Week #9 Game Day Thread Steelers vs. Colts

Steeler Hitman

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not sure I'd go as far as cutting Barron, but I would like to see what Gilbert has to offer. I know he's young, but can he be worse than Barron?

Rewatch the Dolphin game and watch Barron.  He did nothing.  Really looked bad on that 2nd Fin TD.  He is suppose to be the cover LB.  Can't tackle or cover.  I would give Gilbert a chance.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Rewatch the Dolphin game and watch Barron.  He did nothing.  Really looked bad on that 2nd Fin TD.  He is suppose to be the cover LB.  Can't tackle or cover.  I would give Gilbert a chance.

I didn't get a chance to watch it in the first place. I didn't realize he played so poorly. That's becoming a pretty dangerous trend for him.

3 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

While I don't trust this team to do it, playoffs are still very much in their control.

I never know what to expect with the tomlin led steelers. If they win the next 2 or even split, they could still win out after that IMO. The ravens game at the end should be for either the division or most likely a WC spot.  Lets face it, this team had all the tough games  in the first half of the season, and many of those games were vs legit playoff teams that were playing well and healthy at the time when they played them. 

we want the pats to win this weekend. I'm not expecting the browns to be a contender as they appear to be falling apart .  The #2 seed is what will be a race, with #1 already being the pats. 

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

he would have been benched/traded by if I was tomlin. That missed tackle was trash and he has had a few of those. But tomlin likes the way baron has played, hence a reason I lose praise for tomlin. 

Worst tacklers on the 2019 steelers:

baron and  edmunds - both are still starters :o

PFF has pouncey the 2nd worst C in the league. Time to trade him and pay Watt, the #1 Edge in PFF. I see PFF as a decent guideline, not the final word, but I have thought pouncey was overrated for years, now he gats paid more than any C yet is possibly the worst? I didn't think it was quite that bad but maybe he has the ability to get by without much bad press via replays and media. 

Feiler made the top 5, another player that should get paid 

Edited by 3rivers

19 hours ago, jebrick said:

One of the more disappointing defenders on the roster in my humble opinion.  i have read that the coaches have praised his play, but I have been underwhelmed.  I was expecting a much greater impact from him.  I get that a positive impact can be making tackles, being where you are supposed to be etc. However, I had a much higher ceiling for Baron in our defense than that. I have not gone back and just studied his play during games, but it seems (feel free to correct me anyone) that he gets targeted and a significant amount of third down conversions, keys pass plays,  etc. have been on his watch. 

Everyone has off plays and games.  By comparison, Bush has been beat in coverage, blocked, knocked out of plays etc.  Yet he has also responded and made an impact (splash) in both the rushing and passing defenses.  Even Bud Dupree has been consistently much more active on defense. I just haven't seen that from Barron.  He has the experience and physical tools that he should excel in this defense. Maybe I am missing something, but I haven't seen it all season (I know he was hurt, but I mean the games he's played in). :$

19 hours ago, 3rivers said:

he would have been benched/traded by if I was Tomlin. That missed tackle was trash and he has had a few of those.

As I stated in the previous post, I am somewhat disappointed in what I have seen and not seen from Mark Barron. With Williams being hurt earlier and the lack of coverage ability from Williams and Dirty Red.  Give Ulysses a shot. I think he was injured as well though. It may just be Barron by default.

But Tomlin likes the way Baron has played, hence a reason I lose praise for Tomlin. 

Coach T deserves some criticism, but sometimes I think the media and fans over-react.  He said Burns played well on game as well. Maybe he is trying to show the players that he has support for them publicly?  Maybe he is trying to boost their confidence to get the most from them. I don't know, so I am not going to lose praise for that. I am more disappointed at some of the game preparation and failure to change some of the trends. (Slow starting offense every game this season, for example).

Worst tacklers on the 2019 steelers:

Baron and  Edmunds - both are still starters :o

I love Edmunds upside, speed, potential. He should never have been a #1 in my humble opinion.  I think that we all predicted that it would take three or four years for him to develop. He is in year two after being thrust into the starting lineup a year too early. I am by no means ready to write him off yet   I don't put him in the same category as I do Sean Davis (whom I am a fan of), but I don't like his play and development thus far. He has not stepped up when on the field. I know he is hurt and got bounced a round at various positions like a pinball, but I have yet to see from him what former University of MD Safety Darnell Savage has done as a rookie.

I was expecting Barron to make a similar ascension at LB as Shaq Thompson did for the Panthers.

PFF has Pouncey the 2nd worst C in the league. Time to trade him and pay Watt, the #1 Edge in PFF. I see PFF as a decent guideline, not the final word, but I have thought Pouncey was overrated for years, now he gats paid more than any C yet is possibly the worst? I didn't think it was quite that bad but maybe he has the ability to get by without much bad press via replays and media. 

Pouncey has never been Mike Webster or Dermonti Dawson, but that is alright. Not many who ever put a helmet on are.  However, Pouncey can move and is a willing downfield blocker.  He struggles against the stronger and bigger NG's and DT's.  Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.  However, he is by no means a liability or even remotely close to being a bad C.  PFF can't measure the intangibles that he brings to the OL and team, nor are their rankings the gospel in my book and many others.

Feiler made the top 5, another player that should get paid.

I love my PSAC guys.  He is someone I constantly root for and is a throwback type of Steelers RT. Matt has tremendous upside, but is not Top Five yet.  Writers are so quick to crown and proclaim people, who play a few good games rather than a few good years. Then cast them aside when they struggle or the next flavor of the month comes around.  I hope that big Matt can get paid and finish a successful career as a Steeler.  However, he is still developing. Thankfully his best football is still ahead of him and he has not peaked in terms of potential. 

1 minute ago, August4th said:

Saw that this morning.  With Connor up in the air and Samuels still recovering, they may have to make a move. I don't have a problem giving Edmunds a shot, but not sure I would be comfortable with him starting or having to play all four quarters.  As someone else posted in another thread/section, this is where a player like CJ Anderson could help.

6 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Saw that this morning.  With Connor up in the air and Samuels still recovering, they may have to make a move. I don't have a problem giving Edmunds a shot, but not sure I would be comfortable with him starting or having to play all four quarters.  As someone else posted in another thread/section, this is where a player like CJ Anderson could help.

I don't think Samuels is up in the air. I think he's good to go. I hope they don't sign anyone. There's no point in wasting money on a RB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think Samuels is up in the air. I think he's good to go. I hope they don't sign anyone. There's no point in wasting money on a RB.

If Samuels is good to go, he has proven he can carry the load for a game or two.  Let's see what Edmunds can do spelling him then.   I don't know how much of a aste of money a guy like Anderson would be. He's proven to be consistent and reliable. If it is short term, then probably not worth it with Connor and Samuels back in the fold in a week.