AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

• 1 month later...

Can’t say I’m a fan of this obviously. Would rather have been the team on the receiving end of this deal.

I would have shipped Shenault and a pick personally for Jones and given our cap situation we could afford it. Would have given the Falcons an immediate fill in for Jones as well on a rookie contract.

10 minutes ago, skaterbirdhouse said:

Can’t say I’m a fan of this obviously. Would rather have been the team on the receiving end of this deal.

I would have shipped Shenault and a pick personally for Jones and given our cap situation we could afford it. Would have given the Falcons an immediate fill in for Jones as well on a rookie contract.

I just don’t see the point in trading for a guy that likely doesn’t want to play for us and wasting his last years of productivity in rebuilding years. 
With Urban’s philosophy of wanting to supposedly win now, I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that we inquired about him, but it just doesn’t really make sense to me. I’m never opposed to bringing in a talent of his level, but we just weren’t the logical fit for what he’s trying to do at this point in his career 

• Like 1

Definitely less than ideal. Makes me even more happy we focused on the secondary. 

I guess at least he's 32 now and has had some injury issues as of late. Still a fantastic player but father time is coming. We probably don't start legit competing until next year or 2023 anyways.

9 hours ago, JiffyJag said:

I just don’t see the point in trading for a guy that likely doesn’t want to play for us and wasting his last years of productivity in rebuilding years. 
With Urban’s philosophy of wanting to supposedly win now, I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that we inquired about him, but it just doesn’t really make sense to me. I’m never opposed to bringing in a talent of his level, but we just weren’t the logical fit for what he’s trying to do at this point in his career 

Yeah. Like, I would’ve loved for them to add Julio to this team. But in reality, it was a non-starter. There’s no point trading for a guy who doesn’t want to be here...when he was dealt in the first place, largely because he’d just forced his way out of a similarly undesirable situation.

The guy wants to be with a contending team for a shot at winning. That’s not Atlanta right now, and it’s not here either. Not with a totally unproven rookie QB, totally unproven rookie head coach, and a trash bin defense. 

Just sucks that he landed in our division, on an offense we’re already going to be completely overmatched by, and unable to contain. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It sounds crazy, but I don't think I would trade Shenault for Jones, even straight up.  Sure, Jones is great, and is the better player right now, but how long will that last?  Laviska will be a good player for many years, while Jones probably has a shelf life of only 2-3 years before declining.

At most I would have traded chark for Julio.  Maybe a conditional pick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...