Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

The only downside is he has a Rex Grossman/Tim Tebow/Josh McCown type run, taking them out of position to take the real QBOTF in next year's draft.

That being said, the only other team besides Miami that might think about taking a QB is Atlanta.  And i'm not sure they will.  Matty Ryan is getting older, but still has some years left and they have a ton of problems.  And he's not one of them.

The Broncos and Bucs will be flirting with the top 5. And there are a few teams with established rosters that could make a huge jump into the top 3 for a QB (e.g. Titans, Chargers, Panthers). Heck, even the Patriots were rumored to be trading up to #2 if Mayfield didn't go first overall. 

Point is, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had the first pick. :D

Ryan Finley will light the league on fire. 

I stashed him in fantasy weeks ago. Have Brady so don’t really need him but Finley is gonna be an All Pro Top 10 QB in the NFL. Get you guys Chase next year the home state kid and you guys runaway with the AFC North next season. 

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

The Broncos and Bucs will be flirting with the top 5. And there are a few teams with established rosters that could make a huge jump into the top 3 for a QB (e.g. Titans, Chargers, Panthers). Heck, even the Patriots were rumored to be trading up to #2 if Mayfield didn't go first overall. 

Point is, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had the first pick. :D

Broncos just took a QB literally this year.  

The Bucs have two wins and have the Falcons twice, Arizona and Jacksonville.  They won't be picking ahead of the Bengals.

The concern, which you mentioned, is someone trading up above the Bengals.  So that's either Washington, Atlanta or NYJ somehow getting in front of the Bengals and trading out of that spot.

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

Broncos just took a QB literally this year.  

The Bucs have two wins and have the Falcons twice, Arizona and Jacksonville.  They won't be picking ahead of the Bengals.

The concern, which you mentioned, is someone trading up above the Bengals.  So that's either Washington, Atlanta or NYJ somehow getting in front of the Bengals and trading out of that spot.

I don't think reluctantly taking a falling Drew Lock in the second deters Elway from taking a QB early just as much as it won't deter us after taking Finley. He's the third stringer behind Brandon Allen (?) and likely won't amount to anything in this league. Elway is on the hot seat. He's not going to save his job from starting Drew Lock, Joe Flacco or Brandon Allen.

I wouldn't rule them out.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't think reluctantly taking a falling Drew Lock in the second deters Elway from taking a QB early just as much as it won't deter us after taking Finley. He's the third stringer behind Brandon Allen (?) and likely won't amount to anything in this league. Elway is on the hot seat. He's not going to save his job from starting Drew Lock, Joe Flacco or Brandon Allen.

I wouldn't rule them out.

Drew Lock isn't the third stringer.  He's on IR.  He'd be starting this week, 100% guaranteed, if he were healthy.

I wouldn't put it past Elway to take another QB, but i can't see them giving up a lot to move up ahead of the Bengals when they have a bunch of other issues.

Elway has been looking for a QB ever since Manning retired. They have an extra pick from the Steelers and will easily have enough draft capital to trade up for a QB. It might be Herbert or Burrow rather than Tua but they could make a move. Washington, NYJ, and Falcons are looking for Chase Young more than a QB but could probably be persuaded to trade down. If Dolphin coach and players are trying to win games, they might very well beat us. Fitzpatrick is much closer to a legitimate NFL starter than Finley. 

53 minutes ago, theJ said:

Drew Lock isn't the third stringer.  He's on IR.  He'd be starting this week, 100% guaranteed, if he were healthy.

I wouldn't put it past Elway to take another QB, but i can't see them giving up a lot to move up ahead of the Bengals when they have a bunch of other issues.

You’re right. Didn’t realize he was on IR.

I don’t think the Broncos have as many holes as you think. Not enough to deter them from moving up a handful of slots if ‘their guy’ fell. The picks needed to move up 4-8 spots won’t cripple them.

15 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Hard to say.  With just one year left, they may value him as a mentor to whatever young guy is out there. They can afford his contract with a rookie starter.

Yeah. I think the question is whether or not Dalton wants to start, and what his offers in FA look like.

2 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

So just looking at Dalton's contract, the Bengals are likely cutting him in the off-season, right? I'm just (depressingly) thinking about which veteran QBs are gonna be out there for the Bears.

Depends on if they draft one this spring.  If they do, I have a hard time believing the team carries four QBs, and Zav was high on only two QBs in the last draft, Dolegada and Finley.  he got both.  

If they don't f=draft one, I'd say it's 50-50 on whether they trade him, release him, or hang on to him as a mentor type.

21 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Depends on if they draft one this spring.  If they do, I have a hard time believing the team carries four QBs, and Zav was high on only two QBs in the last draft, Dolegada and Finley.  he got both.  

If they don't f=draft one, I'd say it's 50-50 on whether they trade him, release him, or hang on to him as a mentor type.

If they don't draft one, that will throw things for a loop.  In that case, they probably think Finley is the guy and maybe they retain Dalton in that case as a mentor.  He'd be a great mentor.

But yeah, if they draft one, he's gone.  

Would recommend watching at the 4:15 mark in the video.  The part of switching from Dalton to Finley that I'm most excited about seeing is the out of structure throws. It's pretty much a given that if a play breaks down with Dalton as the QB, the play is done.  Curious to see if Finley can make plays out of the pocket or in a messy pocket: