Is Dwayne Haskins is the new Akili Smith?

KOTN-93

The struggle with commanding the huddle and issues with the mental part of the game. Haskins could barely line up the offense sometimes against the Vikings.

If I remember correctly Akili like Haskins physically unquestionginly had it but just couldnt handle it mentally. (I was pretty young when Akili played so its foggy)

Am I way off on this?

Edited by KOTN-93
Broke up for easier reading.

7 minutes ago, KOTN-93 said:

The struggle with commanding the huddle and issues with the mental part of the game. Haskins could barely line up the offense sometimes against the Vikings.

If I remember correctly Akili like Haskins physically unquestionginly had it but just couldnt handle it mentally. (I was pretty young when Akili played so its foggy)

Am I way off on this?

I wouldn't say you are way off.  I just think it is way too early to make any judgments on Haskins this early in his career. 

I don't like the direction of this thread.  Haskins and Akili Smith aren't the only QBs to struggle in their transition to the NFL so why compare them?  Also why is this just about their mental acumen for the position?

I didn't like Haskins as a prospect coming out.  I thought he would be a bust.  However, it was not because of his intelligence.  I just thought he was slow, unathletic, had a sloppy body, and mediocre arm.   He was PHYSICALLY limited not mentally.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

To people asking these sort of questions after roughly 20 minutes worth of football from Haskins, I have one question:

What exactly were you expecting?

Didn't you know? Every rookie has to be amazing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

In today's NFL, most of them do play pretty well.  So it's alarming when a guy falls flat on his face.

It isn't 2002 anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

In today's NFL, most of them do play pretty well.  So it's alarming when a guy falls flat on his face.

It isn't 2002 anymore.

This.  His play to date has to at least be somewhat alarming.  Too soon to declare bust be he certainly isn't trending in the right direction.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

No, they at least need to be competent.

Which Haskins hasn’t shown at all.

This is the same guy where most of this thread declared “QB1”(no clue why), yet he looks much worse than Kyler, Minshew, & Jones.

Edited by ClutchDJ

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

It isn't 2002 anymore.

Great, playing pretty well as a rookie isn't indicative of future success. Furthermore, I think it's even more ridiculous that the sample sizing is a half against the Giants and a half against the Vikings in a primetime game, short week, coming in as a the backup, against a good-great defense.

The Vikings are top 5 in points and total yards. The Giants game? Yeah that was bad.

Edited by JoshstraDaymus
  • Like 2