Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

So just to be clear, I prefer Burrow due to him being talented and having a pretty low floor.  I think he is almost guaranteed to be good at the next level. However, Herbert has production over multiple seasons as opposed to Joe's one and was the presumptive number one pick last year from a lot of people.  His arm is also much stronger than Burrow's.  I don't discount that his ceiling being pretty much as high as as anyone's might get the attention of decision makers.  

As far as trading back in for Tua, or someone else at QB, it's early to see who is available, but if we take Young, I will be disappointed if we do not address offensive line or linebacker  with our next picks.  

I think you mean high floor.

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

So just to be clear, I prefer Burrow due to him being talented and having a pretty low floor.  I think he is almost guaranteed to be good at the next level. However, Herbert has production over multiple seasons as opposed to Joe's one and was the presumptive number one pick last year from a lot of people.  His arm is also much stronger than Burrow's.  I don't discount that his ceiling being pretty much as high as as anyone's might get the attention of decision makers.  

As far as trading back in for Tua, or someone else at QB, it's early to see who is available, but if we take Young, I will be disappointed if we do not address offensive line or linebacker  with our next picks.  

I was thinking of a new scenario.  I've long been on board the trade back and take Thomas bus.  But if we do go with Burrow at #1, what do you think about dangling next year's #1 pick to get Thomas.  We aren't turning it around in one year.  Surely league execs would see that.  That would give someone else the ammo to go after Lawrence or Fields in 2021.

Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Yep.  

That makes more sense.  

Unfortunately,  we'd have to give up a lot more than just a future 1 to get Thomas.  Probably this year's 2 as well.

Agreed. Next year's 1 isn't going to get you a top 5 pick this year. It might get you in the back few picks of round 1 this year, but teams aren't going to assume that next year's 1 is a top 5 pick.