Week 9 News/Notes: DT’s in the Dog House

textaz03

With a bye week to reflect, can you provide an update on the 2019 draft class -- how much playing time have each played, how have they performed, who is trending up vs. who is trending down? - CHUCK MARE III / FORT WORTH, TX

Rob: The club loves Tony Pollard’s potential and approach, though it’s tough to find him consistent touches with the talent they have at the skill positions -- most notably Zeke Elliott. Joe Jackson and Donovan Wilson are also behind more experienced players on the depth chart. I wouldn’t write off Trysten Hill. Yes, Michael Bennett’s addition is a sign they needed help on the interior line, but I look at Hill a little like Connor Williams last year: talented, hard worker, probably needs an offseason to get stronger. We haven’t seen Connor McGovern or Jalen Jelks on the field this season because they’re on injured reserve. Mike Weber is on the practice squad and Mike Jackson just got signed by Detroit off the practice squad.

4 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Hill being the top draft choice of 2019 needs to get with the program! Showing up late for first team meetings following the bye week is unacceptable. Glad to see Garrett sending them home. 

I will say JG has been consistent as a disciplinarian.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

With a bye week to reflect, can you provide an update on the 2019 draft class -- how much playing time have each played, how have they performed, who is trending up vs. who is trending down? - CHUCK MARE III / FORT WORTH, TX

Rob: The club loves Tony Pollard’s potential and approach, though it’s tough to find him consistent touches with the talent they have at the skill positions -- most notably Zeke Elliott. Joe Jackson and Donovan Wilson are also behind more experienced players on the depth chart. I wouldn’t write off Trysten Hill. Yes, Michael Bennett’s addition is a sign they needed help on the interior line, but I look at Hill a little like Connor Williams last year: talented, hard worker, probably needs an offseason to get stronger. We haven’t seen Connor McGovern or Jalen Jelks on the field this season because they’re on injured reserve. Mike Weber is on the practice squad and Mike Jackson just got signed by Detroit off the practice squad.

I would love to see more Pollard and Zeke both in the backfield. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

In this decade, we've have only 5 picks that you could currently classify as busts in the first 3 rounds: Escobar, Mo, Gregory, Chaz, and Taco. That's 10 drafts and 26 selections. Pretty terrific hit rate.

But I must say, I'm a bit nervous that Hill is going bump that number up to 6.

3 of those (with Hill) are Dlineman at that

16 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

In this decade, we've have only 5 picks that you could currently classify as busts in the first 3 rounds: Escobar, Mo, Gregory, Chaz, and Taco. That's 10 drafts and 26 selections. Pretty terrific hit rate.

But I must say, I'm a bit nervous that Hill is going bump that number up to 6.

And that’s also why I’m glad we didn’t trade 3 top 2 round picks for Adams. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Man, Juan Thornhill sure would look nice in the secondary. 

Yep and what are his stats again? Pretty sure he has been everything billed in the draft. 

If they weren't confident Hill would produce this year then they shouldn't have drafted for need. 

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yep and what are his stats again? Pretty sure he has been everything billed in the draft. 

If they weren't confident Hill would produce this year then they shouldn't have drafted for need. 

Yeah...with not having a first rounder (technically), our first pick should have been someone able to contribute right away, especially given the status of our DL. 

I'm not ready to call Hill a bust...but he hasn't exactly shown much promise. 

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Sometimes I wonder if this is a product of too many voices in the room. It hasn’t worked out to bad overall and misses are bound to happen, but this one, like Taco are a little peculiar. Neither player really seem to fit what Dallas was actually looking for.