GDT 11/3/19 Week 9: 5-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 8-0 New England Patriots

DreamKid

Brady is Flacco with the "Dink and dunk" that labeled my guy. We should sit on those short throws. He might try his hand one time for the one time with Sanu, but we need to kill all that short throw nonsense. We need to hit 'em on the mouth and run the football down there throat as previously stated. This game is hard for me to pick as I can see a win and a loss. So I'm going to chump up and do an either or.

Ravens win 27-24

Or 

Patriots win 27-20 

Gun to my head I'm taking the good guys at home. In the all black people get hyped for. (Purple and Black still the hardest Ravens uni's Used to be all black, but meh)

I think the key for us in this game is shutting down the Patriots ability to run the football. Force them to beat us with dinking and dunking to get down the field and hope over the length of the game Humphrey, Peters, Clark, and Thomas can prove to create turnovers in the secondary.

On offense I think the Patriots choose to turn Lamar into a runner and drop extra defenders into coverage in passing situations. I suspect they will switch between doubling Andrews and Brown and force the other players to win in 1v1. Rush 3 and put a spy on Lamar. Then in the second half they will look to blitz as Lamar gets into the groove of running for first downs.

I think therefore the key will be Boykin and Hurst being able to win when out in 1v1 situations. What’s more this could be a game where using Hollywood on Jet sweeps and jet sweep fakes may help to move the ball on large chunk runs or setup Boykin and Hurst in ideal 1v1 situations. I hope to also see a fake jet sweep PA pass where we use the Jet sweep as a mechanism to deploy Hollywood deep.

The biggest matchup in this game will be the play of the OL. If they play outstanding football all around, we win, if they don’t, we could have an ugly game.

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think the key for us in this game is shutting down the Patriots ability to run the football. Force them to beat us with dinking and dunking to get down the field and hope over the length of the game Humphrey, Peters, Clark, and Thomas can prove to create turnovers in the secondary.

On offense I think the Patriots choose to turn Lamar into a runner and drop extra defenders into coverage in passing situations. I suspect they will switch between doubling Andrews and Brown and force the other players to win in 1v1. Rush 3 and put a spy on Lamar. Then in the second half they will look to blitz as Lamar gets into the groove of running for first downs.

I think therefore the key will be Boykin and Hurst being able to win when out in 1v1 situations. What’s more this could be a game where using Hollywood on Jet sweeps and jet sweep fakes may help to move the ball on large chunk runs or setup Boykin and Hurst in ideal 1v1 situations. I hope to also see a fake jet sweep PA pass where we use the Jet sweep as a mechanism to deploy Hollywood deep.

The biggest matchup in this game will be the play of the OL. If they play outstanding football all around, we win, if they don’t, we could have an ugly game.

We don't have an ability to run the football. I'm assuming Ravens have already shut that down before the game has even started. We can't get push upfront at the minute. I expect a near abandonment of the run, and spread the Baltimore D out (we'll have N'Keal ready, but doubt he does much).

You blitz more than most (any?) but don't have many sacks. However, Brady's completion rate goes from 70s to 30s when blitzed this year. A real departure from previous years. So I think your D should concentrate on tight coverage with blitz packages. 

Our D will utilize a similar strategy to LAC, but it doesn't use as many DBs. You'll see a lot of 3-2 with a safety (Chung) forming the second 3. It's helped against the run previously. But we haven't faced a Jackson. I'm expecting to be frustrated.

Let's hope for a good'un and noooo injuries! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see New England with 15 total rushing attempts this game, and then they use the short passing game and screens as their extended run game. They'll dink and dunk us all game long with Edelman and their RB's and hope that they catch us sleeping for a big play eventually.

Sounds about right. Dorsett has caught some bombs, but that's about it. 

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

We don't have an ability to run the football. I'm assuming Ravens have already shut that down before the game has even started. We can't get push upfront at the minute. I expect a near abandonment of the run, and spread the Baltimore D out (we'll have N'Keal ready, but doubt he does much).

You blitz more than most (any?) but don't have many sacks. However, Brady's completion rate goes from 70s to 30s when blitzed this year. A real departure from previous years. So I think your D should concentrate on tight coverage with blitz packages. 

Our D will utilize a similar strategy to LAC, but it doesn't use as many DBs. You'll see a lot of 3-2 with a safety (Chung) forming the second 3. It's helped against the run previously. But we haven't faced a Jackson. I'm expecting to be frustrated.

Let's hope for a good'un and noooo injuries! 

I don’t think the point carried over. If your team is able to run the football for solid gains as well as activate the short passing game the defense will be kept off balance. I understand that you haven’t done it to this point, but there’s no stopping that short passing attack. But we’ll need all hands on deck to contain it. 

So if we can shutdown the run with mostly just our front 5 (big nickel) then we could have our safeties be more vigilant with regard to shutting down the short passing game for lesser games and hope for more 3 and outs.

But if the Patriots can run the football for solid gains they will keep us appropriately off balance. And they will convert more of those 3rd downs for 1st downs.

With regard to Dorsett I would place Marcus Peters on him with some safety help. Present the interception return threat that Peters provides to cause some pause on some passes. Everyone else in the secondary should be solid tacklers (Carr, Smith, Levine) to great tacklers (Thomas, Clark, Humphrey) outside of Peters.

But yeah beyond that I agree with everything you’ve said regarding the game.

Edited by diamondbull424

I'm excited that one of my favorite Ravens is returning, JIM-MAY SMITH! Wish he could stay healthy as if I were the Ravens would've offered him an extension for 2 or 3 years. But he just can't stay on the field and getting older by the day. I think he's going to play an important part for us down the stretch. Wonder who they'll have him stick? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I'm excited that one of my favorite Ravens is returning, JIM-MAY SMITH! Wish he could stay healthy as if I were the Ravens would've offered him an extension for 2 or 3 years. But he just can't stay on the field and getting older by the day. I think he's going to play an important part for us down the stretch. Wonder who they'll have him stick? 

I definitely still think it's possible he does get extended at the end of the year. He still plays well when healthy. Excited to see how he rebounds from the injury. 

I also see him being moved around a bit depending how coverage it going.