Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

On 10/29/2019 at 3:22 PM, BayRaider said:

Ryan Finley will light the league on fire. 

I stashed him in fantasy weeks ago. Have Brady so don’t really need him but Finley is gonna be an All Pro Top 10 QB in the NFL. Get you guys Chase next year the home state kid and you guys runaway with the AFC North next season. 

About that...

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Ehhh he’s on a terrible team. I had him going in the 3rd Round to the Pats in my final mock. Perfect fit for that scheme. 

He's made Dalton's arm look like Mahomes'. There are some guys who have extraordinary physical talents and use them to wreck the league (Rogers, Mahomes). There are others who have passable physical tools and use their brains to make up the rest (Dalton, Brady, Brees). Then there are those who just so obviously can't compete at this level. 

Finley has some skills, and he showed them during the preseason. But any pass longer than 15-20 yards in the air is just too far for him to make. As Joe Goodberry said on Twitter, it looks like he's throwing paper airplanes. 

I wish he would have been great. But he's the opposite. Maybe with time he could feel comfortable enough to mask some of those problems. But it's going to be years before that happen. The Bengals are waiting for that. 

Let's see Dolegala. 

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

What's the point of bringing Dalton back? Maybe we get a win and screw up our draft position. Perhaps they feel confident of our 2 game lead for the top pick with 5 games left but the Bengals could easily screw that up. 

Finley is trash but why not Dolegala?

Yeah, I don't get this at all.  This reeks of Mike Brown meddling.

17 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Maybe the coach wants to win. Finley wasn't likely to get them there.

But they knew that before they ran Finley our for his first game. At least, they should have known what everyone else did. Putting Finley in was part of getting ready for 2020 and moving on from Andy. Now we're backtracking?

40 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

But they knew that before they ran Finley our for his first game. At least, they should have known what everyone else did. Putting Finley in was part of getting ready for 2020 and moving on from Andy. Now we're backtracking?

Taylor had a choice to energize the fan base and the locker room or make the sacrifice for long term success. He chose the former. My guess is that it will prove to be a mistake when we're picking 3rd.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Again, it was all about evaluating.  It wasn't about benching Dalton as much as seeing what they had in Finley.  Clearly he isn't ready, at least behind this o-line.

I'm surprised that they aren't giving Dolegada a shot, at least yet.  Seems like the time to see him too.  maybe if Andy wins a game to get that monkey off our back, they let Jake have a game or two.  either way, I still think the last game at home vs, the browns could be Andy Appreciation Day.  Or they stick with him one more year and stink the joint up and land a top pick next year too.

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Taylor had a choice to energize the fan base and the locker room or make the sacrifice for long term success. He chose the former. My guess is that it will prove to be a mistake when we're picking 3rd.

Who in the fan base is energized?