Trent Williams said the growth on his head was misdiagnosed and he had cancer

TOUCAN

On 11/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, Thaiphoon said:

The key quote is here.

Yes, this was about money (and/or getting out of Washington). Always has been. The medical issue was (and still is) a smokescreen. Because the guy could've gotten a 2nd opinion at any time in the last 5+ years. 

He didn't. And now also can't shut up about how he's playing on the years of his deal that contain no guaranteed money. For those of us who negotiate deals on a regular basis, this is what is known as "Negotiation Interests" or "NI". And all that means is the "NI" is what the other person is really seeking that causes them to adopt their negotiation position.

We all hate the medical staff and the trainers (or at least almost all of us do). I'm pretty much the #1 hater that I know. But they aren't at fault (from what I know right now - that could change based upon what is discovered during review) for not diagnosing a bump correctly and telling him to get a 2nd opinion and him not doing it.

Like I said before, are you going to blame a proctologist for not diagnosing cervical cancer? If not, then why blame sports medicine doctors for the same thing? They don't specialize in Oncology.

If you truly don't trust the medical staff, you're not coming back, even for 8 weeks.

IMHO - This guy wanted out and/or wanted more guaranteed money after getting all of the guaranteed money earlier in his deal. And to do it, decided to slander the medical staff because they were a convenient foil and everyone would instantly take his side because it was the visceral and easiest thing to do.

But if you're paying attention, nothing in his story adds up.

I think you're trying to make this black and white when its more complex than that.  I agree that he's asking for more guaranteed money, but it appears he's doing it because he feels slighted by the organization for misleading him on his health.  He wants the organization to show him that they value him and what he's given to the team.  This would have been a very small bone the team could have thrown him and all of this would have gone away.  Instead our GM engaged in a full blown pissing match with our best player.  

53 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think you're trying to make this black and white when its more complex than that.  I agree that he's asking for more guaranteed money, but it appears he's doing it because he feels slighted by the organization for misleading him on his health.  He wants the organization to show him that they value him and what he's given to the team.  This would have been a very small bone the team could have thrown him and all of this would have gone away.  Instead our GM engaged in a full blown pissing match with our best player.  

Except that it's becoming more and more obvious that he wasn't misled on his health. 

The organization has shown, throughout the tenure of his career, how much they value him and his contributions to the team. Williams has received over 90 million dollars from the Redskins since he was drafted by them. 

It's pretty obvious that Williams simply didn't want to play in DC anymore. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Except that it's becoming more and more obvious that he wasn't misled on his health. 

Only from information leaked by the Redskins which Trent and the NFLPA say isn't true.  The Redskins smear everyone on their way out the door.  

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The organization has shown, throughout the tenure of his career, how much they value him and his contributions to the team. Williams has received over 90 million dollars from the Redskins since he was drafted by them. 

Then why would a little extra guaranteed money thrown his way hurt?  It would have made the whole situation go away.  Which is worse, giving Trent Williams some more money and him being on the field right now or the mess that this situation has been all season?  Only a moron GM would choose the latter.  

6 minutes ago, Slateman said:

It's pretty obvious that Williams simply didn't want to play in DC anymore. 

Would you?

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Only from information leaked by the Redskins which Trent and the NFLPA say isn't true.  The Redskins smear everyone on their way out the door.  

Then why would a little extra guaranteed money thrown his way hurt?  It would have made the whole situation go away.  Which is worse, giving Trent Williams some more money and him being on the field right now or the mess that this situation has been all season?  Only a moron GM would choose the latter.  

Would you?

Actually, no, we're getting it confirmed by other sources. 

I don't think he wanted "a little extra guaranteed money." I think he wanted a lot. I think he wanted something in the neighborhood of 5 years more contract. Honestly, I'd rather not give Williams the money and trade him. To me, he has no purpose on a team that is fully rebuilding. Except maybe to serve as an example of how not to act. 

And no, I wouldn't want to work for the Redskins. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok, then why didn't the moron GM do that?

Because he's a moron. 

But if you're expecting me to have sympathy for an idiot who is going to make 9 figures in his career because he has to work for a moron, you're barking up the wrong fire hydrant. 

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

Because he's a moron. 

But if you're expecting me to have sympathy for an idiot who is going to make 9 figures in his career because he has to work for a moron, you're barking up the wrong fire hydrant. 

I'm not saying Trent deserves sympathy.  I'm saying management is moronic for not doing either:

A. Just giving him the money so this goes away.

B. Trading him away. 

You can't do neither, that is just stupid.  

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not saying Trent deserves sympathy.  I'm saying management is moronic for not doing either:

A. Just giving him the money so this goes away.

B. Trading him away. 

You can't do neither, that is just stupid.  

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The whole problem with this situation is that Dan/Bruce are more concerned with "being right" than doing what is best for the football team.  

We're not disagreeing. I just have zero sympathy for Williams.

It's like if a Nazi and a commie both get run over by a dump truck while they were trying to fight each other. 

Edited by Slateman

4 minutes ago, Slateman said:

We're not disagreeing. I just have zero sympathy for Williams.

It's like if a Nazi and a commie both get run over by a dump truck while they were trying to fight each other. 

I have some sympathy for him just because the Redskins front office has such a poor track record with pretty much everything.  Also Trent is the one with his body on the line every Sunday for this organization, Dan/Bruce just sit up in their box seats.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I have some sympathy for him just because the Redskins front office has such a poor track record with pretty much everything.  Also Trent is the one with his body on the line every Sunday for this organization, Dan/Bruce just sit up in their box seats.  

Legitimately, it feels like Williams is trying to pull a fast one on the Skins with this medical thing. Having worked directly with doctors and nurses now for the last three years, I cannot imagine a situation in which any trained medical staff would not respond with, "You should probably have someone look at that." In fact, there is no freaking way they just told him it was nothing and that was it. If anything, they would have wanted to bill the Redskins for another medical exam and procedure. So the whole concept that he brought it up, they looked at it, and they determined right there that it wasn't a problem is so blatantly unethical and leaves them so open to malpractice suits that, honesty, we'd have like a dozen more players coming out and leveling accusations against the staff. This is the equivalent to if they had just poked Alex Smith's leg and been like, it's probably broken, and that's all they did. 

And the fact that Williams just lived with this on his head, growing, and didn't say squat for five years is so laughable I don't even know how to comprehend that. It's like the women that show up to the ER with stomach pain and deliver a baby, and the whole time they're like, I didn't know I was pregnant. Yea, you dumber than dumb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

Legitimately, it feels like Williams is trying to pull a fast one on the Skins with this medical thing. Having worked directly with doctors and nurses now for the last three years, I cannot imagine a situation in which any trained medical staff would not respond with, "You should probably have someone look at that." In fact, there is no freaking way they just told him it was nothing and that was it. If anything, they would have wanted to bill the Redskins for another medical exam and procedure. So the whole concept that he brought it up, they looked at it, and they determined right there that it wasn't a problem is so blatantly unethical and leaves them so open to malpractice suits that, honesty, we'd have like a dozen more players coming out and leveling accusations against the staff. This is the equivalent to if they had just poked Alex Smith's leg and been like, it's probably broken, and that's all they did. 

And the fact that Williams just lived with this on his head, growing, and didn't say squat for five years is so laughable I don't even know how to comprehend that. It's like the women that show up to the ER with stomach pain and deliver a baby, and the whole time they're like, I didn't know I was pregnant. Yea, you dumber than dumb.

Again, I'm not arguing any of that.  Trent's a great football player but maybe he's just an idiot.  I don't care about any of that though.  I do know that Trent went to management and said I either want more money or I want to be traded.  Bruce did neither.  

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Again, I'm not arguing any of that.  Trent's a great football player but maybe he's just an idiot.  I don't care about any of that though.  I do know that Trent went to management and said I either want more money or I want to be traded.  Bruce did neither.  

I'm going to be honest, I'd probably take that stance too. If you give in once, then everyone will think they can strong arm you. Won't be long before draft picks will simply refuse to play for you. 

It's not like had an unfair contract either. Given how often he's hurt, he's probably the highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL. 

Edited by Slateman

8 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I'm going to be honest, I'd probably take that stance too. If you give in once, then everyone will think they can strong arm you. Won't be long before draft picks will simply refuse to play for you. 

It's not like had an unfair contract either. Given how often he's hurt, he's probably the highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL. 

The reality is a player as good as Trent can strong arm you at any given time.  The only way you curb that is through winning.  

My personal issue with Trent stems more from the fact that he is trying to break a contract he signed, and he also wants to give nothing in return in order to make that happen. 

I feel for him, in a sense. It must have been scary to find out he had cancer. I can see why he’d be upset that “his doctors” were wrong about this diagnosis, and that he simply trusted them for years — even though I don’t think his take seems particularly fair, for a couple reasons. 

But I’m not sympathetic to his position about wanting out of Washington. I mean, I get why he’d want to leave — I just think it’s BS that he wants his wish granted without giving up anything in return. 

If he really cared about retained the ability to make decisions about where he was going to play, he could have done that. He could have signed only short-term contracts, to preserve his freedom of choice. Instead, he signed a 5-year extension. He knowingly and willingly traded that freedom of choice for greater security. What right does he have to reap all the benefits of that long-term deal, and then attempt to break the deal when it suits his purposes, by asserting the freedom of choice he freely bargained away? 

And if the lack of guaranteed money late in his deal is such a problem, well, he had the absolute ability to protect against that too. He signed the deal that he’s now railing against. He absolutely could have signed a Cousins-type deal to ensure that most/all of his money was guaranteed. He chose not to. He traded the security of guaranteed salary for the promise of more total money — and now that he’s earned much of the money, he’s trying to extort the Redskins to get the guarantees he decided to forego when they made the deal. 

Maybe it’s just the lawyer in me, but I believe that when a man gives his word and his promise, he stands by it. And if he reaches a point where he wants to reneges his promise, he should at least have the decency to find a way to make it work out okay for the other side (that he’s screwing over). 

He could have come back and played a couple games before the deadline, in order to help build his value. He could have not reported at all, to preserve the two years left on his contract, in order to help maintain his trade value in the offseason. He could even just play out the season now that he’s reported, to rebuild some of his trade value. 

Instead, he’s taken a course that appears to be intended to screw the Redskins at every turn. And that’s what I don’t respect. He is the one who wants to renege on the contract — he could at least have worked with them to help accommodate his demand, but he’s obviously determined just to have his cake and eat it too. 

• Like 1