Releases: 24 million saved

OG Kyle Long 8.1 million

CB Prince Amukamara 8 million

WR Cordarelle Patterson 5.2 million

TE Adam Shaheen 1.2 million

TE Ben Brauncecker 1.5 million

Cap Room: 41 million

Restructure: 10 million saved

OLB Khalil Mack, convert 10 million in salary to signing bonus.

Cap Room: 51 million

Extensions: 4 million saved

S Eddie Jackson [Landon Collins] [-5 million 2020]

Old Money: 1 year 900k

New Money: 6 years 87.1 million/50 guaranteed/28 at signings/15 SB

Total Money: 7 years 88 million/50 guaranteed/28 at signing/15 SB

Year 1: 3 GS/3 SB [6]

Year 2: 4 GS/3 SB/3 GRB [10]

Year 3: 5 GS/3 SB/ 6 RB [14]

Year 4: 5 GSI/3 SB/4 RB [14]

Year 5: 6 Salary/3 SB/5 RB [14]

Year 6: 15 Salary [15]

Year 7: 17 Salary [17]

WR Allen Robinson [Mike Evans] [+9 million 2020]

Old Money: 1 year 15 million

New Money: 4 years 68 million/38 guaranteed

Total Money: 5 years 83 million/38 guaranteed

Year 1: 3 GS/3 SB [6]

Year 2: 1 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/3 RB [10]

Year 3: 5 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/ 3 RB [14]

Year 4: 10 Salary/3 SB/3 RB [16]

Year 5: 14 Salary/3 SB [17]

Cap Room: 55 million

Re-signings: 22.5 million spent

LB Danny Trevathan 3 years 25 million/21 guaranteed/6 signing bonus

Trevathan is the heart beat of the defense and he is a consistent player. With Roquan’s issues and Kwik being a free agent the Bears should bring him back and ensure stability on defense.

Year 1: 5 GS/2 SB [7]

Year 2: 1 Salary/1 GSI/2 SB/3 RB [8]

Year 3: 2 Salary/3 GSI/2 SB/ 3 RB [10]

S Deon Bush 3 years 13.5 million/5 guaranteed

The Bears need a reasonable priced SS to play beside Eddie Jackson and they need someone who can tackle consistently. Bush has shown he can tackle consistently and that he knows the defense and can produce at a much cheaper price tag than Dix.

Year 1: 2 GS/1 SB [3]

Year 2: 3 Salary/1 SB [5]

Year 3: 4.5 Salary/1 SB [5.5]

DE Nick Williams 3 years 6 million/3 guaranteed/3 signing bonus

The Bears need to ensure that they maintain their DL depth and Williams has played well this year and shown more pass rush than any of us expected. A nice backup deal that keeps hi in the rotation seems fair.

Year 1:  1 Salary/1 SB [2]

Year 2: 1 Salary/1 SB [2]

Year 3: 1 Salary/1 SB [2]

OLB Aaron Lynch 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed/1 signing bonus

The Bears do not have the picks to replace the OLB spot with a top player in the draft so they need to keep Lynch around because he is productive and versatile. I know he is fat and doesn’t practice, but on Sundays he does things.

Year 1: 1 Salary/.5 SB [1.5]

Year 2: 3 Salary/.5 SB [3.5]*released before this happens

OG Rashaad Coward 2 years 6 million/4 guaranteed

Coward has had some nice moments at RG and should be brought back to compete with Alex Bars at RG. His size and physicality have been a pleasant upgrade from what was left of Kyle Long. The original round tender is 2 million, the 2nd round tender is 4 million, the Bears should meet Coward in the middle and make sure he is on the team moving forward.

Year 1: 1 GS/1 SB [2]

Year 2: 2 Salary/1 SB/ 1 RB [4]

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis 1 year 1 million

LS Patrick Scales 1 year 1 million

S DHC 1 year 1 million

DE Roy Robertson-Harris [2nd Round Tender] [4]

Losing RRH for 4 million dollars is not really an option. Perhaps at a 2nd round tender someone in the back end of the 2nd round signs him to an offer sheet, if not the Bears should keep him for 1 more year at least and see if he continues to produce and whether Hicks comes back from all the injuries strong.

Cap Room: 32.5 million

Trade: 16 Million Spent

The Chicago Bears trade a conditional 2021 pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars for QB Nick Foles [16 million cap hit].

5f2f6a2869114e39b3086c84ad77f031.jpg?w=620

Conditions
Playoffs: 2nd
10+ starts: 3rd
10 starts or less: 4th

Why trade for Nick Foles?

1. He is good enough to start and give you league average QB play.

2. He can start for a couple of seasons if you are grooming a rookie.

3. He is not so expensive and you are not committed to him to the point that he can't hit the bench if Mitch comes back from the dead.

4. He has worked with Nagy in the past.

Cap Room: 16.5 million

Free Agents: 3.5 Million Spent

TE Darren Fells [Houston] 1 year 2.5 million/2 guaranteed [2.5]

The Bears need to get a real blocking TE who is not a complete waste in the passing game like Shaheen. Fells is 34 and is only a 1 or 2 year option, but he is a good blocker and a redzone threat and someone who will contribute in the passing game.

420x0.jpg

S Mathias Farley [NY Jets] 1 year 1 million/500k guaranteed [1]

Played for Pagano in Indianapolis and has been a solid backup in his career and is a core special teamer. He gives the Bears a backup safety with some starting experience and some improvement on kick coverage units.

gettyimages-893664204_0.jpg?itok=oTXjCWEh

Cap Room: 13 million

Draft: 4 Million Spent

*Trade*: The Chicago Bears trade 2[44], 2[45] to the Seattle Seahawks for 1[30] and 2[62]. Getting the 5th year option on a QB is a huge deal and the Bears need to ensure they land their guy. Seattle loves to trade down out of the 1st.

1[30] QB Jalen Hurts [OU] 6'1" 223lbs.

The Bears need to start grooming a better QB than Nick Foles, who has a long term ceiling, but what Foles does buy them is serious time to sit the rookie and develop him in the system. Foles could play 2020, 2021, or until the rookie is ready and better than him. Hurts is one of the more interesting QBs in the draft. You cannot doubt his experience being the starter for 2 powerhouse programs and playing in multiple National Championship games. He has a strong arm, can run, and has a lot of physical tools that you can develop. Now that he has been with Lincoln Riley at OU the rough edges in the passing game seem to have been smoothed out and he looks like an NFL level passer. I think if the NFL game clicks for him on the low end you have a thicker Lamar Jackson and best case you have Russell Wilson. The Bears can redshirt him in 2020 and immerse him in the offense.

Oklahoma-v-UCLA-a122c22fef92ffe660808b29430ceb7b.jpg

2[62] OT Prince Tega Wanogho [Auburn] 6'7" 310lbs.

Charles Leno is over paid and on his best day he is average. The OLs struggles at the beginning of the season were a huge part of tanking this season and the Bears should try and build a dominant OL. Right now the OL is fluctuating between average and bad and Leno is the most replaceable player on the line. Coward has flashed at RG and I think a camp battle between hi and Bars would make for a solid RG spot. Prince has all the physical tools that you look for in a LT. He looks like he was built in an OL lab. He is a powerful run blocker and has the length and feet you look for in pass pro. The problem is he comes from a very basic, run heavy offense and he will need some technique work before he is ready for the NFL level. My faith in Hiestand has waned a lot this season, but hopefully he can turn these physical tools into a monster.

prince-tega-wanogho-e1546904684744.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

4. TE Mitchell Wilcox [South Florida] 6'5" 245lbs.

The Bears TE position is just plain bad. Shaheen is awful, Burton is soft, and the best TE on the roster is Holtz who was signed in season after being cut by Washington. The Bears need to add more options to that group. Fells should give them a starting Y and Burton's money is guaranteed so the hope is that he will be the starting U. But Burton is unreliable so a player needs to be drafted and developed to take his spot. Wilcox is a converted WR and a big bodied receiving threat with the ideal physical tools to be a U TE. He can come in and backup and develop in that spot for when the Bears can mercifully get Burton's garbage contract off the books.

ACKCYIXPDWAPOBW.20161130161413.jpg

5. CB Damon Arnette [Ohio St] 6' 190lbs.

The Bears need to go cheap at the CB across from Fuller. With money shifting to Eddie Jackson they can no longer afford to pay Prince 9/season. The Bears may not be able to add a top talent with the issues on the offense, but they can add options. I do not think the Bears need a 2nd top CB with their pass rush and the amount of 2 deep they play. I think you take Arnette, Tolliver, Denmark and Shelley and you see who can win the job. If they struggle when the live bullets fly then you move on to the next guy on the list. Arnette has the physical tools and comes from a school that is producing a ton of NFL level DBs.

DamonTalk-718x490.jpg

5. OLB Darrell Taylor [Tennessee] 6'4" 245lbs.

I am not sure Floyd is going to be a Bears past 2020 when his option is up. He does a lot of things well, but he also disappears for long stretches. I am not sure you can pay him 14/season when you are already paying Mack 24/season. That means the Bears have a year to develop some young cheap players to take his spot. Taylor has the physical tools that you want at OLB. He has the size, length, and burst to develop into an NFL level pass rusher. He has consistently been a solid pass rusher at Tennessee producing 5 sacks so far this season and 8 last year. He can come in and pick up Irvings reps, play special teams, and get a year with Pagano and Motachino to develop.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fallfortennessee.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1060089716.jpeg&c=sc&w=736&h=485

5. OLB Jonathan Garvin [Miami] 6'4" 255lbs.

Pace has shown that he likes to throw multiple picks at positions where he is concerned and OLB gets another young option in the hopes that one of them becomes a long term player for the Bears. This is a physical tools pick, because Garvin has the tools, but has never produced a lot of sacks. He has the body and long arms you look for, but he has such a small array of pass rush moves and good luck seeing a counter move. He needs coaching and he needs some time to develop these things in practice.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQfFWFJakUWuIjHiuWgti_JZHZIoKOp_nw-sQwA2RD741MO2ttrw&s

6. OG John Simpson [Clemson] 6'4" 330lbs.

Concerns on the OL so the Bears double dip and get another big bodied player that can be developed and provide cheap depth. Simpson is a big bodied earth mover who can compete at OG and be developed. He is not a great athlete, but he will not be pushed around, a major problem for the Bears OL this season.

5a43532792cea.image.jpg?crop=1193%2C954%2C167%2C0&resize=400%2C320&order=crop%2Cresize

7. RB Elijah Mitchell [UL Lafayette] 5'11" 225lbs

This is a long term pick of a power RB that can replace Mike Davis who should be cut for a comp pick and to save some money and get more straight ahead power in their backfield. Mitchell is a no non-sense hammer who runs hard and forward and can be used in that role and in situations where you may want to run out the clock. Mitchell had 13 TDs last year and 30 catches, so there may be some untapped receiving skills there. Mitchell probably hits the PR for the 2020 season until an injury.

5751a909e215a.image.jpg?resize=400%2C320

Depth Chart

QB: Foles, Hurts, Trubisky

RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Whyte, Mitchell 

WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Ridley

TE: Fells, Burton, Holtz, Wilcox

LT: Leno/Wanogho

LG: Whitehair, Simpson

C: Daniels

RG: Coward/Bars

RT: Massie

RE: Nichols, RRH

NT: Goldman, Anderson

LE: Hicks, Williams

OLB: Floyd, Taylor

ILB: Smith, KPL

ILB: Trevathan, Iggy, Woods

OLB: Mack, Lynch, Garvin

CB: Fuller, Skrine, Tolliver, Shelley, Arnette, Denmark

FS: Jackson, DHC

SS: Bush, Farley

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I would love this off season except for the CB spot.

If something were to happen to Fuller as far as injury goes we'd be screwed.  I still think they need to find a way to keep Prince.  Maybe a restructure/extension.

It will be very hard.

If you are going to shift cash back to the safety spot it has to come out of somewhere.

Not adding a veteran QB, maybe they can afford it, but Mitch has pretty much guaranteed that there are going to be a lot of very tough cap calls.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

It will be very hard.

If you are going to shift cash back to the safety spot it has to come out of somewhere.

Not adding a veteran QB, maybe they can afford it, but Mitch has pretty much guaranteed that there are going to be a lot of very tough cap calls.

I am of the opinion that they don't need to re-sign Eddie Jackson to a big extension just yet.  Let him get back to his 2018 level first.  He hasn't been great this year so I wouldn't be in a rush to pay that man.  Let him earn it.

I love the amount of work and effort you put into these, @WindyCity. I just don't think there is any way we trade for Foles.

If anything I think we kick the tires on Mariota or another "vet" and then go draft pick. And that's assuming Trubisky craps the bed the remaining 9 games. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

I love the amount of work and effort you put into these, @WindyCity. I just don't think there is any way we trade for Foles.

If anything I think we kick the tires on Mariota or another "vet" and then go draft pick. And that's assuming Trubisky craps the bed the remaining 9 games. 

If you think that Pace, who is thinking about job preservation after missing on 10, is going to be cool with the Battle of Busts at QB then you and he have more balls than I do.

I am not sure unless 10 comes off the mat like the Undertaker you can not go get a legit veteran.

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not sure what Lynch does during the game as you said, but maybe one day it'll be more apparent. You also say you can't address the OLB spot in the draft but then you do. Lynch sucks, especially for $5M.

I'd probably keep Patterson. Love the Trevathan extension.

Lynch is nowhere near as bad as people say he is. He produces a little in limited reps. He also makes very little money.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

This is what's most likely going to happen. 

I don't think Pace will be given the green light to sink $20M+ into the QB position for multiple years and cap hits when he may be fired after next season.  If you make a big move like that  and it busts then that's a crappy situation for this team going forward.

And even if he was given permission to pursue an option like that iit would require lots of creativity and Jacksonville would have to be willing to part with Foles also.  Too many variables at play.

I love the idea and not saying it's impossible but I just don't see it as realistic.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

This is what's most likely going to happen. 

I don't think Pace will be given the green light to sink $20M+ into the QB position for multiple years and cap hits when he may be fired after next season.  If you make a big move like that  and it busts then that's a crappy situation for this team going forward.

And even if he was given permission to pursue an option like that iit would require lots of creativity and Jacksonville would have to be willing to part with Foles also.  Too many variables at play.

I love the idea and not saying it's impossible but I just don't see it as realistic.

Mariota is a player that, allegedly, Pace loved and wanted to trade up for back in 2015. Let's say Mitch continues his current level of inadequate play, bringing in Mariota immediately opens competition at the QB spot. They can say it's open but give the job to Mitch and offer him, I don't know, 5 to 6 more games. If he still sucks, that means you're losing, so you turn it over to Mariota who now has had time to learn your system. If he sucks, it means you're losing games BUT you have your first round pick to draft your QB. 

That's the route I think they will take if, God forbid, Trubisky busts. 

Edited by G08

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Mariota is a player that, allegedly, Pace loved and wanted to trade up for back in 2015. Let's say Mitch continues his current level of inadequate play, bringing in Mariota immediately opens competition at the QB spot. They can say it's open but give the job to Mitch and offer him, I don't know, 5 to 6 more games. If he still sucks, that means you're losing, so you turn it over to Mariota who now has had time to learn your system. If he sucks, it means you're losing games BUT you have your first round pick to draft your QB. 

Maybe just maybe Pace and Nagy planned that this could be a possibility all along and that's the reason they hired Helfrich as OC?  I don't know if anyone can say that it's purely coincidental seeing how Pace was highly rumored to love Mariota too when he was coming out.  I thought the Helfrich hire was weird at the time but if this happens then it would make a lot more sense.  Not to say that Mariota is any good, but I think he'd be good competition for Mitchy, along with a draft pick.

If you are bringing in a Bridgewater or Foles then you are officially done with Trubisky and I don't think they will be officially done with him after 2019.

20 hours ago, G08 said:

If Mitch continues his flame out then he doesn't need competition he needs to be replaced.

20 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Maybe just maybe Pace and Nagy planned that this could be a possibility all along and that's the reason they hired Helfrich as OC?  I don't know if anyone can say that it's purely coincidental seeing how Pace was highly rumored to love Mariota too when he was coming out.  I thought the Helfrich hire was weird at the time but if this happens then it would make a lot more sense.  Not to say that Mariota is any good, but I think he'd be good competition for Mitchy, along with a draft pick.

If you are bringing in a Bridgewater or Foles then you are officially done with Trubisky and I don't think they will be officially done with him after 2019.

Honest question, would you bet your job on a Mariota vs Trubisky QB battle?