AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Most of the Titans fanbase has put that one game week 2 against us as the reason why you guys win the division and view your team as superior to us.

As we saw last night, it takes one half of football where one side of the football to due largely nothing/have short drive causing the defense to be on the field way too much and get gassed causing a 2nd half meltdown for the defense.

Guess I'm annoyed that one half of football in which our defense was gassed due to continuous 3 and outs from the offense causes a large amount of an opposing fanbase to puff their chests out and act like that'll be the norm the rest of the way.

This is silly though. Because Jaguars fans have been just as confident that they'll win the division after the Watson injury. Hell, all we have to do is look around this thread for massive amounts of evidence of this. It's not as though Titans fans have been ridiculously confident either (seriously, venture over there after virtually any game over the last month, we're miserable), both Jags and Titans fans were saying virtually the exact same things after Houston imploded.

When two teams have the same record, it makes sense that the fanbase of the team that won the head-to-head fairly convincingly (yes, close game at halftime, but at no point in that game did Jacksonville look like the better team) would look towards that game as a reason for optimism when there's a real possibility that the division will be decided by the second head-to-head matchup. Beyond that, it's just conversation between Titans fans. I don't even think I've seen much talk of us being definitively better than the Jags in Titania, just that if it comes to it, there's worse things than it coming down to a home game in Week 17 with the division on the line (which, yeah, there's far worse things).

Frankly, it also makes sense for Titans fans to point to that game for other reasons. We've played two complete halves of football all season (second half against Seattle being the other), when we want to talk about what the Titans are capable of when things are clicking, reflecting on a great performance against a good team has to be understandable. As Jacksonville has looked better throughout the season, it's become more of a game to look back on what worked and why we had success. There's a reason we didn't spend nearly as much time talking about the TNF massacre last season after the game ended, it's because the Jags were just the Jags and it wasn't a big deal. If anything, the fact that two months later we're still pointing to that as arguably our best all-around performance of the season should speak positively to what the Jags have done since that game.

But whatever, I'm still too down about last night to pretend like I'm optimistic about the division. Still think we both make the playoffs anyways and in that case, Week 17 is almost meaningless. Especially if you're the No. 4 seed and the Titans are the No. 5 or vice versa. It's not like either team has an electric home-field advantage anyways lol.

On 11/17/2017 at 2:16 PM, .Buzz said:

Most of the Titans fanbase has put that one game week 2 against us as the reason why you guys win the division and view your team as superior to us.

As we saw last night, it takes one half of football where one side of the football to due largely nothing/have short drives causing the defense to be on the field way too much and get gassed causing a 2nd half meltdown for the defense.

Guess I'm annoyed that one half of football in which our defense was gassed due to continuous 3 and outs from the offense causes a large amount of an opposing fanbase to puff their chests out and act like that'll be the norm the rest of the way.

Lots of Titan fans still sipping that koolaid from week 2, as if it will somehow matter in week 17. They point to that game, and stick fingers into their ears when Houston or Pittsburgh are brought up. Squeaking out a win vs the Browns.

I think our teams are pretty closely matched up, y'all have a superior defensive line. In the end, which QB steps up is what will determine which team takes the division.

• Like 1

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

Lots of Titan fans still sipping that koolaid from week 2, as if it will somehow matter in week 17. They point to that game, and stick fingers into their ears when Houston or Pittsburgh are brought up. Squeaking out a win vs the Browns.

I think our teams are pretty closely matched up, y'all have a superior defensive line. In the end, which QB steps up is what will determine which team takes the division.

Agreed.

Think we both make it either way. Like I said prior, just prefer to finally be the AFC South champs. But after last year its hard to complain either way.

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

The only team I don’t want to face in the playoffs besides the Pats (even though I think we could hold our own against them) is the Titans. 

FOX is showing the Titans/Colts game in the Jax area on Sunday so I’ll definitely be watching when I get home from work. 

8 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The only team I don’t want to face in the playoffs besides the Pats (even though I think we could hold our own against them) is the Titans. 

FOX is showing the Titans/Colts game in the Jax area on Sunday so I’ll definitely be watching when I get home from work. 

Titans definitely aren't a great matchup. I'd like to think the improved play from the interior change some things but who knows.

11 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I know we dunked on them first time around...but the Steelers still scare me.  Especially because we embarrassed them so badly the first time.  They're not the sort of team i'd imagine is keen on letting that happen again.  It'll be a war if we end up there somehow.