Jump to content
.Buzz

AFC South Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You think? I think the division is less of a laughingstock this year as opposed to last. Houston and Indy are WAY better. Tennessee is about the same and we are worse but we are better than Houston and Indy were last year. Divisional games this year are a lot more fun to watch as a whole

I certainly do think so.  It's a much tighter race among multiple teams this year...but none of the competitors are really going to scare anyone outside the division i don't think.  The AFC South seed is going to be the one a lot of teams probably want to match up with this year.  Whereas last year, i think the Jaguars at least kinda scared some teams with the way the defense was playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Colts win.

Glad to see them make it over Tennessee. They'll make the playoffs interesting at least...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gn Houston...

Crazy to think we shutout Luck and the Colts just a few weeks back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2019 at 5:38 PM, .Buzz said:

Gn Houston...

Crazy to think we shutout Luck and the Colts just a few weeks back. 

More like, it's crazy how bad this division is.  None of the teams are seriously any good this year.

 

Missed opportunity, where our defense was clearly still capable of fielding championship caliber efforts.  Our offense was just completely worthless in a prime "window" year...where the division continued to be mostly ripe for the picking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

More like, it's crazy how bad this division is.  None of the teams are seriously any good this year.

 

Missed opportunity, where our defense was clearly still capable of fielding championship caliber efforts.  Our offense was just completely worthless in a prime "window" year...where the division continued to be mostly ripe for the picking.

I really dont think our division is that bad. Houston is still pretty good, Indy is on the rise and Tennessee is basically us except with a better running game, OL and weapons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I really dont think our division is that bad. Houston is still pretty good, Indy is on the rise and Tennessee is basically us except with a better running game, OL and weapons

Being, "basically us", is pretty bad though.  xD  This Jaguars team was very bad.  Yet still...neither this Jaguars team, nor the Titans appears to be that far out of striking distance from the Texans or Colts (who as mentioned, we just shut out not too long ago).

Which is where i still see pretty much this whole division as a big slapfight between mostly bad (or at least wildly inconsistent) teams.  There's no powerhouse in this division.  That divisional title and the free playoff seed is just sitting there, waiting to be taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tugboat said:

More like, it's crazy how bad this division is.  None of the teams are seriously any good this year.

 

Missed opportunity, where our defense was clearly still capable of fielding championship caliber efforts.  Our offense was just completely worthless in a prime "window" year...where the division continued to be mostly ripe for the picking.

Colts aren't good?

Texans went on what, a 9 game win streak?

We may not have an elite team but there really wasn't many this year. Division was better than a lot of other ones for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Colts aren't good?

Texans went on what, a 9 game win streak?

We may not have an elite team but there really wasn't many this year. Division was better than a lot of other ones for sure.

If i were asked to pick a path of least resistance division to make the playoffs in retrospectively, i'm pretty sure i'd chose the AFC South this year.  The NFC North maybe gives it a run for the money, but would depend on when exactly you're hitting rivals.  Later season, the Browns with Baker and the Ravens going all run all the time looked dangerous, and the Steelers are never a walkover.  Even the NFC East with major QB injuries is probably a tougher route to a divisional playoff seed than the AFC South.

 

That whole Texans "win streak" was almost entirely just picking up Ws in our own trash division, and beating up on a few of the runts and bottom-feeders of the rest of the league.  The Cowboys was the only real win in the streak against a good team.  Ain't impress me much.

The Colts can be dangerous at times because of Luck mostly, but again...like you said...we just shut those guys out a few weeks ago, and they've been in all sorts of dogfights with the other bad teams of this division.  The fact that we as a terrible horrible team were so evidently within striking distance...that's a sign those teams are also not very good.

 

This division was super winnable with even slightly competent offense.  They squandered the heck out of that opportunity.

Frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

If i were asked to pick a path of least resistance division to make the playoffs in retrospectively, i'm pretty sure i'd chose the AFC South this year.  The NFC North maybe gives it a run for the money, but would depend on when exactly you're hitting rivals.  Later season, the Browns with Baker and the Ravens going all run all the time looked dangerous, and the Steelers are never a walkover.  Even the NFC East with major QB injuries is probably a tougher route to a divisional playoff seed than the AFC South.

 

That whole Texans "win streak" was almost entirely just picking up Ws in our own trash division, and beating up on a few of the runts and bottom-feeders of the rest of the league.  The Cowboys was the only real win in the streak against a good team.  Ain't impress me much.

The Colts can be dangerous at times because of Luck mostly, but again...like you said...we just shut those guys out a few weeks ago, and they've been in all sorts of dogfights with the other bad teams of this division.  The fact that we as a terrible horrible team were so evidently within striking distance...that's a sign those teams are also not very good.

 

This division was super winnable with even slightly competent offense.  They squandered the heck out of that opportunity.

Frustrating.

NFC East? NFC South has the Saints and little else. NFC North was atrocious except for Bears as you linked to. AFC East has the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins, two of which are picking in the top 10 and the other just cutting their QB and firing their coach after an underwhelming season.

Colts have been great after that poor start. Texans are an above average team. Titans are super meh but they hover around .500 consistently every year and although aren't good, are better than probably a solid 12-15 teams too.

We're bad, obviously, but even we won 5 and lost 5 by less than 5 points with our atrocious situation.

Our division isn't good, but I'm not sure I'm putting any of those other divisions as superior unless you're just looking at the top team in each and only that, and even then some of those teams may not be better than how the Colts are playing imo. That defense is humming and Luck has improved drastically with taking care of the ball which has been his main blemish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

NFC East? NFC South has the Saints and little else. NFC North was atrocious except for Bears as you linked to. AFC East has the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins, two of which are picking in the top 10 and the other just cutting their QB and firing their coach after an underwhelming season.

Colts have been great after that poor start. Texans are an above average team. Titans are super meh but they hover around .500 consistently every year and although aren't good, are better than probably a solid 12-15 teams too.

We're bad, obviously, but even we won 5 and lost 5 by less than 5 points with our atrocious situation.

Our division isn't good, but I'm not sure I'm putting any of those other divisions as superior unless you're just looking at the top team in each and only that, and even then some of those teams may not be better than how the Colts are playing imo. That defense is humming and Luck has improved drastically with taking care of the ball which has been his main blemish.

*AFC North, not NFC North.  Sorry.  Typographical error.  Thought that might've been clean from the Baker and Lamar comment anyway, but apparently not.

The NFC North between the Bears and Vikings has at least a pair of teams better than anything in the AFC South this year, and the Packers are kind of a wildcard because they really should've been better they were.  I wouldn't have wanted to take that route to a divisional seed this year.

 

The AFC East having some crud at the bottom doesn't make it an easier division.  It's just one with a clear year after year champion that consistently beats the rest into oblivion.  Gun to your head, do or die...would you honestly choose to got toe-to-toe with the Patriots for that division seed that they've won like 16 of the last 18 seasons or whatever it is?  And haven't lost in like a decade?

 

You don't define the strength of a division by it's losers...you define it by the strength of the winners.  Where ours sucked this year, with very little distance to the bottom-end of our division (Jaguars, the very bad team) to the top.  And divisions with teams like the Patriots who are perennial champions and playoff threats, or the Saints this year...they're not divisions i'd want to go through.

 

If you just want to make sure you don't finish last in a division, i probably wouldn't pick the AFC South.  But that's about all it's good for, unless Luck throws the team on his back and goes on a run somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Being, "basically us", is pretty bad though.  xD  This Jaguars team was very bad.  Yet still...neither this Jaguars team, nor the Titans appears to be that far out of striking distance from the Texans or Colts (who as mentioned, we just shut out not too long ago).

Which is where i still see pretty much this whole division as a big slapfight between mostly bad (or at least wildly inconsistent) teams.  There's no powerhouse in this division.  That divisional title and the free playoff seed is just sitting there, waiting to be taken.

Yes basically us is bad but you add in the "they are better than us at x y z" it makes them decent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We still going with Colts are good?  And the Texans they beat are good too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

We still going with Colts are good?  And the Texans they beat are good too?

The Colts are still good and the Texans are too. The lost to a better team in Arrowhead, plain and simple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×