The Trent Williams Holdout is "Over"

MKnight82

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

My thing is he should've manned up and said that he wanted out and wanted to play elsewhere, instead of using the medical staff as an excuse by obliquely accusing them of something.

We don’t know what he told the FO.  He could have told them privately to move him.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's such a cave troll move, but I applaud him for doing it.  

What’s ironic is Trent can blame the scar on his head or the former growth as the reason he can’t get his helmet to fit right. 

“It’s ironic, don’t ya think? A little too ironic... I really do think!”

Dude could’ve just played out this year, made millions upon millions of dollars and then got his trade next season. I really like Trent a lot and I can’t stand what Bruce has done to this organization but both parties handled this about as poorly as you possibly could. It’s really unfortunate that one of the franchises all-time players is leaving in this fashion. Just a crappy situation all the way around. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 9:14 PM, MKnight82 said:

We don’t know what he told the FO.  He could have told them privately to move him.  

Yes. I'm sure he privately told them to move him. But what we DO know publicly is that he's blaming the medical staff and the treatment by the organization as THE reason (*) for wanting them to trade him.

And now doesn't want any outside party (NFL and NFLPA) to review the handling of the situation by the Redskins claiming he just "wants to move on"). 

(*) Oh...and also that he doesn't have any guaranteed money in his contract for the next two years. Can't forget about that.

Seriously, at this point is anyone really still buying his line that this was about the Redskins mishandling this situation? Or are we going to actually see this as someone who used it to try to force his way out of this craphole (which I don't blame him, but be up front about it. If you want out, publicly say it. Don't say in public that it's about a medical misdiagnosis and throw others under the bus because you're too much of a coward to man up and say "I want more money"... or... "I want off this team")

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Exactly. Had he been traded to the Pats, that helmet would've fit just fine.

This still comes back to the Bruce and Dan just being stubborn and the bad side of the bussiness for the player's. 

They should've traded him earlier in the year when it was clear he no longer wanted to play for the organization. 

Trent would've ethier played on the same deal for a new team or renegotiated with his new team. Losing a Pro Bowl LT for nothing is totally stupid on the organization part! They should've taken that 1st from the Pats or got one from the Browns early in negotiations. 

To say letting Trent have his way would've set a example for other player's is bogus, we see the type of deal a Special Teams player in Everett just signed in little guarnteed money of his 9 million. Trent deserved/deserves a opportunity to play elsewhere. 

Edited by Skins212689

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. I'm sure he privately told them to move him. But what we DO know publicly is that he's blaming the medical staff and the treatment by the organization as THE reason (*) for wanting them to trade him.

And now doesn't want any outside party (NFL and NFLPA) to review the handling of the situation by the Redskins claiming he just "wants to move on"). 

(*) Oh...and also that he doesn't have any guaranteed money in his contract for the next two years. Can't forget about that.

Seriously, at this point is anyone really still buying his line that this was about the Redskins mishandling this situation? Or are we going to actually see this as someone who used it to try to force his way out of this craphole (which I don't blame him, but be up front about it. If you want out, publicly say it. Don't say in public that it's about a medical misdiagnosis and throw others under the bus because you're too much of a coward to man up and say "I want more money"... or... "I want off this team")

The latest report from him posted on PFT says that the team planted a lot of the news about him being greedy and wanting more money.  But he conveniently forgot that he said that the first time he spoke to the media since returning to the team. 

And now his season is over after being placed on that list.  I don't see any resolution coming from the review of medical records that will not credit him with a year of his contract ticking off, but Williams won't get paid for anything this season.  If we know how the Redskins do things, they will probably still fine him for the time he missed.  

So we trade Williams in the off-season, with one year left on his contract, for less of a return because other teams will be evaluating their options, and now know for sure that they are going to need to give him a big-money extension after the trade.  

Sure sounds like spite to me.  Winning off the field!  Great culture.  

9 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

This still comes back to the Bruce and Dan just being stubborn and the bad side of the bussiness for the player's. 

They should've traded him earlier in the year when it was clear he no longer wanted to play for the organization. 

Trent would've ethier played on the same deal for a new team or renegotiated with his new team. Losing a Pro Bowl LT for nothing is totally stupid on the organization part! They should've taken that 1st from the Pats or got one from the Browns early in negotiations. 

To say letting Trent have his way would've set a example for other player's is bogus, we see the type of deal a Special Teams player in Everett just signed in little guarnteed money of his 9 million. Trent deserved/deserves a opportunity to play elsewhere. 

Regardless of your opinion of Kirk Cousins performance, this is the same franchise that also let a Pro Bowl QB go for nothing, so this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone here.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Regardless of your opinion of Kirk Cousins performance, this is the same franchise that also let a Pro Bowl QB go for nothing, so this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone here.  

I also have been on record to say they were dumb to not trade Cousin's away to San Fran for their 1st in the 2017 draft. 

Goes back to the stubborness/dumbness of the Owner. He can't even get alot of Us mad at Trent when it seems Trent did fabricate his story a bit. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The latest report from him posted on PFT says that the team planted a lot of the news about him being greedy and wanting more money.  But he conveniently forgot that he said that the first time he spoke to the media since returning to the team. 

And now his season is over after being placed on that list.  I don't see any resolution coming from the review of medical records that will not credit him with a year of his contract ticking off, but Williams won't get paid for anything this season.  If we know how the Redskins do things, they will probably still fine him for the time he missed.  

So we trade Williams in the off-season, with one year left on his contract, for less of a return because other teams will be evaluating their options, and now know for sure that they are going to need to give him a big-money extension after the trade.  

Sure sounds like spite to me.  Winning off the field!  Great culture.  

He doesn't get credit for this season. Unless they turn their previous way of handling these things on its head, he won't have accrued the required # of weeks.

24 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, Cousins is ALSO another player we could've traded for a 1st when the F.O. realized they would not get him to sign here. But they stupidly let pride get in the way

24 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

He doesn't get credit for this season. Unless they turn their previous way of handling these things on its head, he won't have accrued the required # of weeks.

Not so according to WaPo

League rules allow teams to decide whether they want to pay players on the non-football injury list. Considering Williams held out for five months before returning to the team last week and has essentially vowed to never play for Washington again, the Redskins could select not to pay him, keeping him from collecting any of his $10.8 million base salary for 2019.

The Redskins did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Williams should still get credit for this season toward fulfilling his contractual obligation to the Redskins. That's an important consideration because the primary reason he came back right before the Oct. 29 trade deadline was to ensure this year would be counted under his contract. It means he will have one year left under the deal after this season, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.

Read More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/07/redskins-place-trent-williams-non-football-injury-list-meaning-he-wont-play/