Redskins LT Trent Williams placed on non-football illness list and out for season

RaidersAreOne

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

The Redskins are not a medical entity, so what their FO “thinks” matters about as much as what you and I think. 

They have a player who indisputably had a non-football injury/illness. He reported to the team. He failed his physical based on his report to the evaluating doctor of a condition directly related to that injury/illness. He goes on the non-football injury/illness list.

Like I said, it’s not complicated. There’s no “You say you have a NFI but we don’t believe you, and we don’t want you to get away with defrauding us by lying about your medical status so you don’t have to play” list, so their hands are a little tied — they’re pretty much stuck taking Trent (and the doctor) at his word.

If they have to take them at their word then what is the rationale for not paying him?

On 11/4/2019 at 4:03 PM, Elky said:

Honestly, Washington can be a competitive team if Danny Boy just butt out of football operations and just produce the money.

And the sky can be blood red if an alien race poisons the atmosphere.

Sure, it could happen, but it's just not all that likely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

If they have to take them at their word then what is the rationale for not paying him?

Because it is an option at the team's disposal when putting a player on the NFI list.

Both sides dug in long ago, and this is just the next salvo in the trench warfare that now represents the remains of the relationship between Williams and Washington.

I'm not justifying the action, but if I had to guess, Washington's thought process was "he showed up to get paid/accrue a season, but isn't even going to help us out ... why should we give him a cent if we have a way not to do it?"

Curious why the AB helmet drama lasted a few weeks yet Trent's a day? Why wasn't he allotted similar time to "find" a viable helmet?

His only mistake was saying after he showed up the facility,  he still wasn't playing. Had he kept his mouth shut and followed the Ramsey Model, not only would he be getting paid but we'd be in the Hammy excuse week by now. 

Dummy!

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

Trent messes up here. If the team screws you over medically you should do the Okung thing, eventually show up to get your money, play and then let the groin injury occur that takes you out.  

Profit and stick it to the man. 

That's exactly what he tried to do, but the injury he is claiming prevented him from getting on the field, which is why it's NFI and not IR

Both sides misplayed their hands 

12 hours ago, Woz said:

I'm not justifying the action, but if I had to guess, Washington's thought process was "he showed up to get paid/accrue a season, but isn't even going to help us out ... why should we give him a cent if we have a way not to do it?"

That's a fair guess
Washington chose $ 100 million in bad PR vs paying $6 million for great PR

They keep forgetting about the court of public opinion, which is critical in this entertainment industry.
All of the other Wash players are watching this and saying to themselves " This is how they treat their best players ? "
All of the future FA's and their agents are watching this and asking the same question. And so are the fans and so are the advertisers

So while Wash may have a viable case in the court of law, the costs incurred in the court of public opinion are vastly more substantial and negative to the future of the franchise than the $6 million battle they are "winning" from Trent Williams

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That's a fair guess

They keep forgetting about the court of public opinion, which is critical in this entertainment industry.
All of the other Wash players are watching this and saying to themselves " This is how they treat their best players ? "
All of the future FA's and their agents are watching this and asking the same question. And so are the fans and so are the advertisers

So while Wash may have a viable case in the court of law, the costs incurred in the court of public opinion are vastly more substantial and negative to the future of the franchise than the $6 million battle they are "winning" from Trent Williams

The only reason I'm coming to play for Washington as a Free Agent or Resigning with them is because they offered me the Most Money. Nothing ELSE. I don't want to be drafted here with Snyder and Bruce running the show.

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

That's a fair guess

When have Brice and Danny chosen "good PR/make nice" over "being able to say 'I'm right!'" when given the option?

Do they? Or do they just not care anymore?

They're also trying to change the local story by leaking that they're trying to extend Ryan Kerrigan.

The future FAs are looking to Landon Collins and his contract resetting the market.

Washington has gone from just paying the "Dysfunction Tax" to the "Dysfunction LUXURY Tax."

There's a reason why FedEx Field is a half empty stadium, and that half is mostly opposing fans. The Washington fanbase have just stopped caring. We know that Snyder won't sell the team (the Bezos rumors are just there to give us a false sense of hope ... only to be dashed again on the fact that Snyder is just in his 50s). The advertisers don't care all that much.

The one possibility that changes this equation: the Nationals winning the World Series (hey, @ET80, how are you?). Going to the parade I saw a huge number of 8-12 year olds. When I was they're age, they were decked out in Washington Redskins gear. Now, it's all Nationals red. The one (almost assuredly vain) hope I have is that the Nats' continued success and winning the whole thing makes Snyder decide to do something drastic in the way he runs the franchise.

If you told me twenty (heck even ten) years ago that I would voluntarily choose to get a haircut or weed my yard over watching Washington play on Sunday, I would seriously consider getting you medical and/or psychiatric attention. If you told me that when my son was born that I would not only not force him to watch football with me but that I would actively not bring him into the fold and encourage him to find other teams, I would think that I must have slipped a gear or three.

However, that's where I (like so many other fans of yesteryear) find myself. I know I cannot escape the morass that this franchise has become, but I cannot in good conscience make my children suffer my fate. It's not even like rooting for the Cubs or some other band of "lovable losers." No, the Snyder-owned Skins are just repeated scar over my childhood and the DC metro area.

The saddest part: I'm not angry when I find myself writing all that, just resigned and saddened. I have made peace with the fact that I will likely be long into my retirement years before Washington has a new owner, and that the team I love will be tied to the millstone of Snyder, sucking me back into the tar pit every year.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

The one possibility that changes this equation: the Nationals winning the World Series (hey, @ET80, how are you?).

*Shrug*

Can't win 'em all. If I'm going to lose one, it's at least to someone who isn't the Dodgers or Yankees...

I think DC needs this more than Houston.

• Like 1