call me crazy but....

Pandomonium

28 minutes ago, Ataal said:

Just to clear up the Green Bay thing. 

On 01/12/2013, Divisional Round, Green Bay came to San Francisco and we beat them 45 to 31.  This is the one where Kaep had 181 yards of rushing, including the 56 yard touchdown.

On 01/05/2014, Wild Card Round, we went to Green Bay and beat them 23 to 20.  This is the one that was supposed to be one of the coldest games to ever be played and Kaep didn't wear a long sleeve shirt.   They made a big deal about it all game.

Good clarification. I was referring to the first playoff game (he threw a really bad pick early in that game before going on his tear on the ground), though I will admit to completely forgetting about the second lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean, I kinda get where he's coming from. Teams don't typically go from worst to winning it all. And granted we weren't the worst but we were right there. Its just extremely difficult to go from the bottom tier to winning it all in the span of a year. 

I think our 2018 squad was a 8-8 caliber team if Jimmy G doesn't get injured. We lost a lot of close games where the backup/3rd string QB made a dumb decision at the end. And at 4-12 we had a better point differential at -93 than the 7-9 Dolphins, 6-10 Bills, 4-12  Raiders were -187, etc. Basically, I think we were a mediocre team that had a lot of bad breaks and not a lot of lucky ones.

I have seen a lot of talk about the 49ers "lack of experience" in the playoffs so I decided to do a little research. I compared the 49ers roster another youngish potential playoff team, the Vikings. I did not include Punters or LS in this. Kickers have been included. I decided that for a playoff game to count you needed to play 50% of snaps offensively or defensively.

49ers

Staley 8, Richburg 1, Tomlinson 1, Coleman 5, Sanders 8, Toilolo 5, Juice 2, Ford 5, Sherman 12, Garland 2, Gould 7

56 playoff games

Minnesota

Cousins 2, Diggs 3, Theilen 3, Alexander 1, Bailey 3, Barr 3, Elflein 2, Griffen 4, Harris 1, Hunter 2, Joseph 3, Kendricks 3, Kline 6, Reiff 3, Rhodes 3, Rudolph 4, Smith 4, Stephen 1, Waynes 2

53 playoff games

The fact of the matter is that this does not mean a whole lot, but people tend to just say things that really are not fact checked. Not to mention that on the 49ers there are a total of 6 SB runs. I just do not buy into the playoff experience talk. If you are good enough and you play good enough you win 99% of the time. 

2007 Giants won the Super Bowl with a team that looked a complete mess at times. And if you want to cite playoff experienced squads having an edge, look at the 1999 Rams, or 2000 Ravens, or 1981 49ers. Those teams hadn't sniffed the playoffs in ages, yet win from punchline to the front of the line in a year. Any team can go the distance. Especially in the salary cap era. Just getting in the tournament is really all that matters. Decades ago wild card teams winning it all was a nutty prospect. Even after The Raiders did it in 1980. Then the Ravens did it in 2000, and there have been a I think three others since then. 

Also, how many teams that have dominated all season long went into the playoffs and laid an egg? Even experienced teams. It's happened countless times. Look at the Chiefs squads of the 90s. 

So is it not their year because of the competition in the NFC? I mean I worry about the saints, packers, and hawks too. But I think you must attack while the IRON is hot. Sure they can even be better next year...but let's have them make a run at it now right???

With regards to Jimmy, again what has he needed to do? He's clutch as we have seen in the Steelers game right? But other than that why does he need to go crazy with passing when they are dominating everything else???

Look at Aikman's stats during their SB years....not that impressive at all. 

I'm not saying they will win it all either but I don't see why they can't as well....

16 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If you elaborate, then we can comment.

we turn over the ball far too much. That is the main issue. it works out for us when we see the lesser opponents that we've seen so far but when we start to see stronger teams who know how to capitalize on our mistakes, that could spell disaster. (Ie. green bay, baltimore, seattle, new orleans)

16 hours ago, Forge said:

1. What issues? The biggest issue plaguing this team is probably a lack of explosive plays in the passing game, and maybe an overall lack of consistency in the passing game. The latter of which will likely be remedied somewhat by getting our two starting tackles and fullback back. 

2. I'm not sure how a team who may lose an AA playing at an all pro level, an important rotational piece in Ronald Blair, Manny Sanders, a healthy Jimmie Ward would actually take a more dominant step next year over where they are this year. Something in that does not compute. 

this is one, but not the biggest, 
the fact that we turn over the ball WAY too much is the biggest.

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean, I kinda get where he's coming from. Teams don't typically go from worst to winning it all. And granted we weren't the worst but we were right there. Its just extremely difficult to go from the bottom tier to winning it all in the span of a year. To take a team w/o post-season experience and run the table. Sure we have some guys with playoff experience. But the majority have no clue what playoff football looks like. Every team who's had a resurgence after some lean years...Legion of Boom 'Hawks, Manning-led Broncos, Harbaugh led-Niners. All had to stomach some tough playoffs losses before they took the next step and won it all (except for our Niners of course **sighs**).

Not that I'm betting against us. I just understand the task of a complete turnaround is just hard to sustain through a full-season and playoff run. 

My only issue with our chances is Jimmy G. His play has not encouraged me to think we could be the team to completely turnaround and win it all. He is the weak link currently. People can complain about the WRs all they want....and you may have a point. But I just haven't seen the decision-making and throws CONSISTENTLY from Jimmy that makes believe that when the pressure rises and the stakes get higher, he can deliver. I know all of us are hoping that is the case. That eventually he and the passing game will find its groove and get in sync. But there's really no evidence to suggest it will happen. There's going to come a time when the defense won't dominate. They'll have their moments but it will come down to the offense to make a play...or two...or three and secure a win. Especially against playoff tested teams. Say we don't get the #1 seed and we have travel to the Superdome to face the Saints or Lambeau in December to face the Packers. How confident are you in Jimmy G stepping up and making throw after throw, on the road, in a hostile environment with the season on the line?? As it stands right now, not confident at all. I have the utmost confidence in Shanny and our defense to do their part. The jury is still out on whether Jimmy G can & will do his. 

And let's be honest, if anything happens to Bosa, I think our defense takes a step back. So we MUST stay healthy as well. Something we still have issues with. 

But I could see a scenario where next year, with the experience of playoff football under their belts that Jimmy and the rest of the team take another needed step in development and make it happen. Even with some personnel losses, we also gain some additions that make us even stronger and deeper. I can see it...

This right here,
I don't think Jimmy has to be elite for us to win it all but he damn sure has to stop making stupid throws that cause interceptions. and he DOES make stupid throws at least 2 or 3 times a game with usually at least one of them winding up being a pick.

757 Is basically elaborating on my point. 
I don't feel confident enough in Jimmy yet to win a game for us. So far, we haven't had to ask him to do it because of our defense and our run game. but God forbid, one day neither one of those comes through for us and its all on his shoulders.

13 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Respect to Pando, but I don't understand the desire to create this thread. Attention getter? Something to point back at later as brilliant predicting? 

I'd say we have just as much chance if not more to win it all. That we have less mysterious and vague issues than the other teams. Doesn't at all mean we will win it all, or that I'd throw big money on a bet. Doesn't at all mean we won't have a bad stumble in the postseason, or injuries rain down later. 

7-0, and strong in all phases. I just don't see why any fan would consider reaching for the white flag... but unlike days of old, I can consider that some may want to insulate their expectations from an emotional self-preservation aspect. :/ 

but that's just it, we aren't strong in all phases 
and no I'm not reaching for a white flag