Time to cave

amazingandre

29 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The interior OL is still trash, even with Brown. I do not debate that we should give in to Brown, but don't think that improves much.

As long as Jeff Allen and Susan Sua Filo start, the OL is a weakness.

I would go with Brown, Allen, Martin, Mantz, Clark

Brown'd help. Brown & Newton may even make for an average to slightly above average line.. but that sorry excuse they rolled out there yesterday. oof. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around for why that happened, but the first person that comes to mind is Rick Smith. How he thought Breno Jokeroni, Kendall "sacrificial" Lamm, and chris clark I mean.. We spent all that money of Jeff Allen too. Glad we didn't pay XSF yet. Jesus. 

Mancz should be starting at LG this week. I dont know what happened to Filo, but he wasnt this bad last year. The line got a lot better when we put in Mancz and Clark in the 2nd half. 

it also doesnt help that we had 2 WRs, both of which hadn't played since the first pre season game, and we were down to our 3rd TE. 

Its been a perfect storm of bad luck. I am not going to add to it by giving Brown more money when hes barely worth what hes getting paid. At most, i offer to waive the massive amounts of fines he has incurred, and only because we are desperate. 

F Duane Brown.  If I hear how he was the big "winner" of week 1 one more time I'm going to puke.  This guy is the 2nd highest paid tackle in the NFL this season in base salary (as soon as he shows up) and will get a raise next year.  This is a one time All-Pro that has been suspended for roids TWICE, and missed 7 games the past two seasons.  Emmitt Smith held out for a Super Bowl team.  Kam Chancellor held out for a Super Bowl team.  Unlike you, Both WERE ACTUALLY BEING VASTLY UNDERPAID. Aaron Donald is back and he has 10 times the argument you have and unlike you would actually get a raise if the Rams cut him. Duane Brown is a 34 year old serviceable starter for a 9-7 team that is most certainly NOT winning a Super Bowl anytime soon with him or without him.  You aren't JJ Watt, you aren't Andre Johnson, you are an LT who has had an above average career, are 4 seasons removed from your best season and are STILL being paid as if you are a top 5 LT.  Deandre Hopkins had a VALID reason to hold out last year as he was easily a top 10 overall WR and if he blows out his knee, he never gets to get paid like an elite player - Duane has not only gotten that 2nd contract, but also another extension and in terms of real cash paid, is already the 2nd highest paid Texan of all time.  Also remember - it's not like this year and next year do not include guaranteed money - he just already cashed the entire $13.4 million bonus from his 2012 extension and get's paid $9.4 if he steps on a field by week 8 - not having bonus on the books is simply a cap manuever, not a real-life - he got ALL the cash the day he signed the extension.  It's like paying someone cash up front to fix your roof for an agreed upon price, then they leave 1/4 of the roof unfinished - and want more money to finish it. Add to that what average Houstonians went thru with Harvey and absolutely f anyone congratulating him for cashing in on the Texans week 1 performance as it is pretty much tantamount to price gouging at a time where the money he's given up already for not showing up would rebuild 2-3 homes and the $19 million he is already contracted to receive in 17-18 would rebuild a neighborhood. 

Go friggin earn it and it will not be an issue.  If you don't trust the Texans to not cut you this offseason, then shove it up our butts next year if you are good enough to get a deal better than almost $10 million next year.  Might want to ask Andre Johnson how that worked out, though.  For God's sake, it's not like we have your successor on the friggin roster - you would have to fall off a cliff to get cut (or test positive again, hmmm). "Pay the man" Texan fans need to look at what has been roiders like Cushing are eating up of our cap ($9.3 million) before setting the precedent of locking up 33 year olds 2 years before they have played out their current top of the wage scale deals (see also Arian Foster). Jags 21 year old LT Cam Robinson is being paid $465,000 in salary and $811,000 in bonus this season and just kept Watt, Clowney, and Mercilus from doing so much as making Bortles break a sweat on Sunday - so go tell me why Jacksonville shouldn't have kicked Brandon Albert to the curb once he decided too late that he actually wanted his pay check!   As a reminder we ARE still paying Derek Newton his entire salary again this year despite his career having clearly ended over a year ago - injuries are not an excuse for wanting a guarantee when you are 35 as you can't be cut while injured and he IS under contract for 2 more years. 

To finish the rant - F stupid fans & media who see 10 sacks and think it's because 1 guy wasn't there rather than the GM failing to address LT depth and 3 other positions on the o-line that gave up 9 of those sacks.  Add an assist to O'Brien for fielding a woefully prepared soft out of shape team, a ridiculous gameplan that continues to run a scatback inside the tackles, and starting another QB statue with no pocket presence.  We are a better team with DB than without him, but you could say the same about us without JJ Watt last year and it's not like we got a discount on his $15 million cap number when he went down AND the defense IMPROVED.  BUT unlike the o-line we actually had a depth chart full of top picks in the front 7 playing up to their draft position and salaries to pick up the slack, not a gaggle of UDFAs, a fat 2nd round bust, a fat paycheck player in Allen, and whatever useless sack of crap Breno Giacomini is (why is he still on this roster today?).    F Brown & Smith!

Has anyone even heard a word about Duane Brown coming back or anything like that? 

At this point the front office has all the leverage really. Brown is losing a ton of money that he will never get back, meanwhile the front office at the very least is sending the message that it doesnt matter who you are, if you hold out, we wont cave in. 

I'm thinking about it as though he's injured. Like, what if he came back and got injured in his first game back? Seems more probable than it would have seemed had he played throughout camp and the preseason. Also, he usually misses a few games due to injury. THEREFORE, we have to be able to win without him. 

I'm no OL expert, but in my opinion Davenport looked like our best tackle throughout the preseason. There's your Duane Brown successor right there folks. Much like Watson maybe wasn't "ready" to start his first NFL game, Davenport's gotta get in there and play some LT for us in my opinion. He's got the tools, he's athletic enough, and he can't possibly be worse than Tom Savage.. echerm I mean Kendall Lamm. It was good to see him get in the game last night and play relatively well from what I could tell.

Another thing that this situation makes me think about is how many good players we're expected to get back for  the latter part of the season. 

Duane Brown- I think if he doesn't show up after week 8 he just gets no money or something like that so I'm expecting him to return at some point. 

Will Fuller- Last year's first round pick, could be a dangerous combination with this years first round pick.

CJ Fiedorowicz- It'll be tough replacing him until he's able to play again, but apparently he's been designated to return so we can expect him back at some point.

Brian Cushing- By the time he gets back he might be backing up Cunningham/Cole in there, but it won't hurt to have him back either. 

Not to mention that Watt's hand is currently all jacked up, he'll probably continue to improve throughout the course of the season as his finger heals.

It just feels like if we can just hang on and win enough games to give us a punchers chance at the division title towards the end of the season, getting these guys back is gonna give us the boost we need to geddit done. 

*This just in, Kevin Johnson to miss 4-6 weeks too. 

f673cee234a6d5756f04a3ff2baa2ee98115c4da

Archived