesterday after he mentioned the Bengals did Andy dirty.  I basically said - no reason to feel sorry for Andy.  He has millions of reasons to be happy.

Personally, if i were him, i'd probably be privately relieved that the burden of this winless season isn't on my shoulders anymore.  Now he can look forward to his next stop, which may or may not be a starting gig, but will certainly pay well.  The guy should be able to stick around well into his late thirties because of two factors: his cerebral approach to the game will help in mentoring younger guys and he's a great locker room presence.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 3:22 PM, BayRaider said:

Ryan Finley will light the league on fire. 

I stashed him in fantasy weeks ago. Have Brady so don’t really need him but Finley is gonna be an All Pro Top 10 QB in the NFL. Get you guys Chase next year the home state kid and you guys runaway with the AFC North next season. 

Sorry man. I think you missed on that scouting report. Lol

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Ehhh he’s on a terrible team. I had him going in the 3rd Round to the Pats in my final mock. Perfect fit for that scheme. 

He looks bad. No pocket awareness. Accuracy is poor. Weak arm. Have not seen anything in 3 games to make me say, “ok he has something here”. Career backup

Time to give Dolegada a few games to see what he has.  Then the last game should be Dalton's.  Give him one more game in front of the home crowd, make it Andy appreciation  day.  Let him pass whatever passing stat he's tied for in franchise history (maybe career TDs with Anderson or Esiason).  Then trade him in the offseason.

• Like 5