When should Drew Lock start games this year?

Broncofan

When do you think Lock should be starting games this year?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Lock should be (not will be) starting games for DEN on...

• Week 11-12 @ BUF / @vMIN - might as well find out ASAP and get as many games in
    • Week 13-14 - vs. LAC / @ HOU - get him 2-4 weeks practice, and easier matchups (home game, no Watt)
    • Week 15-16 - @ KC / vs. DET - 2-3 games is enough to see what we have
    • Week 17 vs. OAK - the Mahomes model (but KC was fighting for a playoff spot, dudes...)
    • Not until 2020 (give your reasons if you choose this PLZ)!

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Flacco is what he is Troy pointing out how inept the offense is happens to him being mindful of the present moment/state of the Broncos he didn't sugar coat it which I appreciate. Still loved the Flacco trade and I've explained why on page one.

Mark is doing the total opposite he's using one of the logical fallacies to say you can't prove me wrong so I'm right. He's putting some elaborate slippery slope puzzle together because of the state of the team and excluding everything John Elway has ever done as gm. He's a Colin Cowherd protege who hedges his bets stink also liked the Lock pick and 2019 draft so what do you think will happen if/when Lock plays well???

Elway will sink or swim by what happens offensively with Drew at the helm after the bye week. I have disdain for Stink since he joined FS1.

You can not like Mark all you want.  Doesn’t mean he’s wrong.  

Everything Elway has done since the SB has been an obvious attempt at continuing to compete.   So if he couldn’t bring himself to embrace a rebuild during the Siemian and Lynch years what makes you think he can fix things going forward?

Elway is responsible for the bad drafting

Elway is responsible for the VJ hire. 

I like Vic a lot so maybe he got that one right but  Mark isn’t wrong about Elway.  I don’t have faith in Elway turning this around, barring Lock being the next Drew Brees, which doesn’t sound like that has a chance in hell of happening 

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Flacco is what he is Troy pointing out how inept the offense is happens to him being mindful of the present moment/state of the Broncos he didn't sugar coat it which I appreciate. Still loved the Flacco trade and I've explained why on page one.

Mark is doing the total opposite he's using one of the logical fallacies to say you can't prove me wrong so I'm right. He's putting some elaborate slippery slope puzzle together because of the state of the team and excluding everything John Elway has ever done as gm. He's a Colin Cowherd protege who hedges his bets stink also liked the Lock pick and 2019 draft so what do you think will happen if/when Lock plays well???

Elway will sink or swim by what happens offensively with Drew at the helm after the bye week.

But that still doesn’t mean he is wrong.  Obviously he didn’t get into every pick or success or failure, but just looking at the state of this team Elway has failed post Peyton Manning....

We can get into good picks/bad picks, good FA signings and bad ones, good trades/bad trades, but no one can argue this team has gotten worse and worse since Manning retired in 2015.  It’s literally a fact, just look at Denver’s record with Manning and post Manning. 

Edited by germ-x

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

You can not like Mark all you want.  Doesn’t mean he’s wrong.  

Everything Elway has done since the SB has been an obvious attempt at continuing to compete.   So if he couldn’t bring himself to embrace a rebuild during the Siemian and Lynch years what makes you think he can fix things going forward?

Elway is responsible for the bad drafting

Elway is responsible for the VJ hire. 

I like Vic a lot so maybe he got that one right but  Mark isn’t wrong about Elway.  I don’t have faith in Elway turning this around, barring Lock being the next Drew Brees, which doesn’t sound like that has a chance in hell of happening 

Well I'm gonna say something a reasonable Stink would say.

Welp I guess that's why we let seasons play out and not pack it in after 8 games. If every teams story was written after 8 games than wed play playoff football now.

I'm a believer in Lock, but yes I didn't mind the Paxton pick. Let's flash back to 2016 shall we I along with a few others identified Dak as the value pick we all wanted past round 1. If he had traded for Kaepernick a 3rd round pick he doesn't trade up for Lynch saves the 3rd and settles for Dak round 2+.

This past year Flacco was equivalent to the Kaep trade Elways biggest regret not doing. And he got is legitimate guy.

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

But that still doesn’t mean he is wrong.  Obviously he didn’t get into every pick or success or failure, but just looking at the state of this team Elway has failed post Peyton Manning....

We can get into good picks/bad picks, good FA signings and bad ones, good trades/bad trades, but no one can argue this team has gotten worse and worse since Manning retired in 2015.  It’s literally a fact, just look at Denver’s record with Manning and post Manning. 

I see a turn around this season similar to what the niners were doing under Kyle Shanahan so I prefer to be more optimistic.  

I also believe in Drew Lock because Redskins are inept and Greenbay wanted him so I think we got the steal of the second round. People bash his film but they don't take the bad film with context and the fact he has all the tools to become a franchise qb.

So when Drew Lock balls out is stink going to be right bc he liked the pick?

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I see a turn around this season similar to what the niners were doing under Kyle Shanahan so I prefer to be more optimistic.  

I also believe in Drew Lock because Redskins are inept and Greenbay wanted him so I think we got the steal of the second round. People bash his film but they don't take the bad film with context and the fact he has all the tools to become a franchise qb.

Other teams wanting a player doesn’t mean squat.   Lots of teams wanted Mariota too

You can like a player and say a team for a good value doesn’t mean the GM is competent. 

Bruce Allen got Kirk Cousins In the 4th.  Is he a good GM in your mind?

6 minutes ago, germ-x said:

What teams get better after losing a legend? I mean Luck and Rodgers are not the norms tbh.

Gary Kubiak retiring also sucked as well as Elways drafting. 

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

Other teams wanting a player doesn’t mean squat.   Lots of teams wanted Mariota too

You can like a player and say a team for a good value doesn’t mean the GM is competent. 

Bruce Allen got Kirk Cousins In the 4th.  Is he a good GM in your mind?

I think Shannahan was the mastermind behind that because he didn't want rg3 you're literally grasping at straws. 

Edited by thebestever6

Just now, broncofan48 said:

You think?  And I’m the one grasping at straws? By that logic;

I THINK Rich was the one who masterminded Lock not Elway.  

Well thank God for Elway smartening up to get Rich and admit a mistake of not getting Kyle. 

Elway wanted to can VJ after year one lol it's not like he didn't know right off the bat.

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with this.  I’ve been on record numerous times that I’d have taken Lock where Denver did and the dream scenario is he works out.

I also think there have been some positives the last couple of years that can be built on.  I think the Fangio hire was terrific, don’t know how he is as an overall HC, but this defense is not all that talented anymore and is still a top 5-10 unit and that’s on Fangio.  He’s been able to maximize talent, it took a few weeks, but once figured out this has been a tough unit.

Offensively it’s been awful, but Sutton has shown to be a legitimate WR in this league and the combo of Lindsay/Freeman is more than solid.  Fant while I don’t think he’s a good “football player” if Denver gets things clicking he will be an excellent addition just based on his physical talent. 

No doubt though this team lacks talent across the board and needs a huge influx to stay relevant.  

With some of the changes Elway has made to his philosophy and an excellent coaching staff (IMO) I’m willing to give him 2 years to figure out the QB position.  By that I mean, Lock shows enough if/when he gets a chance this season to let Elway ride that out, or Elway spends a likely top 10 pick at QB and we allow him to give that a legitimate shot.  All these veteran signings need to end.  Pick a guy at QB, nut up, and live or die by it and throw the majority of your resources on the offensive side of the ball and let Fangio work his magic defensively...that’s where I’m at with Elway.

• Like 1

^^^ Elway for whatever reason has tried to bandaid the offense through out his time as GM (aside from year 1 and 2 where he inherited guys that could play and made some excellent signings)  It’s time to make a concerted effort to make it relevant with Fangio as a guy that can make a defense play above their heads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

^^^ Elway for whatever reason has tried to bandaid the offense through out his time as GM (aside from year 1 and 2 where he inherited guys that could play and made some excellent signings)  It’s time to make a concerted effort to make it relevant with Fangio as a guy that can make a defense play above their heads.

This is 100% fair I wish John was better at drafting offense overall but I loved the Latimer pick at the time even though I preferred other wrs.

Janovich, Freeman, Sutton, Fant, McGovern, Risner, Lindsay, Heuerman ( hated the pick in 2016 but the guy can block decent in line te for round 3).

Johns actually getting better on Offense where early in his tenure Julius Thomas was a good pick and not much else.

I would suggest that people go back and read AAA's post here (one that he wasn't hyper when posting) -

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/21707-chris-harris-jr-trade/?page=26&tab=comments#comment-2249643

People are blaming Elway when I hold the view that the problem is Ellis.

Elway can be stubborn, can take time to admit mistakes, did a bad job of drafting and hired VJ - there is plenty to criticise him for.

But remember - he wanted to can VJ after one season - had an agreement in place to bring back Mike Shanahan as a HC with Kubiak as OC and Shanahan had a deal in place to bring Cousins to Denver as QB - with Shanahan saying that everyone was on the same page as a plan for taking things forward - except Ellis blocked the deal - we get stuck with VJ and Kubiak (who should get more credit than he does for helping with the draft that year) goes off to the Vikes. I would love to have Kubiak here mentoring Scangs like the job he is doing in Minnesota. 

It is possible that Elway wanted Kyle S in Denver and that Ellis blocked it - just like he did with Mike - we don't know.

What we do know is that there are times Elway wants to change things and Ellis is the block on the changes. While Elway does bear responsibility - the win-now stuff is likely coming from Ellis and when it comes to looking for a head to chop, I would start at the very top and see where it takes us before going down the list.

• Like 5