AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Probably best case scenario for them truly too.

I don't like Wentz, but Darnold/QB where they're picking are much worse options.

If any of the possible landing destinations can rehab Wentz back to where he was in 2017 and 2018, a pairing with Frank Reich was probably at the top of the list.

And if he can be there, that’s a huge problem for us. Even 2019 Wentz makes that team really good.

• Like 1

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

I've said it before, and no one is gonna like this, but: I think Trevor is veeeery similar to Wentz as a prospect, just more polished. 

I don't disagree as far as physical tools, but Lawrence wipes the floor as far as mental/intangibles side from what we just witnessed this past year.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

If any of the possible landing destinations can rehab Wentz back to where he was in 2017 and 2018, a pairing with Frank Reich was probably at the top of the list.

And if he can be there, that’s a huge problem for us. Even 2019 Wentz makes that team really good.

That team is good with just am average guy back there. Luckily that's what he's largely been outside of one year (with an injury bug/issues).

Just now, .Buzz said:

I don't disagree as far as physical tools, but Lawrence wipes the floor as far as mental/intangibles side from what we just witnessed this past year.

Like I said, my comparison is more based on how they both looked as prospects.

I don't really have any explanation as to how Wentz ended up as mentally broken as he was this past season. Don't think I've ever seen anything like it. As a fan of the player, I do hope he can turn it around. 

1 minute ago, Jaguarfan said:

Like I said, my comparison is more based on how they both looked as prospects.

I don't really have any explanation as to how Wentz ended up as mentally broken as he was this past season. Don't think I've ever seen anything like it. As a fan of the player, I do hope he can turn it around. 

All I'm saying is it's hard to get out of that pit and statistically, outside of that one great year, he's just been solid or injured.

I think this is the best landing spot for him and if someone can get him back to where he was Reich would. I'm just not a huge fan.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That team is good with just am average guy back there. Luckily that's what he's largely been outside of one year (with an injury bug/issues).

crvrwCg.jpg

I think he’s been better than average the majority of the time. 2019 was the closest to average, and [while passer rating isn’t the end all, be all] he was still just one slot behind Aaron Rodgers in Passer Rating and above 16 in most efficiency stats; it was kinda the upper end of an average season imo. In 2018, he was 7th in passer rating and 12th in ANY/A, and his efficiency ratings were largely in line with his 2017 season where he was the presumed MVP if he didn’t get hurt.

Ignoring his rookie year, he’s had a year where he’d have been MVP, a year where he was top 10, an upper-average year, and a disaster year when his team fell apart amid a pandemic. He’s definitely trending the wrong way, but if he can get back to even the average of 2017-2019, he’s a top ten QB when healthy. They’re a team that could win 13 games with that type of QB play. 

5 hours ago, pwny said:

Yeah.  I'm not the biggest Wentz believer, and his game and mentality looks to have fallen into a pretty deep hole in Philly this last while.  But he's going to a situation that has all of the pieces in place to support him and rehabilitate his game.  And that could well be a thorn in the side for us, because that Colts team right now at least, can be pretty good with even just decent, competent quarterbacking.

With the Titans already in the mix, a Colts team with even a decent facsimile of previous Wentz is going to make this far from a cakewalk division, for as long as those teams can hold onto (and have still in their prime) most of their surrounding talent.

19 hours ago, pwny said:

Wentz to the Colts. For a reasonable price too. 

They have the cap space to add some talent at wr too.  I think this is going to make it really difficult for us to do better than 3rd in the division next season. Was really hoping they'd have to settle on Brisket.  Oh well....if Watson doesn't get traded the south is going to be absolutely stacked at qb....could potentially have 4 top 15 qbs.

-charles

On 2/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, Tugboat said:

Kinda sounds like a timely annual reminder for teams to, “do your homework” on the person, not just the player. 

ie. The part of the process that we as fans and armchair draft nerds have basically no access to. 

Yea it makes you wonder when certain players fall and we're just so shocked and pissed our team(s) let it happen if something like this has to do with it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...