Immediate thoughts/overreactions Week 1 edition

deeluxx3

Want to get something off your chest? Want to say something that'll probably prove to not be true in 3 weeks time? Want to share any "gut feelings" that are completely baseless? Here's your thread

• Davis is going to be a very good WR for us, but clearly is learning the playbook still
  • Taylor needs to get more offensive snaps
  • This offense needs to be opened up/not afraid to air it out
  • Poor play-calling on 3rd-and-short leaks over from last year 
  • Mariota held back in the red-zone is concerning
  • Defense couldn't tackle to save their lives
  • pass rush nonexistent
  • Team ate up their hype this offseason and got beat up today
  • zero sense of physicality
  • special teams coverage was awful awful awful
  • OL was major disappointment
  • offense never looked like it was in a rhythm 

Disappointed, but not overly so.

Tackling was the biggest issue. Part of it comes down to Oakland having one of the most powerful backs of the last decade and two of the best RAC receivers in football. But you can't be failing in the fundamentals.

We spent so much time and money emphasizing special teams this offseason, to see them routinely let us down was ultra disappointing. Handed them three points that made a huge difference.

Marcus was alright. Not at his best, but better than the start of last year. Should get better as he gels with Davis and Decker and they both get up to speed.

The fact that the Texans got obliterated was encouraging. Win next week and we're tied for first. We lost to a good football team that has had very little turnover from last year. It happens. If the same issues happen next week in a loss to the Jags, I'll probably start panicking.

I don't feel bad after the lost.  I don't think we played bad. The Raiders played like a team that was close to being a Super Bowl team last year.  They got into scoring position a couple more times than us and they made their FGs.
They ran hard, behind a good offensive line.

We missed some tackles that would have ended drives.
We moved the ball, at times with ease.  But they didn't break. They bent, but didn't break. Too many FGs for an offense that normally scores TDs in the red zone.

I think we fought well. 

Our Special teams unit didn't make the play.  They were supposed to be a big deal for us, and two of the guys had penalties at crucial times.

I like the Onside kick call. I would have just kicked it but in a game where we obviously needed on more offensive possession, I understand trying to steal one.

We lost. They beat us. We didn't make plays and we lost.  It wasn't a blowout. It wasn't an embarrassment. It was a lost. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't feel bad after the lost.  I don't think we played bad. The Raiders played like a team that was close to being a Super Bowl team last year.  They got into scoring position a couple more times than us and they made their FGs.
They ran hard, behind a good offensive line.

We missed some tackles that would have ended drives.
We moved the ball, at times with ease.  But they didn't break. They bent, but didn't break. Too many FGs for an offense that normally scores TDs in the red zone.

I think we fought well. 

Our Special teams unit didn't make the play.  They were supposed to be a big deal for us, and two of the guys had penalties at crucial times.

I like the Onside kick call. I would have just kicked it but in a game where we obviously needed on more offensive possession, I understand trying to steal one.

We lost. They beat us. We didn't make plays and we lost.  It wasn't a blowout. It wasn't an embarrassment. It was a lost. 

Good points all around. I don't think we showed much fight, though. Defense had that little televised moment before Oakland's last drive (the one that started after Succop's 52-yarder) and proceeded to get blown off the ball three running plays in a row on a drive that they needed to dominate. Humbling moment for a group that was a bit arrogant this offseason.

We bent over at times, if you ask me. That's not the team we can afford to be.

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

Good points all around. I don't think we showed much fight, though. Defense had that little televised moment before Oakland's last drive (the one that started after Succop's 52-yarder) and proceeded to get blown off the ball three running plays in a row on a drive that they needed to dominate. Humbling moment for a group that was a bit arrogant this offseason.

We bent over at times, if you ask me. That's not the team we can afford to be.

Hmmm I didn't get the impression that we were cocky. I think we just met a good team. A good offensive line. And they showed why. 

I was at the bar but my thoughts..

Marcus was solid. Seemed a bit out of sync with Decker and Davis. Was really great to see him running around after that broken leg.

I didn't like the play calling on offense tbh but its all good. Raiders are a good team. No one better be in panic mode right now  lmao

Also Jackson is going to be really good in a couple of years. I think he will be solid this year. Pissed Sims didn't play. Watching McCain out their is painful 

Just now, VY-FTW said:

I was at the bar but my thoughts..

Marcus was solid. Seemed a bit out of sync with Decker and Davis. Was really great to see him running around after that broken leg.

I didn't like the play calling on offense tbh but its all good. Raiders are a good team. No one better be in panic mode right lmao

Also Jackson is going to be really good in a couple of years. I think he will be solid this year. Pissed Sims didn't play. Watching McCain out their is painful 

Good point and easy to lose sight up due to it being Week 1 and excitement/expectations are high. Oakland is a really good team and we played them pretty tough. It was still a winnable game for us and we have a lot to improve upon.

Nice to see Adoree make a couple plays, but man did some of his "bad plays" looks bad. Like letting Cooper get inside him early in the game (pass was incomplete) on the goaline. Never turns his head to locate the ball...will probably always struggle with big, physical guys like Crabtree (a la Finny) due to his size.

It's mostly coachable, but a lot of stuff that made me think "how have you been playing corner all these years and still make mistakes like that?"

The offense was out of sync.  That was to be expected since Davis and Decker were out most of the preseason... but the run game being as bad as it was... against what isn't exactly a great run D team.. is very concerning.  Matthews took over where he left off last year and Walker was his usual awesome self.  The pass game has a chance to be really good once things gel all around.

On D, I didn't see any fire.  Outside of the back to back sacks (and that nice Nickel blitz), Carr was way too comfortable in the pocket.  Casey was a ghost today... and unfortunately the only time I really noticed him was when Lynch ran over him.  The secondary wasn't horrible, but they always seemed a step behind.  The safeties had a bad day... both of them... Byard looked slow and out of position a few times today... and wasn't Cyprien supposed to be a tackling wiz?!  

STs also weren't horrible, but were still a disappointment considering how much attention was placed on this unit this offseason (signings and final roster decisions).  

for a supposed "overreactions" thread, there's a lot more calm in here than in the GDT, lol

most concerned with the piss-poor tackling and atrocious special teams play. offense being out of sync was sort of unavoidable with 2 of our top 3 receivers missing the preseason, and it showed. but has anybody seen a titans receiver make the catch corey davis made along the sideline, out-fighting the DB for the ball, in the last decade or so? i'm excited to watch him continue to develop. adoree took his lumps but made some good plays, too. he's gonna have to improve, but i think he could've been quite a bit worse.

marcus was fine. missed a few throws i'd have liked to see him make, but good to see him looking relatively comfortable. unfortunately because of our other mistakes we needed him to be more than fine to pull out a W. i do think our offense can pull it together once he gels with davis and decker. he was clearly more comfortable with delanie and matthews today.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

-hope- is right, we're being too positive. So yeah, Jonathan Cyprien is garbage. Total and complete garbage. I'd rather have Jayon Brown take every one of his snaps. We could have resigned Stafford for the minimum and got the exact same production.

It was pretty insane how many tackles he missed. THink he had 3 in the game, he had 4 all of last year.

Archived