Redskins LT Trent Williams placed on non-football illness list and out for season

RaidersAreOne

On 11/4/2019 at 4:03 PM, Elky said:

Honestly, Washington can be a competitive team if Danny Boy just butt out of football operations and just produce the money.

The DC area is an amazing football market; the money prints itself. The Ravens are one of the 30 most valuable sports franchises in the world and geographically they don't span most of the area or population of the state of Maryland. There is no excuse for DC not to have an amazing franchise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

"Hey so I know you had cancer and all and you can't physically put a helmet on because of that, but we're also going to continue not paying you this year because you're not playing. Also, plz re-sign with us?"

Man, this organization is just a gong show.

That is one of the most Dan Snyder/Redskins things ever. WOW. That's egregious. I hope he files/wins his grievance, albeit I'm not sure if he "legally" can or will. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The DC area is an amazing football market; the money prints itself. The Ravens are one of the 30 most valuable sports franchises in the world and geographically they don't span most of the area or population of the state of Maryland. There is no excuse for DC not to have an amazing franchise.

With the insane amounts of wonk and lobbyist money that floats there it's malpractice not to have a quality local product just from a sheer $$$ POV.

But Snyder is just so god damn incompetent and, flatly, too evil to know better.

Remember when he sided with Bruce Allen the 50th time and spread rumors that his GM, an alcoholic in recovery, had relapsed to the media in order to justify firing him while keeping Allen?

That would be enough to take the team from his control in any other sports federation in the world, but the NFL has absolutely no capacity and the 31 other owners have absolutely no desire to deal with the issue Snyder presents them all.

Redskins should be making way more money than they do.

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

"Hey so I know you had cancer and all and you can't physically put a helmet on because of that, but we're also going to continue not paying you this year because you're not playing. Also, plz re-sign with us?"

Man, this organization is just a gong show.

Can’t argue with the conclusion in your last sentence, but why on earth would they pay him?

Trent can play, he’s just refusing to do so. He announces (thirdhand) just before training camp that he’ll never play for the Redskins again and demands a trade, continues to hold out for the first half of the season, reports just in time to get his “accrued season” on his contract, reiterates his trade demand and refusal to play for the Redskins, and then (lo and behold) he “fails” his physical. 

If you believe he wouldn’t have passed his physical if he was traded to a team he wants to play for, please PM me — I have a bridge that you might be interested in as an investment opportunity. 

If he doesn’t want to play for the Redskins and chooses to break his contract, I guess that’s his prerogative. But the fact that you think they should continue to honor that same contract and pay him, while he’s actively refusing to play, is befuddling to me. That’s like suggesting a player should keep showing up for practice and take the field on Sunday even after a team cuts him and stops sending the checks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Can’t argue with the conclusion in your last sentence, but why on earth would they pay him?

Trent can play, he’s just refusing to do so. He announces (thirdhand) just before training camp that he’ll never play for the Redskins again and demands a trade, continues to hold out for the first half of the season, reports just in time to get his “accrued season” on his contract, reiterates his trade demand and refusal to play for the Redskins, and then (lo and behold) he “fails” his physical. 

If you believe he wouldn’t have passed his physical if he was traded to a team he wants to play for, please PM me — I have a bridge that you might be interested in as an investment opportunity. 

If he doesn’t want to play for the Redskins and chooses to break his contract, I guess that’s his prerogative. But the fact that you think they should continue to honor that same contract and pay him, while he’s actively refusing to play, is befuddling to me. That’s like suggesting a player should keep showing up for practice and take the field on Sunday even after a team cuts him and stops sending the checks. 

How is he breaking his contract when, to my knowledge, he failed his physical because he cannot physically put a helmet on because of the cancerous tumor that was on his head?

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So the theory is that he's just lying about that because he didn't want to play? How did he fail his physical then?

Your first question answers your second.  He failed his physical by lying about the discomfort.  The man vowed to never play for the Redskins again.  This was really the only route available for him to do that, unless he wanted to lose an accrued season or retire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Your first question answers your second.  He failed his physical by lying about the discomfort.  The man vowed to never play for the Redskins again.  This was really the only route available for him to do that, unless he wanted to lose an accrued season or retire.

One would think there would be safeguards here because I feel like Doctors designating him as a failed physical because he lied would somehow reflect poorly on the doctor, but your point does make sense.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I live in the DC area and I agree, there's tons of money to be made. Other teams make money in this area due to the Skins ineptitude.

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So the theory is that he's just lying about that because he didn't want to play? How did he fail his physical then?

If he really can’t put a helmet on comfortably, why didn’t he just show up and fail his physical at training camp instead of holding out and getting fined many millions of dollars for doing so? It’s not like the “cancerous tumor” would have gotten more uncomfortable as time has gone by — if it was the basis for a failed physical in November, it surely would have been back in August.

And how did he want the Redskins to trade him to some other team when he couldn’t even wear a helmet? How would that possibly have worked — “Hey Cleveland, thanks for trading us that 1st round pick sight unseen. Thanks for agreeing to finalize that deal without reviewing his medicals or requiring a physical. By the way, bit of bad news, he can’t even put on a helmet. Good luck and caveat emptor, losers.”

The answer, of course, is that this has nothing to do with “helmet discomfort.” It has to do with his lack of trust in the organization and desire to play elsewhere. He held out long enough to try to force a trade, and once that possibility passed, he immediately reported back for a grand total of about 27 seconds plus one press conference — just long enough to try to qualify for his accrued season, tell his story, and then come in to fail a physical. Then he was gone again. 

If you need any more reason to believe what appears to be obvious, after he claimed his helmet fit uncomfortably, the Redskins attempted to customize a helmet to allow him to play. Go figure, that didn’t work out either. Apparently we can put men on the moon and create functional robot limbs for people, but we can’t come up with a helmet that fits a man who had a growth removed 10 months ago. 

So yeah, I think Trent is “lying” about his helmet discomfort. I think pretty much everybody knows what’s going on here, to be honest. I think Trent had a serious health condition. I think he was very reasonably extremely scared about it. I think the Redskins’ doctors did misdiagnose it (although I also think it’s unfair of him to have relied exclusively on orthopedists to diagnose rare skin cancer conditions). I think he genuinely doesn’t want to play for the Redskins anymore. 

But I also think he wants a new contract. And I think he’s been playing the game to try to have his cake and eat it too — move on from the Redskins AND also get to burn a year off his contract without ever taking the field. And I don’t see why they should be forced to accommodate him in all that AND pay him for doing nothing. 

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Sorry if that was long and/or sarcastic. I’m mad at Trent — and at my parents for giving birth to me in the DC area and turning me into a Redskins fan 😂

I’m 100% of the belief that his failed physical is...”convenient”, to put it lightly. But why are you mad at Trent? If what’s been reported is remotely true, then Washington did the man dirty (intentionally or not) and then made it a spectacle this season. 

31 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m 100% of the belief that his failed physical is...”convenient”, to put it lightly. But why are you mad at Trent? If what’s been reported is remotely true, then Washington did the man dirty (intentionally or not) and then made it a spectacle this season. 

EDIT:  After reading this, I think I'm back to giving Trent the benefit of the doubt.  One thing I still don't get though is why he originally asked for a contract extension if he was so ready to move on from the Redskins.

Edited by HTTRDynasty