Week 1 Rams Vs Colts

Flounch

I was at the game. Had a great time. One thing that stuck out to me is Goff had Sammy wide open for a touchdown right in front of me and threw it to woods instead. Didn't look like he even looked at Watkins the whole play. Makes me believe that McVay is starting him from scratch. Giving him only a couple options to actually read until he gets more comfortable.  

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

You said Gurley didn't try to create things for himself when nothing was there. One of those holding penalties that took a big run away is when Gurley saw nothing there then ran the way and turned the corner and I think Havenstein was called for holding. The commentators even mentioned it on the broadcast.

Also I wouldn't give up on Tavon. Him being another weapon is key. Like any time he has the ball in his hands he can explode and I want to see what McVay can do over the long haul with him. Again as I mentioned in another thread, with Watkins, Gurley, Kupp, the two tight ends, defenses cant take away everyone. Like he had a 9yd run yesterday that looked like he wouldn't get much if not anything and he quickness and shiftiness got him yards quicks. The more he is in this offense working with McVay, there will be more wrinkles and we might not see it till later on in the season but it's another weapon the Rams have in their arsenal and I don't want to lose that.

I did mention that his outside plays were called back on flags.  On those plays however, I think an outside run was called rather then him popping out.  Might misremember though.  2 holding plays on his 2 biggest runs, both outside.

4 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

I was at the game. Had a great time. One thing that stuck out to me is Goff had Sammy wide open for a touchdown right in front of me and threw it to woods instead. Didn't look like he even looked at Watkins the whole play. Makes me believe that McVay is starting him from scratch. Giving him only a couple options to actually read until he gets more comfortable.  

Based on what I've seen, that's highly doubtful. 

5 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

What makes you certain Woods wasn't his first read? If your first read is open for a good gain go for it! Not worried about Goff just want to see it for another week.

Just now, I <3 Faulk said:

You're probably right if you've saw different.  I haven't rewatched it. He missed  a wide open Watkins though. 

It happens. Maybe he misread the defense presnap. Maybe the defense blew a coverage unexpectedly. Maybe someone fell down. Maybe Watkins wasn't as open as it seemed. I can't say until coach's film is out. Then, I can check and see.(and hopefully give an explanation)

Just now, jrry32 said:

It happens. Maybe he misread the defense presnap. Maybe the defense blew a coverage unexpectedly. Maybe someone fell down. Maybe Watkins wasn't as open as it seemed. I can't say until coach's film is out. Then, I can check and see.(and hopefully give an explanation)

Looked like both safties bit down and Sammy was crossing right in front of the endzone. Would like to know what you see when you do get a chance. I'm sure everything seems more open in person too.

Just now, I <3 Faulk said:

Looked like both safties bit down and Sammy was crossing right in front of the endzone. Would like to know what you see when you do get a chance. I'm sure everything seems more open in person too.

Do you remember what point in the game it was? I'll look tomorrow.

20 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

I believe it was the drive after the Colts missed the field goal in the 3rd quarter.  Our first drive of the 3rd quarter.  

I checked the play. Watkins did look open, but there was a safety over the top. The CB passed off Watkins to the deep safety. Goff threw the deep cross to Woods instead. He did look for Watkins, but he decided Woods was a better option. I agree. The CB who passed off Watkins didn't drop deep enough (because he had to keep an eye on Gurley who leaked into the flat), and Watkins forced the deep safety to pick him up. That left Goff with a window to hit Woods for a big gain (27 yards, IIRC). Goff could have thrown deep to Watkins, but it was a less certain play because of the deep safety.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I checked the play. Watkins did look open, but there was a safety over the top. The CB passed off Watkins to the deep safety. Goff threw the deep cross to Woods instead. He did look for Watkins, but he decided Woods was a better option. I agree. The CB who passed off Watkins didn't drop deep enough (because he had to keep an eye on Gurley who leaked into the flat), and Watkins forced the deep safety to pick him up. That left Goff with a window to hit Woods for a big gain (27 yards, IIRC). Goff could have thrown deep to Watkins, but it was a less certain play because of the deep safety.

Okay. I didn't see the other safety.  I was on the right side of the endzone ( looking at the field, to Goffs left if he's looking at the endzone) like 4 rows up so I didn't have a perfect view. Fair enough.  I appreciate you looking at the play. 

Archived