GDT - The Baltimore Runvens

Hunter2_1

Image result for running man gif

8:20 PM. NBC. M&T Bank Stadium

Image result for patriots vs ravens

The Past

January 10, 2010 Baltimore Ravens 33–14 New England Patriots Gillette Stadium 68,756 Joe Flacco Tom Brady
October 17, 2010 New England Patriots 23–20 Baltimore Ravens Gillette Stadium 68,756 Joe Flacco Tom Brady
January 22, 2012 New England Patriots 23–20 Baltimore Ravens Gillette Stadium 68,756 Joe Flacco Tom Brady
September 23, 2012 Baltimore Ravens 31–30 New England Patriots M&T Bank Stadium 71,269 Joe Flacco Tom Brady
January 20, 2013 Baltimore Ravens 28–13 New England Patriots Gillette Stadium 68,756 Joe Flacco Tom Brady
December 22, 2013 New England Patriots 41–7 Baltimore Ravens M&T Bank Stadium 71,269 Joe Flacco Tom Brady
January 10, 2015 New England Patriots 35–31 Baltimore Ravens Gillette Stadium 68,756 Joe Flacco Tom Brady
December 12, 2016 New England Patriots 30–23 Baltimore Ravens Gillette Stadium 66,829 Joe Flacco Tom Brady

Sunday night the Patriots take on Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens. The second-year quarterback is slowly changing how the quarterback position is played, both as a passer and as a runner. His passing numbers are solid, with an Adjusted Net Yards per Pass (ANY/A) of 6.70 (13th in the league) and his QBR of 70.9 is fifth in the league, behind only Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson. If you want to talk about more advanced metrics, Jackson’s Expected Points Added per Play (EPA/P) is 0.2, 12th among passers. (Data courtesy of Ben Baldwin from The Athletic Seattle).

But when you consider what Jackson brings to the table as a runner, the picture becomes even more formidable. Despite a bye last week, Jackson still is 10th in the league in rushing, with 576 yards under his belt. He averages 82.3 yards per game (edging out Saquon Barkley) which is good for ninth in the league.

He is truly a difficult player to defend, and how the Patriots choose to contain him on Sunday night is going to be fascinating to watch.

New England employs a 3-2-6 defensive package, using safety Patrick Chung (#23) as a joker-type player, dropping him down into a linebacker’s alignment. Up front they use a 4i-0-3 defensive formation, and they bring Van Noy down over the tight end. Once more, provided the players up front are disciplined, they can stop the run. 

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/10/31/20940265/film-room-ravens-patriots-nfl-week-9-lamar-jackson

Image result for the running man

Image result for a train the boys

They can stop the run, but can they stop the pass? Can our OL let Brady and the boys do their thing? We'll see

NE: 27

BALT: 24

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 3

I'm intrigued by our defensive gameplan. But it won't prevent Lamar Jackson from picking up crucial 3rd downs with his legs.

I'm leaning towards a higher scoring game with the BAL defense having no pass rush us having trouble defending the run.

The Patriots will defeat the Ravens by a score of 27-20 to move to 9-0.

11 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

This is one of the worst defenses will we face this year.

This is not your dads ravens defense 

While we most likely will get Jimmy Smith back, he will also likely only play a few reps. New starters this year is LJ Fort, Josh Bynes, Jihad Ward, Jaylon Ferguson, Chuck Clark and Marcus Peters. The question is how much our defense has gelled and will be prepared for the Patriots offensive scheme.

Our big issue will be, that we are quite bad at getting home with our pass rush and creating sacks, so despite your woes at oline, Brady will most likely be able to maneuvre quite a bit in the pocket and pick our defense apart.

But any given sunday, etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Well, they're really stout against the run (and obv we can't run), but the secondary is surrendering 8 per play.I'm hoping/expecting to spread it out, hit the middle deep often (they're better on the outside with marlon and peters). We'll need a Brady day, and we SHOULD get one if the OL turns up

15 hours ago, Danand said:

While we most likely will get Jimmy Smith back, he will also likely only play a few reps. New starters this year is LJ Fort, Josh Bynes, Jihad Ward, Jaylon Ferguson, Chuck Clark and Marcus Peters. The question is how much our defense has gelled and will be prepared for the Patriots offensive scheme.

Our big issue will be, that we are quite bad at getting home with our pass rush and creating sacks, so despite your woes at oline, Brady will most likely be able to maneuvre quite a bit in the pocket and pick our defense apart.

If we win the WC though, pressure is off, right? I won't care nearly as much as usual xD

17 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

While I agree it's not your typical Ravens defense, to say it's one of the worst defenses is a bit of a stretch. They're getting Jimmy Smith back and added Peters. Now, I'm not a fan of Peters at all and his guessing style; however, I am a big fan of Humphrey's game. He's a legit shutdown corner. There secondary is going to look much different Sunday night, but you can run on this defense.

Can't wait to see Belichick's game plan for Lamar. I really don't think he's ever had to scheme for a player like Lamar, so I can't wait to see what he draws up. Hopefully we see Harry active for the first time this season too. I feel like that's something no one talks about. Most teams would be dead in the water if they were getting no production from their first round picks. The Patriots essentially haven't the last two seasons and they continue to just chug along. Really speaks to Belichick and the depth of this roster.

So pumped for Sunday night. 

18 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I'm intrigued by our defensive gameplan. But it won't prevent Lamar Jackson from picking up crucial 3rd downs with his legs.

I'm leaning towards a higher scoring game with the BAL defense having no pass rush us having trouble defending the run.

The Patriots will defeat the Ravens by a score of 27-20 to move to 9-0.

It has to center all around stopping Jackson. While they have some good pieces (Ingram, Brown, Andrews) their offense really just flows through Lamar. It's a tough task, but that's 100% going to be the gameplan's focus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

While I agree it's not your typical Ravens defense, to say it's one of the worst defenses is a bit of a stretch. They're getting Jimmy Smith back and added Peters. Now, I'm not a fan of Peters at all and his guessing style; however, I am a big fan of Humphrey's game. He's a legit shutdown corner. There secondary is going to look much different Sunday night, but you can run on this defense.

Can't wait to see Belichick's game plan for Lamar. I really don't think he's ever had to scheme for a player like Lamar, so I can't wait to see what he draws up. Hopefully we see Harry active for the first time this season too. I feel like that's something no one talks about. Most teams would be dead in the water if they were getting no production from their first round picks. The Patriots essentially haven't the last two seasons and they continue to just chug along. Really speaks to Belichick and the depth of this roster.

So pumped for Sunday night. 

I don’t think it’s a stretch.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019

Football outsiders  for example has them ranked 19th in defensive efficiency this year behind the jets bills Steelers chiefs philly.

Edited by CP3MVP

19 hours ago, Danand said:

So basically they have no pass rush and all you have to do is avoid Humphrey because there’s nothing special about the other corners?

37 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I don’t think it’s a stretch.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019

Football outsiders  for example has them ranked 19th in defensive efficiency this year behind the jets bills Steelers chiefs philly.

Our defense was 30th in DVOA Weeks 1-4, but 6th in DVOA Weeks 5-8.

It's taken a bit with all the new guys learning to play together and the injuries taking their toll, but some high end play is starting to take shape. That said.....you're completely right in calling this unit a far cry from that of our past Defenses.

I think this will be a good "Let's see whats up" game for your Offense and our Defense. Typically, the talking point sides of the ball for our respective clubs.