AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But also, as much as it sounds like a freak, non-contact injury in practice and yadda yadda.  This is part of why i'm afraid of running QBs.  Especially smaller-ish ones.  Crap always seems to happen.  I'll be curious to see how Watson looks coming back from that injury, if he's still flashing as much "star potential".  :/

I mean Teddy isn’t exactly a running QB and he dislocated his knee on a drop back. 

Just now, .Buzz said:

Titans fans thing they have it wrapped up because of Week 2.

I was actually just talking to @-Hope- and his response was: lol titans and jags fans out here like “u take the division” “no u take the division”.

I think a lot of Titans fans are expecting them to blow the division, much like we are.

Just now, iPwn said:

I was actually just talking to @-Hope- and his response was: lol titans and jags fans out here like “u take the division” “no u take the division”.

I think a lot of Titans fans are expecting them to blow the division, much like we are.

Sure didn't look that way in their AFC South Discussion Thread after Watson went down.

Maybe that's just a select few I guess. But most don't seem to think of us as a serious threat because of Week 2.

8 hours ago, iPwn said:

I mean Teddy isn’t exactly a running QB and he dislocated his knee on a drop back. 

8 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah, Teddy has in-pocket mobility but isn't really a running QB.

If anything, he has a poor frame for the position, but his injury was 100% a freak injury sort of thing.

Yeah.  It can happen to anyone.  Just seems more liable to happen to guys who are running around all the time, and/or guys with less robust builds.

And i worry more about the impact of a knee injury like that with a guy whose game is predicated more heavily on running, because you never really know if they're going to have that same mobility afterwards.  Same reason i'd be wary of giving someone like ARob the same sort of big dollar long-term extension that i would've been comfortable with prior to his knee injury.  Without at least seeing how he bounces back first.  Running and mobility are core to ARob's game obviously, same as a running QB.

Whereas someone like Teddy with more functional "in the pocket" mobility...as long as it's repaired, stable, and he can get comfortable enough to continue shuffling around the pocket, i'm not as worried about the overall long-term impact on his game.  Basically a, "can't really lose what you weren't even using in the first place" sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It can happen to anyone.  Just seems more liable to happen to guys who are running around all the time, and/or guys with less robust builds.

And i worry more about the impact of a knee injury like that with a guy whose game is predicated more heavily on running, because you never really know if they're going to have that same mobility afterwards.  Same reason i'd be wary of giving someone like ARob the same sort of big dollar long-term extension that i would've been comfortable with prior to his knee injury.  Without at least seeing how he bounces back first.  Running and mobility are core to ARob's game obviously, same as a running QB.

Whereas someone like Teddy with more functional "in the pocket" mobility...as long as it's repaired, stable, and he can get comfortable enough to continue shuffling around the pocket, i'm not as worried about the overall long-term impact on his game.  Basically a, "can't really lose what you weren't even using in the first place" sort of thing.

Usually QBs with significant leg injuries take anywhere from half a season to a season and a half to regain form (if they ever do). Usually when a QB has a significant leg injury, it affects their mechanics when they return because the muscle memory isn't the same and/or they are a bit timid in their dropback. Recent examples include Aaron Rodgers (he was still good, but wasn't A-Rod level for about a full season) and both Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota (they've rebounded better than anticipated, but they've both had bouts this year with regaining form).

4 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Usually QBs with significant leg injuries take anywhere from half a season to a season and a half to regain form (if they ever do). Usually when a QB has a significant leg injury, it affects their mechanics when they return because the muscle memory isn't the same and/or they are a bit timid in their dropback. Recent examples include Aaron Rodgers (he was still good, but wasn't A-Rod level for about a full season) and both Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota (they've rebounded better than anticipated, but they've both had bouts this year with regaining form).

Obviously its detrimental for any QB to have a major, season-ending sort of leg/knee injury like that.  It takes time to get back, as with most positions.

But it often seems to be the difference between "half a season to a season and a half to regain form", and "they were never the same".  The latter, sadly often seems applicable to QBs who rely a lot on their legs as a threat.