AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The only thing I take offense to is the BBQ comment. Memphis style bbq is king.

Yeah, not sure where he was going with that. Tbf though he said what the national media sees. Wouldn't shock me if a lot of people thought that.

I seriously don't get why they did the "For the Boys" mantra though, that thing has been a Barstool thing for a long time now. Even if it has good meaning (assume it does), be original at least.

Edited by .Buzz

Just now, .Buzz said:

Yeah, not sure where he was going with that. Tbf though he said what the national media sees. Wouldn't shock me if a lot of people thought that.

I seriously don't get why they did the "For the Boys" mantra though, that thing has been a Barstool thing for a long time now. 

I don't think it will ever matter how good Tennessee is. Even during the "prime Fisher" years from 99-03 we didn't really get attention. In 08 when we went 13-3 no one cared then either. I mean everyone knew the Titans were good, but no one in the media really cared.

I think it's just part of being in Tennessee.

I also don't understand why anyone in Tennessee wants the media to care. Most media pundits are foolish. Places like ESPN just employ a bunch of people who make controversial comments just to get clicks and views. I've moved far more to following play break down/analytics people on twitter because of that. I enjoy the NFL Matchup twitter page(the fact that ESPN sticks NFL Matchup at like 5am on Saturday is a crying shame and just goes to show how poorly they view actual intelligent football discussion) and the break downs they offer, Brian Baldinger breaks down plays for all sorts of teams, there's a few Titans-dedicated twitter accounts that break down plays, etc. You can actually learn things from those pages. Don't learn much of anything listening to most of the national media.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

I don't think it will ever matter how good Tennessee is. Even during the "prime Fisher" years from 99-03 we didn't really get attention. In 08 when we went 13-3 no one cared then either. I mean everyone knew the Titans were good, but no one in the media really cared.

I think it's just part of being in Tennessee.

I also don't understand why anyone in Tennessee wants the media to care. Most media pundits are foolish. Places like ESPN just employ a bunch of people who make controversial comments just to get clicks and views. I've moved far more to following play break down/analytics people on twitter because of that. I enjoy the NFL Matchup twitter page(the fact that ESPN sticks NFL Matchup at like 5am on Saturday is a crying shame and just goes to show how poorly they view actual intelligent football discussion) and the break downs they offer, Brian Baldinger breaks down plays for all sorts of teams, there's a few Titans-dedicated twitter accounts that break down plays, etc. You can actually learn things from those pages. Don't learn much of anything listening to most of the national media.

Ehh, with how social media is things are different. We were the same way, we had guys like Jimmy Smith, Fred Taylor, etc. who are HOF level players but people barely even know them who are casual fans. Was in my early years of following this team but I don't remember anyone ever talking about us. We're in Jacksonville, one of the smallest markets in the NFL, and we are starting to get more media attention by winning and making it far in the playoffs last year.

If you win/go far, you'll get attention. Can be good or bad.

Aggressiveness (AGG%)
Aggressiveness tracks the amount of passing attempts a quarterback makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts.

uixEynJ.png

Average Completed Air Yards (CAY) and Average Intended Air Yards (IAY)
Air Yards is the vertical yards on a pass attempt at the moment the ball is caught in relation to the line of scrimmage. CAY shows the average Air Yards a passer throws on completions, and IAY shows the average Air Yards a passer throws on all attempts. This metric shows how far the ball is being thrown ‘downfield’. Air Yards is recorded as a negative value when the pass is behind the Line of Scrimmage. Additionally Air Yards is calculated into the back of the end zone to better evaluate the true depth of the pass.

zSvjtBE.png

"Blake only throws easy throws and that's why Mariota has worse stats"

giphy.gif

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I get some of the crap Blake gets but to say that Mariota is good or clearly better is just not true 

Dude, you just gotta give Mariota every excuse in existence and you’ll see he’s better.

Last year, it wasn’t Mariota’s fault, it was bad coaching running an outdated scheme that made it so he never had open receivers. But the only starters in the entire NFL who threw to more open receivers last year were Goff, Flacco and Alex Smith.

Now this year they’re blaming his bad play on drops when 11 other teams have as many or more as the Titans (including Gabbert throws).

Their secondary excuse for this year is that Lewan is hurt, so he doesn’t have enough time in the pocket, but he gets more time than Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Eli Manning, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Ryan Tannehill, Andy Dalton, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Mitchell Trubisky, C.J. Beathard, Drew Brees, Sam Bradford, AND Blaine Gabbert. He uses 6 hundredths of a second less than Blake. 

But Blake is bad because he throws crossers and has open receivers on 79.1% of his throws, good for third worst in the NFL this year. 

On 08/10/2018 at 6:56 PM, pwny said:

uixEynJ.png

zSvjtBE.png

"Blake only throws easy throws and that's why Mariota has worse stats"

giphy.gif

I wish Blake knew how to make easy throws tbh.

Really though, Bortles stats are only better because he knows how to fling it aimlessly down the field and hope for the best.

• 1 month later...

AFC South is definitely back to being the laughingstock division.  There's a kinda tense battle to climb to the top of the trash heap for that divisional seed...but i can't see anyone from this division winning a playoff game against anyone outside of the division.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 2:24 AM, Tugboat said:

AFC South is definitely back to being the laughingstock division.  There's a kinda tense battle to climb to the top of the trash heap for that divisional seed...but i can't see anyone from this division winning a playoff game against anyone outside of the division.

You think? I think the division is less of a laughingstock this year as opposed to last. Houston and Indy are WAY better. Tennessee is about the same and we are worse but we are better than Houston and Indy were last year. Divisional games this year are a lot more fun to watch as a whole