David Johnson's wrist X-rays negative; MRI tomorrow

Webmaster

3 hours ago, G-McDog said:

Someone just dropped DJ in my league. Is he worth a roster spot?

Yeah, I'd say it really depends on the construction of your roster and how many bench spots your league makes available to you.  If you have an IR slot available to you, go get him NOW and put him on it, as that should have been what his original owner did.  If you have 5 or less bench spots, you're certainly welcome to pick him up and stash him for a bit, but I'd also be ready to part with him if you end up needing the roster space (it's easy to say now that you can spare the roster spot when byes don't kick in till Week 5, but once those roll around...).

I had him in a re-draft league where we only have 3 roster spots and had to drop him, but I'll still likely try to grab him back up around Week 8 if I can.

I will say though that anyone looking at him as someone to pick up to boost a playoff run ought to really monitor how the Cards actually do this season.  If they're not threatening for a playoff berth, there's going to be less and less motivation to rush him back and if they're totally out of the playoff race by Week 10, they could just opt to shut him down and let him fully heal ahead of next season.

Dislocated wrist rehab is no joke.  There's a lot of grip-strength building (essential for RB's) and range of motion (ditto) involved, and that's after healing up from the trauma of the surgery.  It's very much the type of thing that could take the high side of the recovery time (i.e. closer to 3 months than 2) and just because he'd be eligible to come off the IR in Week 10 doesn't mean that he'll necessarily be ready to.

Ultimately though, in order for him to "help you out in the playoffs" you have to make the playoffs first.  And an extra roster spot for a player that can actually contribute to your roster over the next 9+ weeks is, clearly, going to help you make the playoffs more than David Johnson sitting on your bench will.

Archived