Can Anyone Imagine This Playing Out?

soulman

"Ted, George…I ****ed Up.”

e6d50a12c068be89060c5271a6241ef0?s=16&d= Jeff Hughes | October 28th, 2019

3-11ryanpace.jpg?resize=753%2C345

Ryan Pace wakes up.

He kisses his wife on the forehead. Tells her he loves her.

He walks downstairs and pours himself a cup of Lavazza. (I assume Pace is like me and has the kind of coffee maker he can set the night before.) Maybe he makes some toast. Dry. No butter. Maybe he fries and egg or two. He sits at the kitchen table in silence.

Coffee works.

He takes his dump.

Showers.

Dresses for the workday. His favorite suit. He needs it today. This is not his normal workday and he knows it.

He gets into the office an hour earlier than normal to prepare and stares out the window, waiting to see the cars of Ted Phillips and George McCaskey arrive.

They finally do. It’s time.

“Ted, George,” he says, “I ****ed up.”

In the modern NFL, missing on the first-round quarterback can set a franchise back years if you let it. The Bears can’t let it. Today, the entire organization has to acknowledge they chose the wrong guy. It’s difficult. It’s painful. For Pace, it’s somewhat humiliating. But it is necessary if the team hopes to contend for a title in in the next few years. Because they will not contend for anything with Mitch Trubisky playing quarterback.

I’m not going to rehash last week’s column every Monday. Trubisky can’t play. He seems to require ten yards of space between the receiver and defender to complete a pass. (Who misses receivers on five yard slants?) He’s a backup. And now there seems to be a legion of fans on social media ready to excuse him for every single poor decision and dumb throw and mindless error and clueless moment.

No drunk ever quits drinking until they admit they have a problem. Pace, Nagy and the whole of the Bears organization need to confront this basic truth. The quarterback can’t play. And they have to move on.

Taking all else into consideration to me two things that not only tended to seal any chance of Sunday not coming down to a missed final second FG for a loss are these.

1) An interception of a poorly advised pass.

2) A simple non-contact fumble after having again missed a shot at a scoring pass.

The bottom line is Mitch's ability to hit on those "big plays" downfield that can put a game out of reach are even worse than inconsistent. He simply fails to execute most of them right when he needs one the most.  I realize there are a few exceptions but overall he misses more often than he connects and costs his offense points in this way as well.

Then after again listening to Mitch's presser I have to ask why did you even attempt that pass after you noticed the CB dropping off Taylor Gabriel to cover Burton?  You admit you saw it yet made the throw anyway.  Why?  Was it because that was your read and you felt bound and determined to complete it despite the risk?

And if you knew you should be handling the ball with both hands while in the pocket why didn't you.  It's like an outfielder saying I should have made a two hand catch to secure the ball or a batter saying I know I shouldn't have swung at a pitch in the dirt but somehow I just can't help myself.  It was an unforced error plain and simple.

This is NOT a rookie QB.  This is a kid in his 3rd season who not only can't seem to execute the offense and complete passes he has to make but in both of these instances he's still making mistakes a rookie would make and even worse he keeps repeating these mistakes game after game after game without any relief in sight.

I can't help but thinking Jeff Hughes is right.  It's time for that humbling "come to Jesus meeting" with the boss where you admit you **** up before they call it to your attention.  But before you do Ryan make damn sure you have a solid plan for how you're gonna fix this deal because it is YOUR deal.  YOUR mistake you have to own up for.

He's got the rest of this season to show me something. The old adage is that it takes 3 years for a QB to become truly comfortable in a system (especially WCO based), but that just isn't realistic anymore with impatient fans/media.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soulman said:

This is NOT a rookie QB.  This is a kid in his 3rd season who not only can't seem to execute the offense and complete passes he has to make but in both of these instances he's still making mistakes a rookie would make and even worse he keeps repeating these mistakes game after game after game without any relief in sight.

One thing I have noticed that bugs me is I've caught a few times post-game where Trubisky says he doesn't remember a play or doesn't remember what he saw. I don't know what kind of memory/recall he has -- I certainly don't know if he's dumb -- but those comments get under my skin. I do believe that the truly great QBs have a terrific recall and it might be why Trubisky keeps making mistakes. He's said himself he's a "reps guy" and right now we're watching him struggle through it.

Kick the tires on Mariota in the off-season and if Mitch ****s the bed, make the switch with the understanding that Mariota has a shot to take over in 2021 while you draft a kid you like. Outside of that, not sure what more they can do to try and save face.

Bridgewater might get paid out of our window, Tannehill and Winston suck, Nick Mullens was intriguing for a period of time...

58 minutes ago, G08 said:

One thing I have noticed that bugs me is I've caught a few times post-game where Trubisky says he doesn't remember a play or doesn't remember what he saw. I don't know what kind of memory/recall he has -- I certainly don't know if he's dumb -- but those comments get under my skin. I do believe that the truly great QBs have a terrific recall and it might be why Trubisky keeps making mistakes. He's said himself he's a "reps guy" and right now we're watching him struggle through it.

Kick the tires on Mariota in the off-season and if Mitch ****s the bed, make the switch with the understanding that Mariota has a shot to take over in 2021 while you draft a kid you like. Outside of that, not sure what more they can do to try and save face.

Bridgewater might get paid out of our window, Tannehill and Winston suck, Nick Mullens was intriguing for a period of time...

IMHO he clearly not in control either during a game or in his post game self-analysis.  The self doubt is always there.

Also IMHO whether it's Mariota, Foles, or someone else the time has come to at the very least prepare to move on from Mitch.  We really can't afford to continue with a maybe he will or maybe he won't become "that guy" who can lead a team to a championship.  We have to know or at least feel far more positive about it than we can now.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

He's got the rest of this season to show me something. The old adage is that it takes 3 years for a QB to become truly comfortable in a system (especially WCO based), but that just isn't realistic anymore with impatient fans/media.

This is year three so he's also bumping up against my theory that by year three most players will show you what they've got and what they don't have and Mitch is doing just that.

The physical tools are all there but his mental acuity and confidence as a leader are not.  Truth be told Cutler showed more leadership than Mitch has and Mitch is making all of the same errors Cutler was crucified for.

The difference is Jay had to take more risk in order to win with such a poor supporting cast.  Mitch has that supporting cast so all he needs to do is execute well and he's failing at that.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, G08 said:

Especially this franchise and its fans.  You have two years at most, in year three you better look like something good.  In year 2 howls will start.  In year 3, which we are living, they get deafening.   

That's why I screamed from rooftops letting MT sit first year or not take all offseason reps was horrible idea.   You needed him to get better fast.  You can't wait.  Nobody cares about first year.  You can go 0-16.   Second year you have to show promise and third year they expect you to be good.   

Would it have helped?  Probably not.  He seems to be regressing instead of getting better.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Especially this franchise and its fans.  You have two years at most, in year three you better look like something good.  In year 2 howls will start.  In year 3, which we are living, they get deafening.   

That's why I screamed from rooftops letting MT sit first year or not take all offseason reps was horrible idea.   You needed him to get better fast.  You can't wait.  Nobody cares about first year.  You can go 0-16.   Second year you have to show promise and third year they expect you to be good.   

Would it have helped?  Probably not.  He seems to be regressing instead of getting better.  

While I believe that with as little college experience as Mitch had he could have benefited by apprenticing under an experienced vet for a year who that vet was and that it was to play out under Fox and Loggains seems to have made this the train wreck it's become.

I do have a theory of how we might still do this in 2020 with Alex Smith (if 100% healthy) or possibly Nick Foles serving in that role as a #1 while Mitch learns from the sidelines as the #2 in hopes that may help to save his career with an emphasis on may, not assure.

I went into my thinking (and possibly Pace's as well) in a post in another thread so I won't go into all of the details again here but I can see a possible fit for either provided we could get them AND they are 100% ready to play as a #1 QB and help Mitch to learn.

While I still believe Jeff Hughes may be correct I also believe that as conservative as this organization is moving on from Mitch is unlikely as long as we have no better options on board.  Not with the money and draft picks we've invested in Mack and others in order to force open this window now.  IMHO something has to precede moving on from Mitch and I also don't believe even that will happen until after the 2020 season and after we can draft another QB prospect in 2020 and possibly again in 2021.

We do have a few other holes to fill but the gaping wound is at QB and until that fixed we will in all likelihood remain broken as a team.

Edited by soulman

On 10/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, G08 said:

That isn't realistic because QBs do not take 3 years to announce themselves.

That is a GM cliche to buy themselves time.

If you suck in year 3, you probably just suck unless you are Drew Brees or Alex Smith.

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Show me a fan base that would accept their QB playing like this in year 2 of the system and year 3 in the NFL?

I will wait.

Trubisky sucking is a body blow to Pace.

I know it will not cost him his job, although I think that needs to be discussed, but this could not be more damaging to him. He is now on his last QB and he is already on his last coach.

I am not sure how his meeting will go with George and Ted, but I cannot see ownership being happy about a 1 and done playoff birth and then back to 10k no shows, which is what they had at the last game.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That isn't realistic because QBs do not take 3 years to announce themselves.

That is a GM cliche to buy themselves time.

If you suck in year 3, you probably just suck unless you are Drew Brees or Alex Smith.

You can argue the days of developing a QB are over, and I'd agree; but to say what you said here is patently false. 

Offensive coaches have said ad nauseum it takes at least 3 years in a system for a QB to feel comfortable and flourish. Nagy and Childress have said it's closer to 5 to master this system. If you choose to ignore that, well, I don't know what to tell you. 

It's like you're pointing at water and telling me it's dry. 

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

Just now, G08 said:

You can argue the days of developing a QB ate over, but to say what you said is patently false. 

Offensive coaches have said ad nauseum it takes at least 3 years in a system for a QB to feel comfortable and flourish. Nagy and Childress have said it's closer to 5 to master this system. If you choose to ignore that, well, I don't know what to tell you. 

They are bias, because they want more time. So what they said is totally based on protecting their job security and not on the truth. If you want to take coach speak at face value you are welcome to, you must have been a massive John Fox fan or you are still waiting on Trestman to "grow the man".

Trubisky is in his 3rd year and has regressed.

I understand it might take till year 3 to hit your peak and master the NFL game, and it would be different with 10 if we were seeing any signs of moving towards mastery. Instead we are seeing regression and collapse. There is a significant difference between haven't mastered the game yet and collapsing in on yourself like a dying star.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

You can argue the days of developing a QB are over, and I'd agree; but to say what you said here is patently false. 

Why has Rogers picked up Laflauers system in 4 games? Why has Mahomes picked up Reid’s system in less than a season?

Why does Big Ben and Matt Ryan have no issues switching OCs?

Just now, Nads786 said:

Why has Rogers picked up Laflauers system in 4 games? Why has Mahomes picked up Reid’s system in less than a season?

Why does Big Ben and Matt Ryan have no issues switching OCs?

Kyler Murray started 14 games in college and looks better in his first 8 games in  the NFL than Mitch has ever looked on a worse team.