What will the market be for QBs this off-season

patriotsheatyan

First you have to look at who you expect to have QBs returning.

AFC East (1, maybe 2)
Patriots: Tom Brady (could retire) (??)
Dolphins: Will Draft QB in the top 5 (+1)
Jets: Too early to give up on Darnold
Bills Too early to give up on Allen

AFC North (1)
Steelers: They have Ben under contract for at least 1 more year, maybe 2, and also have Mason Rudolph as a potential young project guy and future successor, so not this upcoming year.
Ravens: Seem to be happy with Jackson
Browns: Certainly too early to give up on Mayfield despite his abysmal start
Bengals: (Will likely draft QB in the top 5) (+1)

AFC South (Probably 1)
Texans: They have Watson
Jaguars: They have Foles and Minshew, not in the market
Colts: They might go after a premier backup who might be able to push Brissett, but they won't go for any significant FA or draft guy.
Titans: I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a guy or traded for a guy like Cam Newton, but they may also opt to stay with Tannehill, I'll say they're in the market though) (Probably)

AFC West (1, maybe 2)
Chiefs: lol no
Chargers: They have no heir apparent to Rivers and he's getting up there in age, I think he stays through next season, but how knows beyond that. I would say they're in the market (+1)
Raiders: I feel like they're content with Carr with now.
Broncos: I think they want to see what Lock has before they go after some other big name. Especially if they retain Elway. (??)

NFC East (NONE)
Eagles: They have Carson
Cowboys: They have Dak
Giants: Just drafted Jones
Redskins: Just drafted Haskins

NFC North (Maybe 1)
Packers: They're more concerned with surrounding Rodgers with talent to win still, too early for them to worry about life after him just yet IMO
Bears: Here's an interesting one, Trubisky is looking to be a bust, regardless he'll still be on the team next year for the last year of his deal. Maybe they sign a high end backup like Bridgewater or Trade for Cam or something. (??)
Vikings: They have Kirk for one more season, they're not going to do anything until after they re-evaluate Kirk's situation next off season.
Lions: I have to think they're still satisfied with Stafford, I think he's a fairly good QB. 

NFC South (maybe 3)
Falcons: Really hard to say, it depends on a lot of factors, Quinn will almost assuredly be gone, does Arthur Blank sign off on going through another rebuild or does he want one last hurrah with Ryan and Julio, I'd lean towards the latter. (??)
Buccaneers: I expect them to draft a QB high (+1)
Panthers: One of the hardest situations to gauge. I'll leave them as a (??)
Saints: Brees very well could retire, do they believe in Teddy for the long haul? (??)

NFC West (NONE)
Rams: Goff is there for better or worse.
Seahawks: Russell Wilson, nuff said.
Cardinals: Just took a QB in the first roun- :D
49ers: They're successful right now and Jimmy G has looked good enough.

------

YES: 
Bengals
Dolphins
Buccaneers

Maybe:
Titans
Saints
Patriots
Chargers
[GAP]
Bears
Panthers
Broncos

Each of the 3 under yes are probably drafting a guy in the 1st round. Titans could draft a guy, they could sign or trade for a guy, they might stick with Tannehill. The only guy who could be a starter moving forward in the list you listed above is Cam Newton, but even then it's health dependent. Brees and Brady the only question is will or won't they retire.

• Like 1

I could see the Patriots keeping Tom Brady one more year, and signing someone like Mariota then he becomes a Steve Young type of player maybe. He'd be a backup until Tom retires. He'll get a job, sign a 2-3 year deal worth $10 or so million per probably as a backup to one of the guys on the verge of retirement.

Jameis Winston is probably going to go the way of Vince Young.

Bridgewater staying with the Saints is entirely possible, he could go to the Chargers or Patriots as well, but Mariota is more likely there.

I don't know what to make of Andy Dalton. Probably turns into Ryan Fitzpatrick from here on would be my guess.

Edited by Danger

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

If any of the following become free agents, what is their market value? As is it wise to pay them?

Teddy Bridgewater 

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota

Andy Dalton 

Cam Newton

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Based on his play, I could see Bridgewater get himself a $25m+ long term deal, buuuuut then you look at the market (as Danger demonstrated) and I don't really see where he actually gets such a deal. Kirk Cousins and Vikings was perfect storm of good QB hitting market and team trying to win now (coming off 13-3) not having time to develop a QB or gamble. 

Brees and Brady both easily could get whatever contract they want IMO. Even at their age, assuming no sharp decline at end of season, they are top tier QBs and any team without an established QB or top pick would be foolish not to bid for their services. I think both either stay w/ their team, or retire, but if they actually tested the open market they probably get 2-3 year fully guaranteed deals that has them in top 5 of average salary. Bucs, Titans, Bears, all teams that I think would leap at opportunity to get one of these guys.

Cam is a bit of a wild card, I really do not know what his market will look like. At end of day I don't think he'd get offered close to the money he thinks he can be worth and would opt for a 1 year prove it type deal. 

Rest seem back-up bound to me, so 1-2 year, at most $8M/year deals.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

Would love to see Teddy given a chance as a legit starter and not just a placeholder. Not sure what the Saints are going to do in the offseason with Brees but Teddy certainly deserves the job if they move on. Could see the Titans having interest in Teddy too given that they likely won’t be in a position to draft a replacement for Mariota. 

I hope we get to keep Teddy after Brees retires.  But at the same time, I'm not really in a hurry to see Brees retire if he's still playing at a high level.  

If I had to put money on it, I think Brees probably retires after this season, and in that case I think Teddy stays in NO.  Otherwise, well, we can't keep both.

So I have been thinking about Baker Mayfield’s future since his embarrassing moment the other day with the reporter asking him a question and him walking out like a kid in Junior High. I actually really like Baker, and I want him and the Browns to succeed, but he has to mature and he needs to do it in a hurry. He also has a guy who maybe shouldn’t be a head coach, not a great O-Line, and he plays for the Browns (No offense Browns fans I’m just saying it won’t be easy for any QB to finally break that curse or whatever you want to call it) so he has some things working against him

Let’s say he does ok the rest of this year, but doesn’t really improve in year 3, along with more outbursts and things you don’t normally see from an NFL QB. Could the Browns look to trade him or even cut him with one year left on his rookie contract? The reason I ask is because if he is going to have success, the New Orleans Saints seem like the ideal team for HIM. If Sean Payton can’t coach him up into a solid/great QB then I am not sure if anyone could. I know that’s a long ways down the road and a lot would have to happen, but what are your thoughts?

Also if I'm John Dorsey I would be making a call to Ryan Leaf (With or without Baker knowing) and asking if he wouldn't mind reaching out to Baker to talk to him about the negatives for showing that attitude, at least in public. Ryan Leaf has been pretty open over the years talking about his mistakes on the radio and various TV shows 

Edited by TakeTheBallDeep

31 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Also if I'm John Dorsey I would be making a call to Ryan Leaf (With or without Baker knowing) and asking if he wouldn't mind reaching out to Baker to talk to him about the negatives for showing that attitude, at least in public. Ryan Leaf has been pretty open over the years talking about his mistakes on the radio and various TV shows 

What has Baker shown you over the past year to make you think in any way shape or form, he'd listen to a Bust Never Was, Butt of all QB jokes  like Ryan Leaf? He'd either laugh in his face and say Dude, GTF away from me or be offended and then say Dude GTF away from me!!

It's also funny how last year when Bakers was playing well, this type of attitude and antics was accepted,  hell encouraged by the masses?. Now that he looks like Hot trash, let's cry and ask for help? Funny how that works.

He is what he is,  an immature young 20 yr old millionaire who thinks he's above scrutiny and has very little understanding what it means to be a FQB and the Face of the Franchise. To busy saying what he wants with no filter because hey, what are you really going to do me? 

2020 Baker Trump !🍺

On 10/30/2019 at 9:20 PM, Jlowe22 said:

I hope we get to keep Teddy after Brees retires.  But at the same time, I'm not really in a hurry to see Brees retire if he's still playing at a high level.  

If I had to put money on it, I think Brees probably retires after this season, and in that case I think Teddy stays in NO.  Otherwise, well, we can't keep both.

I have a feeling Brees will play as long as he is physically able so I don't see him retiring after this season unless he gets seriously injured and I hope not cuz Drew is one of my favorite non-Packers players

• Like 2