Can Anyone Imagine This Playing Out?

soulman

53 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Get what you're sayin', but if we need a QB, we need a QB...

Agreed, next offseason is all about getting a QB.

We cannot waste one more game of this defensive talent.

I don’t care if they trade every pick they have to get the guy Nagy wants. Everything else is secondary.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, soulman said:

You just gave two good example of guys whose careers flourished after year three with new teams.

So exactly how does that prove your point?  It can happen provided the QB has any talent to begin with.

There are a lot more than those guys as well.  How about Steve Young?  Tampa Bay’s brain trust and their fan base labeled him a flat out bust and unceremoniously shipped him off to San Francisco.  

Anyone else remember how much Elway struggled early in his career?  He looked lost while the 5th QB drafted in the first round that year (Marino) took the NFL by storm.  

Terry Bradshaw was openly mocked by the media and other players as stupid and a huge bust until he wasn’t.  

Trubisky was the biggest project of the three top guys.  I don’t think the Bears should have drafted him.  I was a huge proponent of Mahomes followed by Watson on another Bears message board.  However, Trubisky has talent.  He works hard and wants to be a great player.  It’s crazy the level of hate he receives.  When he plays well, that doesn’t count.  When he struggles, that is construed as what Mitch is and will always be.  He’s a young QB already in his second NFL system and he hasn’t even finished his third year and there are some people already labeling him a bust?  It’s brutal.  This fan base has always had a bit of a meatball mentality and it’s certainly reared it’s ugly head in regard to Trubisky.  

I really like this message board because the discussions are more civil and both sides of issues are considered with a fair amount of objectivity.  The other place that I post is a cesspool and the best contributors have taken a hiatus. 

However, you do have the biggest flip flopping, hot take machine from that site here too.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, playthrough2001 said:

There are a lot more than those guys as well.  How about Steve Young?  Tampa Bay’s brain trust and their fan base labeled him a flat out bust and unceremoniously shipped him off to San Francisco.  

Anyone else remember how much Elway struggled early in his career?  He looked lost while the 5th QB drafted in the first round that year (Marino) took the NFL by storm.  

Terry Bradshaw was openly mocked by the media and other players as stupid and a huge bust until he wasn’t.  

Trubisky was the biggest project of the three top guys.  I don’t think the Bears should have drafted him.  I was a huge proponent of Mahomes followed by Watson on another Bears message board.  However, Trubisky has talent.  He works hard and wants to be a great player.  It’s crazy the level of hate he receives.  When he plays well, that doesn’t count.  When he struggles, that is construed as what Mitch is and will always be.  He’s a young QB already in his second NFL system and he hasn’t even finished his third year and there are some people already labeling him a bust?  It’s brutal.  This fan base has always had a bit of a meatball mentality and it’s certainly reared it’s ugly head in regard to Trubisky.  

I really like this message board because the discussions are more civil and both sides of issues are considered with a fair amount of objectivity.  The other place that I post is a cesspool and the best contributors have taken a hiatus. 

However, you do have the biggest flip flopping, hot take machine from that site here too.  

I see what you're saying but most of the examples you've provided played decades ago.

I think many fans are labeling him a bust because of the other guys from his draft class. That's not fair. But even when Mitch posts a good stat line, there are many moments where he doesn't look like an NFL QB on the field.

52 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I see what you're saying but most of the examples you've provided played decades ago.

I think many fans are labeling him a bust because of the other guys from his draft class. That's not fair. But even when Mitch posts a good stat line, there are many moments where he doesn't look like an NFL QB on the field.

He had 3 touchdowns against Detroit. Great job, Mitch. Problem is, there are still WAY too many three and outs. There are still way too many bad quarters, halves and even games. Going into last week he had 5 touchdowns on the year. Five, in 2019's NFL. That shouldn't be happening in year 3, period. Should he be Mahomes or Watson? I guess not, but should he be not horrible? Yes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

So history doesn’t matter?  Interesting...  

46 minutes ago, playthrough2001 said:

So history doesn’t matter?  Interesting...  

The game changes and the farther back in time we go, the less relevant the past becomes to the current state of the game.

In this specific case what I'll say is that QBs tend to have an earlier impact and a faster development curve in today's NFL because the rules favor passing and QBs practice the passing game far more at the lower levels. 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:43 PM, abstract_thought said:

The game changes and the farther back in time we go, the less relevant the past becomes to the current state of the game.

In this specific case what I'll say is that QBs tend to have an earlier impact and a faster development curve in today's NFL because the rules favor passing and QBs practice the passing game far more at the lower levels. 

The game is less violent and defenses are definitely not allowed as many liberties as in the past.  However, what hasn’t changed is players and especially QBs develop at different rates.  It’s always been that way and is still true today.  Mahomes and Watson hit the ground running.  Mitch, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Goff, Allen, Winston and Wentz are struggling to find success or even consistent mediocrity.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playthrough2001 said:

The game is less violent and defenses are definitely not allowed as many liberties as in the past.  However, what hasn’t changed is players and especially QBs develop at different rates.  It’s always been that way and is still true today.  Mahomes and Watson hit the ground running.  Mitch, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Goff, Allen, Winston and Wentz are struggling to find success or even consistent mediocrity.  

Great post. Having Bill O'Brien incorporate Watson's collegiate offense certainly helped his comfort level as well. Mahomes is an outlier in every sense of the word, but Andy Reid will tell you that his year learning from Alex Smith's practice habits and game prep was invaluable. The rest of that team has been running Reid's scheme for 5 years before Mahomes took over. Not taking a damn thing away from that kid, but let's look at the situations and address them for what they are.

12 hours ago, playthrough2001 said:

Keeping in mind that Mitch is statistically at the bottom of that group, I’ll just say that the QBs on that list are considered disappointments. Winston is set to be replaced. Goff is making LA regret giving him a contract extension. Rosen has already played his way out of 2 franchises.