AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

We still going with Colts are good?  And the Texans they beat are good too?

😂

Come on man...they supposed to make the SB or they're trash or?

Colts have a young new coaching staff. If you don't think they're well on their way to being a legit SB contender I think you're in for a surprise.

Texans aren't at that level currently, but they're still a "good team". They're going to probably win 9-11 games a year barring something crazy. Watson is young and this was his first playoff game, let's give him a little time. When you have a top 10'ish QB you're going to have a shot unless the rest of the team is dead awful.

Edited by .Buzz

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The Colts are still good and the Texans are too. The lost to a better team in Arrowhead, plain and simple

I wouldn't say they just "lost" though.  It didn't even seem close really.

Still think this is a weakling division full of entirely beatable teams right now.  It's not good.  No "good" team that matters is particularly afraid of anyone in this division this year.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

😂

Come on man...they supposed to make the SB or they're trash or?

Colts have a young new coaching staff. If you don't think they're well on their way to being a legit SB contender I think you're in for a surprise.

Texans aren't at that level currently, but they're still a "good team". They're going to probably win 9-11 games a year barring something crazy. Watson is young and this was his first playoff game, let's give him a little time. When you have a top 10'ish QB you're going to have a shot unless the rest of the team is dead awful.

Different standards for what an actually "good" team looks like i guess.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So what teams are considered good then?

KC, NE, NO, and LAR?

I think you can expand a bit beyond that.  Just losing before the conference championships doesn't make a team bad per se.  Matter of how they get there, how solid they looked doing it, and who they beat to get there.

Like i'd say it's pretty easy to call the Bears, Chargers, and even the Cowboys and Eagles good teams this year too, all things considered.  Some other teams were good for stretches of play.

If our only real standard for a "good team" is like..."they've got a pretty good QB" and might be able to win some big games because of it...i'd think we can name half the league "good teams".  That's a bad measuring stick imo.

Edited by Tugboat

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think you can expand a bit beyond that.  Just losing before the conference championships doesn't make a team bad per se.  Matter of how they get there, how solid they looked doing it, and who they beat to get there.

Like i'd say it's pretty easy to call the Bears, Chargers, and even the Cowboys and Eagles good teams this year too, all things considered.  Some other teams were good for stretches of play.

If our only real standard for a "good team" is like..."they've got a pretty good QB" and might be able to win some big games because of it...i'd think we can name half the league "good teams".  That's a bad measuring stick imo.

Colts defense performed very well with limited talent and has a top end QB. Not to mention Mack came on strong. Their OL is also stacked.

Texans have some older people on D but Watt is still a stud, Mercilus/Clowney/McKinley/Matheiu etc. on D. Hopkins is a top 3 WR to go with that top 10 QB. Dallas has a great OL and Rock solid D, but Dak is super limited. Not sure how Dallas is good and it's crazy to put Houston in that tier.

Edited by .Buzz

45 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Colts defense performed very well with limited talent and has a top end QB. Not to mention Mack came on strong. Their OL is also stacked.

Texans have some older people on D but Watt is still a stud, Mercilus/Clowney/McKinley/Matheiu etc. on D. Hopkins is a top 3 WR to go with that top 10 QB. Dallas has a great OL and Rock solid D, but Dak is super limited. Not sure how Dallas is good and it's crazy to put Houston in that tier.

I think you're kinda arguing "talented roster" vs what i'd call "good team".  Have to look at the whole team, how it all comes together...not just pick out a few good players here and there.  You certainly need a good QB (or at least a QB playing at a high level) to be a truly good team.  But a good team is still more than just a handful of good players.

ex//2018 Jaguars: actually fairly talented roster overall, but totally unbalanced in that talent between off/def, missing linchpin pieces, and lacking cohesive plan to make any use of talent = Actually Very Bad Team.

I'd consider a team like Dallas good this year, because for the most part (slow start aside)...they had a very coherent plan of attack and managed to execute it pretty regularly, even against good competition.  Hard to ever totally count out of many matchups, and building in the right direction over the year.  Even if Texans almost certainly have the better "top end name talent" to list off.

A team like the Texans may have the bigtime splash potential on account of those "big name" top-end talents and can win convincingly, but it's all so hit-or miss.  Not convincing overall.  Teams like that can be total "paper tigers".

I think Dak being "super limited" is at least partly a facet of him not often being asked to play beyond his limits.  Which to me, is a sign of a good team...that can afford not to ask their QB to pull rabbits out of hats.

But i mean, if Dak is "super limited" and drags a team down to not good enough to trump the Texans because Watson...whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the Jaguars are gonna be bad for a long time.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 16/10/2019 at 4:01 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Finally! Maybe we can be done with this argument that Mariota is any good at all

People behind the "Mariota is Good" movement, are idiots anyway.

Literal Ryan Tannehill...the guy we should've acquired in the offseason...is leading them near the super bowl.  Meanwhile in Jacksonville...

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

People behind the "Mariota is Good" movement, are idiots anyway.

Literal Ryan Tannehill...the guy we should've acquired in the offseason...is leading them near the super bowl.  Meanwhile in Jacksonville...

Hindsight is 20:20 he has been mediocre at best with the exception of maybe 1 above average year

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

Not really hindsight.  Think about 1) the salary/contract and 2) at worse we would have a compotent backup qb that could push a starter

Why didn't any other teams go after him?

I don't think many people could have saw what he did coming. If you wanted a QB to likely put you in purgatory than sure, but that's all he's shown largely with Miami. 

Once the Titans had to throw in that last game Tanny looked awful/out of his league. Henry went on a historic streak to get them past NE and BAL.