Immediate thoughts/overreactions Week 1 edition

deeluxx3

might have said this earlier in the thread but this team played SOFT

It cannot be understated how imperative it is to play physical football. We talked pre-game how physical we want to be, how we want to play in a (controlled) violent way...a load of bs. You can overcome talent deficits by playing aggressively and physically. 

It was evident every time Oakland ran the ball. It was evident on the onside kick. Nobody wants to hit anybody. nobody wants to lower their shoulder and lay a hit. It's pathetic.

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

After sleeping on it. I still feel ok. 

We played a great offense and didn't get embarrassed. We played them tough. We got overpowered on both sides for a few plays. But they are pros too. It happens. 

We lost. We didn't get murdered. A lost can be rebounded from. 

Same here.  Right after the game, I was disappointed but not devastated.  I just said Oakland was the better team that day.  We didn't kill ourselves with stupid errors, they just played better football.  I saw a LOT of promise in that game and believe we'll gel into a dangerous team as the seasons goes on.  Corey Davis looked pretty damn good for his first pro game.  This level doesn't seem too big for him at all.

7 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yup. Pass rush had no chance most of the game.

That probably has a lot to do with them game planning for one of the heaviest blitzing teams in the league. Overall we weren't awful against the pass. Just awful at tackling.

Overall I don't think it was a bad loss for us against one of the Super Bowl contenders. Our defense tackling was the biggest issue also the run game could not get going. I think the run game will be corrected soon but the defense made way too many fundamental mistakes. They need to get it together also Casey was invisible and needs to show up more.

Special teams was horrible for the amount of resources we poured into it which must improve.

When Davis and Decker get on the same page with Mariota add in Matthews, Walker, Taylor and even Smith this passing offense should take off.

Onto the next, not a bad loss to take I still have faith but the defense tackling needs to vastly improve and the offensive line needs to be better overall.

I've finally got a true immediate vent and possible overreaction. This is exciting.

I spent this offseason being really critical of Robinson's approach to free agency. We had a ton of cap room and some fairly obvious holes and I was disappointed that we did very little to address them.

One week in, and everything I was worried about played out exactly how I feared.

Logan Ryan looked solid. He was virtually the only FA signing I was excited about and he played well. You're going to get beat occasionally as a corner against the Raiders, but he tackled pretty well and didn't give up anything big.

I'm not going to include Decker (who was also unimpressive, but I'm not going to be too negative about that after he missed most of camp) because he was a post-draft signing, which means he was not included in Robinson's plan of attack in FA.

Beyond that though, it's almost impressive how useless or worse than useless the rest of the free agents were.

Our second biggest FA signing was Johnathan Cyprien. Who was the worst player on the field. Hidden in coverage and missed four notable tackles that all led to big plays as a result of his failure.

Our third biggest signing was Sylvester Williams, who played 14 snaps of below average nose tackle.

Our fourth, fifth and sixth biggest signings were meant to fix special teams. Trawick handed the Raiders three points. Bates and Weems each were called for ST penalties.

Our seventh biggest signing was Tim Lelito, who isn't on the roster.

With $50 million in cap space, we somehow managed to only add one player that had anything resembling a positive contribution in Week 1. That's pretty sad.

14 hours ago, TitanSS said:

That probably has a lot to do with them game planning for one of the heaviest blitzing teams in the league. Overall we weren't awful against the pass. Just awful at tackling.

When you blitz, you gotta make sure you come up and tackle, otherwise you'll get gashed very quick.

So that is definitely something they need to clean up.

44 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I've finally got a true immediate vent and possible overreaction. This is exciting.

I spent this offseason being really critical of Robinson's approach to free agency. We had a ton of cap room and some fairly obvious holes and I was disappointed that we did very little to address them.

One week in, and everything I was worried about played out exactly how I feared.

Logan Ryan looked solid. He was virtually the only FA signing I was excited about and he played well. You're going to get beat occasionally as a corner against the Raiders, but he tackled pretty well and didn't give up anything big.

I'm not going to include Decker (who was also unimpressive, but I'm not going to be too negative about that after he missed most of camp) because he was a post-draft signing, which means he was not included in Robinson's plan of attack in FA.

Beyond that though, it's almost impressive how useless or worse than useless the rest of the free agents were.

Our second biggest FA signing was Johnathan Cyprien. Who was the worst player on the field. Hidden in coverage and missed four notable tackles that all led to big plays as a result of his failure.

Our third biggest signing was Sylvester Williams, who played 14 snaps of below average nose tackle.

Our fourth, fifth and sixth biggest signings were meant to fix special teams. Trawick handed the Raiders three points. Bates and Weems each were called for ST penalties.

With $50 million in cap space, we somehow managed to only add one player that had anything resembling a positive contribution in Week 1. That's pretty sad.

let it out!!!!!

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I felt underwhelmed after free agency and after week 1, underwhelmed can't begin to discribe how I feel about it.

John Robinson's done and is going to do great things here, but early on, 2017 free agency looks like a flop.

It's early but I thought our FA was very underwhelming. We got outbid for Bouye it seems and he's easily a better CB than Ryan. I liked the Ryan signing but I still stand by the stance that he's not a #1 CB. He should be lining up as #2 CB and shifting to nickel in nickel packages. I thought at the very least Cyprien would at least give us a solid tackling safety who excelled against the run. So far, he has not shown that. Hated the Williams signing from early on and still don't understand it. I still think LeBeau's defenses need a good to great NT to succeed. Why can't we have a Brandon Williams or Damon Harrison at NT? I was fine with the SPT signings because we desperately needed help there. Through one game, it was rough but it is just one game so far. A lot of people wanted to receivers but I was fine not targeting them because I wanted Corey Davis.  I don't think we did enough at safety IMO. Or we made the wrong decision at safety. We needed more of a safety who could play deep. I still think Byard can do that but I'm thinking his best attribute is playing around the LOS. So basically we signed the wrong kind of safety who even sucks in that position signed a #2 CB, special teamers, and one of the worst NTs in the league. Hope this draft is amazing because year 2 of FA for Robinson looks horrible.

Ryan's performance is probably the most underrated aspect of Sunday's game. He shut down whatever receiver he was on, he was only thrown at once, and that was on the touchdown where it's clear Ryan was expecting over the top help from Byard(Ryan played underneath on the coverage)

q_hEZ19WRcW94chvFh_f4w.png

Carr refused to throw at Ryan outside of that pass the entire game(it's the only target Ryan faced). That bodes really well for Ryan going forward assuming the same can be expected, because we used him outside a ton, which wasn't exactly his comfort zone in New England. If Sims plays like he did to end last year, and we get more of 2nd half Adoree than first half Adoree, the pass defense has a chance to be solid, at least at corner. McCain isn't an ideal guy to have but as a #4 corner you can do worse.

Ryan undoubtedly played like a #1 corner against Oakland though.

Actually looking at the picture you better not blame Byrd either...  the "REAL" open receiver is the one up top who already is way past the two defenders who were in coverage it seems, the one Byrd was originally moving too.. that is just our D was not set up in a formation that could handle what the Raiders were doing offensively. WE NEEDED TWO deep to really cover that..  and I don't know who was just slightly Right and below the red circle but he was way out of position more so then Byrd...

Question about Week 2....

Does anyone know if they're still gonna try to hold that game in Jacksonville? 

I can't see that happening by any stretch.  I don't think that city will be anywhere near ready to host a game Sunday.  It would make more sense just to switch the schedule and play this game in Tennessee, then got to the Jags later.

Archived