Week #9 Game Day Thread Steelers vs. Colts

Steeler Hitman

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Schefter reporting Conner might not be back next week. Maybe Fichter can cater the offense more toward Samuels' skillset next week.

that sucks, but I'm not surprised. the trainer/doctor whoever on sideline looked seriously concerned diagnosing it last week.

I didn't buy how much Tomlin downplayed it in his presser.

Maybe they should sign a decent FA after all

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sorry. Kinda hard to respond when I’m teaching my 13th lesson of the day. 

let's break it down, you can respond in pieces.

you said you disagree with everything I posted

I'll start

"Almost all shanks are caused by contact with the hosel"

yes/no

Also you can shank a shot off the inside of the hosel. Common? No. Does it happen. Absolutely. 

The presence and lack of groves has little to do with spin. Grooves are places for any material (dirt, grass, moisture) to to be pulled away so the ball can roll up the face. The angular difference between dynamic launch (angle at which the ball takes off), angle of attack (angle at which the club is traveling), wish the factor of speed. 

Curvature is created by the the difference in the swing path and starting direction of the shot. Face at impact controls roughly 80% of the starting direction. Swinging inside to out with an open face still results in a slice. This creates the spin axis (up to a 7degree tilt of the axis) on which the ball curves. The steeler the axis the more it curves. 

Conversely more backspin can help straighten a shot because the greater the backspin the harder it is for shots to be effected by the spin axis (hence why drivers curve more than wedges). 

When the ball hits the hosel, it’s a round object hitting a round object. So the properties control where that ball goes. Considering there’s little to no loft at the time of impact, the ball Has little backspin to it creating the short flying low height hard curving shot that’s the fed to be associated as the “shank”. 

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Also you can shank a shot off the inside of the hosel. Common? No. Does it happen. Absolutely. 

The presence and lack of groves has little to do with spin. Grooves are places for any material (dirt, grass, moisture) to to be pulled away so the ball can roll up the face. The angular difference between dynamic launch (angle at which the ball takes off), angle of attack (angle at which the club is traveling), wish the factor of speed. 

the inside of the hosel is still the hosel. what's your point?

grooves have so little to do with spin that the UGAA placed rules in effect to outlaw certain types of them in 2010 if I recall.

hmmmm

Conversely more backspin can help straighten a shot because the greater the backspin the harder it is for shots to be effected by the spin axis (hence why drivers curve more than wedges).

the verb form is AFFECTED . 

*drop mic*

I guarantee you I can make a wedge slice or hook more than a driver.   It would be caused by giving the driver a 10% swing .  The amount of slice or hook as measured by total gross distance is a function of how far the ball travels in total.  A driver at full swing (or 85% swing) travels a lot farther than a wedge {assuming sweet spot contact, etc} . You're also completely ignoring gear effect here, but I'm not surprised.. it doesn't fit your narrative.

When the ball hits the hosel, it’s a round object hitting a round object. So the properties control where that ball goes. Considering there’s little to no loft at the time of impact, the ball Has little backspin to it creating the short flying low height hard curving shot that’s the fed to be associated as the “shank”. 

you just oversimplified and poorly described the gear effect which happens without contacting the hosel but still hitting close to the heel

So anyways, how did any of what you post prove that I was 0% correct?  It certainly didn't refute anything in the videos. I mean you admit that hosel contact causes shanks, you admit that swing path and face angle contribute to path and spin,  you go with the classical shank definition of a low-right scorcher (for a right hander)  when the kick in the game was a massive initially-straight massive hook....

I'm just genuinely confused and concerned that you think somehow anything you posted proved what I posted wrong.

Edited by SlevinKelevra
formatting of multiquote

1 minute ago, SlevinKelevra said:

the inside of the hosel is still the hosel. what's your point?

So a shank can go left.

grooves have so little to do with spin that the UGAA placed rules in effect to outlaw certain types of them in 2010 if I recall.

hmmmm

Yes, they decreased the radius, width, and depth of the grooves to minimize how much material a grove can hold.  

You're out of your depths here.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So a shank can go left.

Yes, they decreased the radius, width, and depth of the grooves to minimize how much material a grove can hold.  

You're out of your depths here.

yes, a shank *can* go left, but it doesn't have to go left, and even if it does, it's caused by hitting the ball with the non-intended portion of the instrument. (aka, not with the inside of your foot).  watch the replay of the kick.  tell me he hits it off his "foot hosel"   oh wait, you can't.

are you seriously arguing the change in V/U grooves doesn't impact spin rate?

give your clients a refund.

Edited by SlevinKelevra