Mike Nugent Cut

Deadpulse

Matt Bryant is available. Why not cut Nugent and hold onto that little bit of cap space for the trade deadline. Why not try to claim Bryant after if you can't make any other trades. Jake Bailey has been below average as a holder thus far, why not try using him on extra points for a game.

Anyone who can hit an extra point and field goals of equal or less distance in normal conditions is the same or better than what Gostkowski was giving you this season. Fact. As for the Super Bowls, I mean, anyone can be signed to choke and miss at least one kick per game, right?

11 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Considering Nugent was able to at least hit extra points, I'd say it was.

FG's are more points, and he was much worse at those. Gost cost us 7 points and Nugent cost us 10 while attempting the exact same amount of kicks. Ill take the guy who can hit FG's, especially since it effects the offense and the defense when you can't trust a kicker to get a FG over 30 yards. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

FG's are more points, and he was much worse at those. Gost cost us 7 points and Nugent cost us 10 while attempting the exact same amount of kicks. Ill take the guy who can hit FG's, especially since it effects the offense and the defense when you can't trust a kicker to get a FG over 30 yards. 

He also had the laces turned in by the holder for one kick in high wind conditions no less, and then two of the other missed field goals were weather related, (one if which a blocked miss), which Gostkowski never had to deal with this season before IR. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Nugent will be available no matter what so why not cut him on the trade deadline for the cap space and to potentially sign Matt Byrant, who is an upgrade over Nugent?

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

He also had the laces turned in by the holder for one kick in high wind conditions no less, and then two of the other missed field goals were weather related, (one if which a blocked miss), which Gostkowski never had to deal with this season before IR. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Image result for facepalm gif

Does Nugent have your kids in a basement somewhere? Your blind faith in him is baffling. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Image result for facepalm gif

Does Nugent have your kids in a basement somewhere? Your blind faith in him is baffling. 

Blind faith? The dude merely hit extra points. The rest of his field goals were converted save for three particular circumstances where the conditions were obviously challenging and unlike anything Gostkowski dealt with prior to IR. It's just as infuriating debating someone who fails to acknowledge the obvious liability Gostkowski was this season in particular and how, yes, even Mike Nugent was better.

Just now, Deadpulse said:

I never disputed this and have gone out of my way to point this out multiple times. You probably just dont actually read my posts

I'm now accused of not reading your posts. 😐 Yet the groupthink collective in this forum continually fails to address the points that are made repeatedly about the nature of Nugent's missed kicks and why they were uniquely challenging, (in direct comparison to Gostkowski this season).

Everyone seems to have acknowledged that Gostkowski is a liability at some point one way or another, but quite a few people hate to admit that Nugent was as good or even a slight improvement despite only being with the team for a month after spending a year away from the sport recovering from a surgery.

This move to cut Nugent is more about cap and the opportunity to either acquire Matt Bryant or facilitate a trade.

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Yet the groupthink collective in this forum continually fails to address the points that are made repeatedly about the nature of Nugent's missed kicks and why they were uniquely challenging

Why should I? You didnt care when I mentioned Gost was dealing with injury during his. 

17 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Why should I? You didnt care when I mentioned Gost was dealing with injury during his. 

Great, so you're admitting you in particular ignored the points I have made concerning the differences in challenges faced by the two kickers the Pats have trotted out so far.

I have addressed the mystery injury to Gostkowski a few times already, at least. It is a phantom injury no different than when the Patriots or any other team tries to circumvent the rules and place a young guy, typically a rookie, on the reserve list. There are generally several main reasons why teams do this. Sometimes guys have IR designations if they're not really injured because they are young and need to get familiar with how to be a professional essentially. Sometimes it is a numbers crunch and the team doesn't want to risk losing their guy if he is waived. Another reason is because the player might have a certain pedigree and the organization/GM/coaches responsible for wanting said player are trying to save face for the mistake to try and salvage the opportunity for a later date. We have seen it with the Patriots countless times with young players in particular.

Gostkowski never should have been re-signed especially for the amount he cost in the first place back in the spring. I said it then, I said after, I've said it for years that he is overrated as a performer in big games and that coming into 2019 he was trending down. As the Patriots all-time leading scorer, Gostkowski is in a unique position that no other player is. His roster spot is a talking point no matter what by fans and media. Putting Gostkowski on IR after his embarrassing performances since the Super Bowl was more about doing the guy a solid than it was about a crippling injury. The real injury is Gostkowski's psyche is damaged beyond repair in the interim this season. Mental health is what truly landed Gostkowski on IR from the prideful Belichick. With Josh Gordon on the team during all of this as well, player mental health is a prime focus, another hot topic in media coverage, and in general talked about amongst fans. The same isn't said but should be about Gostkowski this season. That has been my take and that is my observation of the situation.

Edited by DoleINGout