The Trent Williams Holdout is "Over"

MKnight82

Most of the sources I’ve seen about the Reserve/NFI list have indicated that you don’t accrue time towards the required 6 games while you’re on the list. 

However, based on how I’m reading the relevant CBA provision on NFI, I think WaPo may actually be correct:

Section 3. Nonfootball Injury:

(a) A player who is placed on a Nonfootball Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”)
will not be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, his contract will continue to run while in such status.
(b) A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contract tolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regular season game, the club must pay the player his negotiated Paragraph 5 Salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in order to toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off N-F/I during the period when such action is allowed by League rules, his contract will not be tolled.

Seems to indicate that Trent will get credit for the games while he’s on NFI — because it isn’t the last year of his contract, so the contract won’t be tolled by his placement on the list.

But here’s the twist. When you look at the section on accrued seasons, you seem to reach the opposite outcome as to whether he will get credit for this year as an accrued season:

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation:

(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a
player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

To the best of my knowledge, he hasn’t been on “full pay status” all year. And maybe that’s the key. Maybe the holdout is the difference between Trent and the typical player who gets placed on NFI? Very complicated, tricky stuff. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Not so according to WaPo

I think they are wrong. 

Maybe..so does the NFL.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2019-nfl-free-agency-faq/

Q.  What constitutes an “accrued season”?

A.  Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserve/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists.

That ^^^ means having a spot on the roster or being on IR or on the PuP. Players on the practice squad and the Non-Football Related Injury or Commissioner's Exempt list, do not record accrued games or seasons.

The whole reason the Redskins were seeking a roster exemption for his was to keep him out of the requisite 6 games. Now that he's on the NFI list, it's not an accrued season. At least not according to the NFL.

53 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Most of the sources I’ve seen about the Reserve/NFI list have indicated that you don’t accrue time towards the required 6 games while you’re on the list. 

However, based on how I’m reading the relevant CBA provision on NFI, I think WaPo may actually be correct:

Seems to indicate that Trent will get credit for the games while he’s on NFI — because it isn’t the last year of his contract, so the contract won’t be tolled by his placement on the list.

But here’s the twist. When you look at the section on accrued seasons, you seem to reach the opposite outcome as to whether he will get credit for this year as an accrued season:

To the best of my knowledge, he hasn’t been on “full pay status” all year. And maybe that’s the key. Maybe the holdout is the difference between Trent and the typical player who gets placed on NFI? Very complicated, tricky stuff. 

Yup. I was going by the latter part of it when talking about accrued seasons. I think the Redskins, if they wanted to, can prevail here because the first part is murky enough. The latter section is pretty darn clear.

It's also why I think he made a mistake ( in order to get the accrued games) when he came back a week or two too late (even if he wasn't going to get put on the NFI, the Redskins were going to get him on the Exempt list for 2 weeks)

With all that’s been said and done, one thing is perfectly clear, Bruce has to go. You can’t have this man running your organization. This has to end and Dan has to find someone who can bring this franchise back from the doldrums. This cannot continue to go on. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What does he think a sprain is? From the first sentence of an article called “sprain” on an obscure source called Wikipedia:

“A sprain, also known as a torn ligament, is damage to one or more ligaments in a joint.”

Nothing like attempting to bury the doctors for accurately reporting your injury to you — turns out it’s not their fault that you’re a dodo who played sports his whole life and now acts as a self-styled social media sports commentator but somehow doesn’t understand that a sprain literally is a partial ligament tear. Maybe this “dim wit” should look into working 9 to 5 at McDonald’s instead.

As @lavar703 said recently, the Redskins FO sucks. But they are such an easy target that you get these morons piling on with any harebrained grievance they ever had against the organization and everybody assumes its Lucifer at work again. It gets more than a little old — but hopefully things have reached a critical mass where Snyder can’t possibly resist the groundswell/demand for Bruce’s ouster. 

• Like 3

You guys remember when Robert got his knee destroyed by Ngata, right?

Remember what I said then?

I said they should shut him down and have him get surgery to tighten up that knee. Because hyperextension of any joint is gonna stretch the ligaments. And with the degree that was hyperextended, it was going to cause issues later in terms of ligaments being loose and not keeping the knee stable.

But they didn't. And then the playoff game with Seattle is when that bill came due. The ligaments that were stretched out (remember, ligaments once stretched do not return to their original length - they are like salt water taffy in that respect), did not keep the knee tight and it caused the rest of the ligaments to tear.

Sprains are just a mild tear of the ligaments. Usually some rest, ice, therapy, etc... will allow you to recover from it. But if it's more serious tear it will need attention.

40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You guys remember when Robert got his knee destroyed by Ngata, right?

Remember what I said then?

I said they should shut him down and have him get surgery to tighten up that knee. Because hyperextension of any joint is gonna stretch the ligaments. And with the degree that was hyperextended, it was going to cause issues later in terms of ligaments being loose and not keeping the knee stable.

But they didn't. And then the playoff game with Seattle is when that bill came due. The ligaments that were stretched out (remember, ligaments once stretched do not return to their original length - they are like salt water taffy in that respect), did not keep the knee tight and it caused the rest of the ligaments to tear.

Sprains are just a mild tear of the ligaments. Usually some rest, ice, therapy, etc... will allow you to recover from it. But if it's more serious tear it will need attention.

And still in that incident Doctor's didn't force the player not to return to the field. They let him ice it for a week or so and then damage it to the full extreme THEY already knew was possible without the surgery. A player shouldn't have to play through a injury that's only gonna get worst without surgery to get paid. Let them have there surgey and still pay them. Also Robert was allowed to rush back "All In for Week 1" Doctor's shouldn't have allowed that ethier unless he was some physical freak like Barkley was with his past injury in New York. 

14 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

And still in that incident Doctor's didn't force the player not to return to the field. They let him ice it for a week or so and then damage it to the full extreme THEY already knew was possible without the surgery. A player shouldn't have to play through a injury that's only gonna get worst without surgery to get paid. Let them have there surgey and still pay them. Also Robert was allowed to rush back "All In for Week 1" Doctor's shouldn't have allowed that ethier unless he was some physical freak like Barkley was with his past injury in New York. 

They did pull him that game, IIRC and let Kirk finish.

But yeah, I agree with you on the rest of it. I hate this medical staff/training staff. I get that they are trying to field a team. But you can't treat a hyperextension like Robert's like a garden-variety sprain. And it was stupid for the medical staff, coaches AND the F.O. (which includes the OWNER) to allow him to do that whole "All In For Week One" hype train BS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

They did pull him that game, IIRC and let Kirk finish.

But yeah, I agree with you on the rest of it. I hate this medical staff/training staff. I get that they are trying to field a team. But you can't treat a hyperextension like Robert's like a garden-variety sprain. And it was stupid for the medical staff, coaches AND the F.O. (which includes the OWNER) to allow him to do that whole "All In For Week One" hype train BS.

Your right, they did pull him the Raven's game. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 8:52 AM, Skinsin2013 said:

If Trent was traded at the right time, we could have had a top 3 pick and another top 10 pick. Bruce is a farging disaster.

Yeah this guys a disaster. Instead we will get a 2nd round pick and we know our booming success rate with those 😂😂😂

• Like 1