When should Drew Lock start games this year?

Broncofan

When do you think Lock should be starting games this year?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Lock should be (not will be) starting games for DEN on...

• Week 11-12 @ BUF / @vMIN - might as well find out ASAP and get as many games in
    • Week 13-14 - vs. LAC / @ HOU - get him 2-4 weeks practice, and easier matchups (home game, no Watt)
    • Week 15-16 - @ KC / vs. DET - 2-3 games is enough to see what we have
    • Week 17 vs. OAK - the Mahomes model (but KC was fighting for a playoff spot, dudes...)
    • Not until 2020 (give your reasons if you choose this PLZ)!

This is no coincidence - the FO via Klis is finally acknowledging we're in a full-on rebuild.  This has never been stated in-season in 2017, 2018, or up until now. This should come as no surprise to the fanbase - but the FO's public commitment to change the message also is timed to frame Lock's announcement as the starter - and likely a call to be patient, given Lock's almost certain to struggle this year.   

Again, as much as I have concerns the flaws won't get fixed to make him viable long-term, you can't really damn Lock for struggles this year, that's to be expected.   Watch for progress in his footwork, read progression, and eyes up with pressure.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

This is no coincidence - the FO via Klis is finally acknowledging we're in a full-on rebuild.  This has never been stated in-season in 2017, 2018, or up until now. This should come as no surprise to the fanbase - but the FO's public commitment to change the message also is timed to frame Lock's announcement as the starter - and likely a call to be patient, given Lock's almost certain to struggle this year.   

Again, as much as I have concerns the flaws won't get fixed to make him viable long-term, you can't really damn Lock for struggles this year, that's to be expected.   Watch for progress in his footwork, read progression, and eyes up with pressure.

I'll take it.  Last time we embraced a rebuild, Elway drafted BPA and we built the team that went to the Superbowls.  Hopefully we can get back to that

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Let's not get too excited. The Texans defense sucks.

Lol. Just like last week, nobody is going overboard with their analysis. Not one person isn't giving measured, rational opinions about what we're seeing. So, what's the appropriate reaction that we should have? Deny that he played well and call him Rick Mirer or Jeff George a bunch of times? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Lol. Just like last week, nobody is going overboard with their analysis. Not one person isn't giving measured, rational opinions about what we're seeing. So, what's the appropriate reaction that we should have? Deny that he played well and call him Rick Mirer or Jeff George a bunch of times? 

Beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice.  Buzz buzz Buzz lightyear to the rescue. 

Edited by thebestever6

5 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

And to be fair - I still have doubts.  This is the time where rookies with tools who haven't got a lot of tape can take advantage of D's not ready for his abilities, or his arm strength.    I agree it's only 2 games. And I already covered in the GD thread that the HOU pass D was hugely overrated by an elite game vs. a bad, bad Patriots pass O.   Matt Waldman's awesome analysis presents a very balanced picture that he still has a lot of work to succeed long-term.  It's also fair to say he's shown the tools that could let him succeed.   Seems more than fair.

But the point of this thread was that Lock needed to be out there playing to tell the org how to proceed draft-wise for 2020.  And this info, whether Lock succeeds or not long-term, clearly tells the org to sit and wait, and NOT invest in another early pick long-term.   And to be clear, while we can't crown anyone yet after 2 games - it's just such a positive sign, you have to give Lock his due.   He played as well as anyone could hope.  We can't take that away from him.   Doesn't mean he'll be the answer - but he's certainly earned the right to get 1st shot next year.    That's what everyone is saying - and no one (well, almost no one lol) is crowning him yet.   But the fanbase should be excited.   The games give us hope.  And man, that's something fans have rightfully been deprived of when it comes to QB post-PFM in a long time.    Just enjoy it for what it is.

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

The Chargers though are top 5 by almost any metric. With the Texans you have a point. They're definitely a lower tier, just a spot or two above the Seahawks in most categories, PPG and YPG among them. 

Also, we didn't just beat them, we gave them their second beatdown of the year, second only to their loss to the Ravens.

All in all, hard to see how a guy can't get a bit excited over the best road start a rookie QB ever had.

I think it is fair to say "don't get too excited" but "I am excited". I don't buy the theory about an opposition being bad. It's hard to move the ball against NFL defenses, so you have to give a guy credit when he throws for 3 TDs and scores 30 points in a half.

That said, @Broncofan is clearly right when he says that the regression usually kicks in once there is enough film on tape. That's why Drew has to really focus in on the stuff Matt Waldman and others are pointing out re: his footwork, eye progression, etc. It doesn't mean we can think the kid has a chance - it just means don't be expecting that level of production every week.

In fairness to our Coaches, you could argue they have nailed the timing of his introduction. By the time there is significant tape on film, the season will be over and our own Coaches can pick holes in Lock's game to work on them in the offseason.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

At the absolute least, can we say Lock has shown enough to enter 2020 as the starting QB of the Denver Broncos? I’d assume Flacco gets kept as a backup since there’s a lot of dead money to cut him. 

Dead money would only matter if it cost more to cut him than keep him. Denver saves 10 million by cutting Flacco. 

• Like 2